Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Stay out of Cingular shops <grin>. Go into a brick and mortar "all carriers" store. Buy your Treo.....use it as a phone for a few days until your account shows up on Cingular web site. Go in to your account, select add features, select Media Net.....no need for phone swappie "tricksy hobbits" stuff.

And you'll save money in the "all carriers" store.....Cingular store wanted 2 year contract and %50 more. Being able to offer "competition" in the same store seems to make pricing and dealing between the carriers more agressive.

As for the what they know and what they can control issue, I don't know....seems to me it wouldn't be hard to put something in say a firmware update that detects what account type you have and limits speed internally to the device.....but again, some one would figure out a hack within a few months.

I people with "unlimited data" plans can be listening to their Treos like an Ipod with an FM radio.....streaming audio all day long off some web site and if they wanna have any bandwidth left, methinks they gotta either eventually put a dish on every other house or or put some controls on the service.

Phones have long worked on multiple bands.....if one band wasn't available it picked up another...seems a manufacturer could stop a phone from picking up on a band if it wanted to. If a phone system can detect "caller ID", it seems it can also monitor and control the signal to that ID. Whether the technology to do it could be made cost effective enough to implement is another story.
    "Tricksy Hobbit" -- funny.

Soooooo.... I'm looking at the order form right here at the Treocentral store and with the Cingular plan, they prompt a $19.99 Unlimited MediaNet choice with a little disclaimer that Cingular might change this when the order is complete. Thanks for the recommendations - I'll just leave that blank and sign up later.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Cingular (like all other carriers) plays a shell game with their plans. There are so many "choices" and "features" that they confuse the buying public which gives them leverage in the negotiation for your business. Cingular formerly had a $19.99 Unlimited MediaWORKS choice, but it has been discontinued in favor of an unlimited MediaNET choice for $24.99. My guess is they will tell you after the fact that the cost is $24.99.

I ordered thru TreoCentral also. Call them on the phone and listen to their advice. They steered me the right way. But be prepared to spend muliple calls and hours talking to Cingular changing your plan after the fact. Cingular's customer service has been documented to be the worst in the industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    Cingular (like all other carriers) plays a shell game with their plans. There are so many "choices" and "features" that they confuse the buying public which gives them leverage in the negotiation for your business. Cingular formerly had a $19.99 Unlimited MediaWORKS choice, but it has been discontinued in favor of an unlimited MediaNET choice for $24.99. My guess is they will tell you after the fact that the cost is $24.99.

I ordered thru TreoCentral also. Call them on the phone and listen to their advice. They steered me the right way. But be prepared to spend muliple calls and hours talking to Cingular changing your plan after the fact. Cingular's customer service has been documented to be the worst in the industry.
    Respectfully, I have to disagree. The Sprint and T-Mobile data plans are simple and unambiguous. Sprint is simply $15.00 per month for their unlimited vision, while T-Mobile is simply $19.99 per month for the unlimited T-Mobile Internet. With Cingular, there appears to be a maze to navigate.
    David
    Here's a little story about frustrating cellular providers and their BS.

I used the old Cellular One service about three years ago. I went to the storefront shop in the middle of town and bought a phone and service. Everything worked great as I lived very close to an interstate and a tower was nearby. The rest of the town had horrible service. So I moved, and of course, my service disappeared. So I went down to the local shop, where service is unavailable, and started asking them when if I could trade phones, maybe something with a better antennae would work better. They wouldn't do that, so I broke my insured phone and got a different one for a replacement. Same problems. I had to break my contract and threatened legal action if they tried to stick me with the $150 cancellation fee. After many days of the old back and forth with them (and no phone service) they finally conceded.

Until...... I went down to the new and improved shop (AT&T's network always worked really well around here) and tried to buy the Treo 650. I am thankful that a mystery $22 charge was still on record because I would have gotten ripped off because I forgot about this board. I made sure I was paid up with them when I left because I didn't want some delinquent charge to harm my credit status if I ever went back. So I tracked down their billing department and asked them to send an invoice of that $22. "We can't do that, we don't know what the charge was for". Oh, so let me just hand you my money for something you say I owe, yet you don't know why I owe it.

The guy on the phone seemed helpful enough when he said he contacted a manager and waived the $22 charge so I could become a customer again. However.... I've dealt with a few cell providers and I know that you have to call them at least three to five times if you want to make sure everything is in order.

So I go over to the Sprint store and see what kinds of deals they are offering. I've had the Treo 300 for about two years now and the flip has broken (again). The greaseball sales associate immediately ripped into me about my 300!!!! He said it was "ancient", that his friend has one "stored in a box in his garage", that it is slow as hell and was a total rip-off. I said, "thanks for the tip, um, that's why I'm in here". He then starts to grill me, he wants to know why I want the 650. I tell him because I'm going to use it as a wireless modem, but I'll have to find some hacks for that because I'm sure Sprint has disabled that feature just like they did with the 300, which they advertised as a wireless modem, which is why I bought it in the first place!!!! He tells me to buy one of their wireless PC cards. At that point I am seriously thinking I'm dealing the mentally retarded or they youth of our nation are maybe just a step above the mentally retarded.

Soooo....

I have to wait until July 1st before I qualify for an "upgrade rebate" through Sprint. They don't seem to mind that I have been out of their contract for over a year and don't want me back in a new one. I called Sprint and asked them how much they value me as a customer. Whoooosh, that July 1st restriction disappeared. "Just tell them to look in the notes, it will be there".. I'll be calling back another couple of times before that note gets in there.

So the moral of this story/rant: Thank the heavens for the internet where you don't have to go anywhere and deal with these twats.
    Quote Originally Posted by defii
    Respectfully, I have to disagree. The Sprint and T-Mobile data plans are simple and unambiguous. Sprint is simply $15.00 per month for their unlimited vision, while T-Mobile is simply $19.99 per month for the unlimited T-Mobile Internet. With Cingular, there appears to be a maze to navigate.
    My experience with Sprint was quite different. I was on their web site looking at well over a dozen, perhapstwo dozen 2 "Vison" plans and the CSR kept telling me to ignore the big list of different plans web site and just listen to what he was saying.
  6.    #26  
    Well, I got a Sprint 650 with the caveat that I can return it within 14 days.
    Pricing was straightforward and I even got a corporate discount off my monthly, and they matched the best price I found as long as I took a 2 year plan (either way, it's a wash, because the early termination fee of $150 will cancel out the phone savings if I leave early).

Haven't even used voice yet but I'm fairly pleased with the sprint coverage in my area.
    One hitch - data rates look like 50-70k, not the 100+ that I've read about and that I was getting with Verizon (and even verizon seemed really slow to me).
    If Sprint tops out at 70k, I may need to look at Cingular after all.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12