Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drwowe
  1.    #1  
    I downloaded 2 ringtones from Sprint onto my Treo 650.

Does anyone know how to unlock them? Right now I can't copy them for backup purposes. (I have no intention of posting them on the 'net or anything ...)
    This is possible. You need to edit the file "MIDI Ringtones" in your phone's memory. The file contains one record for each ringtone. The records turn on the "secret" bit if a ringtone is locked. You just need to turn off the secret bit.

You could do this by hex-editing the file on your PC, or by running a program on your palm that lets you toggle the bit.
  3.    #3  
    I'll give it a try .... thanks.
    I do appreciate the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    This is possible. You need to edit the file "MIDI Ringtones" in your phone's memory. The file contains one record for each ringtone. The records turn on the "secret" bit if a ringtone is locked. You just need to turn off the secret bit.

You could do this by hex-editing the file on your PC, or by running a program on your palm that lets you toggle the bit.

Can you give an example on how to do this? I tried checking the file's attributes in the system memory and it is not secret. Is there no other way to add MIDI Ringtones on the Default set?
  5.    #5  
    What is the file that I am looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeard
    Can you give an example on how to do this? I tried checking the file's attributes in the system memory and it is not secret. Is there no other way to add MIDI Ringtones on the Default set?
    It's not the file itself that's secret, it's on a per-record basis INSIDE the file. The current version of Filez lets you browse inside the file using the "Edit" option in the menu. I modified the Filez source code and created a version that allows editing the flags.
    Fuzzilla likes this.
  7.    #7  
    It's not the file itself that's secret, it's on a per-record basis INSIDE the file. The current version of Filez lets you browse inside the file using the "Edit" option in the menu. I modified the Filez source code and created a version that allows editing the flags.
    Ok ... which file do I have to browse inside of?

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Could I bum a copy of your modified program from you?!?
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    Here's the one you need with my modifications.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I looked inside the file MIDIRINGTONES but none of the records have the secret attribute turned on and they are still locked - a lock shows up when I use lightwav and try to assign one of the locked ringers..
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I got it to work by finding the individual ringtone file and turning off the COPY PROTECT attribute on the file..
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe View Post
    Here's the one you need with my modifications.
    Hey I have a 680 and the latest firmware lets us use mp3s for ringtones, the way to get them in is a pain though. If I have them on the SD card I can browse in blazer to file:///AUDIO/song.mp3 but that is a pain to type in the whole thing for long songs i.e.
    file:///AUDIO/Dave%20Matthews%20Band%20-%20Ants%20Marching.mp3

Could you hack a copy of filez that would make mp3 files on the SD card linkable to blazer? or perhaps an 'Send to blazer' button or menu option?

Thanks!

I'm just curious here, but if you have an .mp3 file that you want as a ringer on your SD card, why can't you use Minitones to make a ringer of the .mp3 and then when you click ADD, it puts it in your ringtone folder