1.    #1  
    Ah the joys of the Treo 650.

In the Toronto area Rogers and Fido (now owned by Rogers) are the GSM carriers. To ensure that there are no future roaming charges, I configured to the phone to manually select Fido.

But....when you power of the device and power it back on it just goes and selects the best connection which is Rogers in my area. Also, sometimes during the day the phone just switches over to Rogers and flashes the roaming message even though Fido has been manually selected and the automatic button at the bottom of the screen was not pressed.

Perhaps the replacement 650 I received today has this as well as the low volume, echo echo and scratchy connector issues resolved.

Has anyone else experience the unwanted roaming phenomenon?
    I can't say that I have experience the unwanted roaming issue, but I travel to Australia and Brazil and since the network selection option is not available on the 650 version I am currently using I get no choice, I have to live with the network that is detected.

Does anyone know a way to "turn on" the ability to do network selection?
    Quote Originally Posted by delostech
    I can't say that I have experience the unwanted roaming issue, but I travel to Australia and Brazil and since the network selection option is not available on the 650 version I am currently using I get no choice, I have to live with the network that is detected.

Does anyone know a way to "turn on" the ability to do network selection?
    Are you using Cingular? Cingular disables manual network selection in the SIM programing. The phone support it with AT&T and T-Mobile (and all other SIMS for that matter) but it's what cingular did to the SIM. They insist they can not re-program the SIM to enable it for me (some say it can be done.)
    I'm hoping some nice hacker will hack a patch for us in the Treo 650 to ignore the request of the SIM to hide this option (that is, enable it against the SIM's wishes.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I had the same issue. I work downtown Detroit and Windsor Ontario CANADA is just slightly longervthab a stone' s throw out my window. I am on the 21st floor. My unlocked Treo 650 (on T-Mobile) would roam on to either Rogers or Fido all day. I kept getting charges. Since I received the replacement unit (because of other issues), I have not had the issue again. I will have to check my online statement. I would get charges when making, receiving, checking VM and data activity when unknownly roaming. T-Mobile would take charges off or be creative to recover costs.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Are you using Cingular? Cingular disables manual network selection in the SIM programing.
    Actually, the Cingular SIM allows manual selection as long as you are not in an area served by Cingular (e.g., outside of the USA). I noticed this on a recent trip to Asia. Once back in the US, manual selection is again disabled.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Actually, some older Cingular SIMs do allow manual network selection. I have one and use it to lock on to a strong ATT signal at home (where the Cingular signal is weak). This is for a SIM purchased a few years ago in California...
    Yes I have the same issue with Fido and Rogers. Unfortunately the network selection features in $699 Treo is not to advanced compared to a $99 phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Xochi
    Actually, some older Cingular SIMs do allow manual network selection. I have one and use it to lock on to a strong ATT signal at home (where the Cingular signal is weak). This is for a SIM purchased a few years ago in California...
    Yes, older SIMS (like at least 2 or more years old.) I understand the 32K Gemplus is Locked, but earlier SIMS are unlocked according to the tech support person I spoke with as Cingular. By unlocked, I mean manual network selection is unlocked vs. locked (or disabled.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G