1.    #1  
    Hi, y'all.

I currently have a Treo 600, and use Sandisk Cruzer 256MB USB flash drive.
    And I was researching 1GB flash drive for an upgrade.
    However I realized that I can sue SD card with Treo 600.
    Because I never used SD card with Treo 600, here are some basic questions.

If I connect Treo 600 (with SD card installed) to PC via sync cable, will the PC recognize it as a "removable disk" like it does for USB flash drive?

How about transfer speed? My USB 2.0 flash drive moves data about 4-5Mbps through PC's USB 1.1 port.

If I use the sync cable that came with Treo 600, is there any transfer rate difference between regular SD cards and hi-speed SD cards (32X, 60X...)?

Do you actually use your Treo 600 as USB flash drive?

I really appreciate your time and help.
    You would need something like Card Export to "mount" the Treo.

Transfer speed would probably be better just going through a card reader, but what are you moving? Small pics aren't too bad, but if you're moving your entire Pink Floyd mp3 collection over, I would use a reader.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Are you currently using it? If so, how many seconds does it take to trasnfer 20MB data? (mp3, or avi...)
    I will probably move mp3s mostly.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    20MB? Maybe a minute or two. Not as fast as a reader, but you don't have anything extra to carry around. I use CardExport to move my music around and it's fine for me.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    What he said!

If you don't have a reader handy, it's probably the next best thing.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ub4me
    Hi, y'all.

I currently have a Treo 600, and use Sandisk Cruzer 256MB USB flash drive.
    And I was researching 1GB flash drive for an upgrade.
    However I realized that I can sue SD card with Treo 600.
    Because I never used SD card with Treo 600, here are some basic questions.

If I connect Treo 600 (with SD card installed) to PC via sync cable, will the PC recognize it as a "removable disk" like it does for USB flash drive?

How about transfer speed? My USB 2.0 flash drive moves data about 4-5Mbps through PC's USB 1.1 port.

If I use the sync cable that came with Treo 600, is there any transfer rate difference between regular SD cards and hi-speed SD cards (32X, 60X...)?

Do you actually use your Treo 600 as USB flash drive?

I really appreciate your time and help.
    1) Not normally. You'll need Softick CardExport to do this. Nice utility to have around.

2) It's pretty slow. The Treos are USB1.1 devices. And they're somewhat slower than a regular USB1.1 card reader when using CardExport.

3) See #2.

4) When I need to quickly sync a small number of files I use CardExport. Much more convenient than taking the card out and popping it into my MobileMate and plugging it in.

There are at least two supercompact SD card readers on the market that aren't very expensive. I have a SanDisk MobileMate SD+, it's USB2.0 and $20 at Best Buy, I love it when I need to do large transfers. Lexar makes the JumpDrive Trio reader ($20 at WalMart IIRC), which is larger but can contain the SD card completely within itself, so you can carry it around like a normal thumb drive. (With the MobileMate, the SD card sticks out from the side of the device, so walking around with the card in the reader is not exactly the best idea. But it's not too hard to pop the card out of my Treo and into the reader, so I prefer the MobileMate because it's smaller than the Lexar Trio.)
  7.    #7  
    I'm a bit hesitant to jump right off the bat because you told me that the sync cable speed is not that fast. But I'll surely research Sandisk MobileMate or JumpDrive Trio reader.
    Thanks for your help!
    I have reader but still sprung the $15 for the CardExport. Now I can backup my SD card to another without needing to do a card shuffle.

Primary card in the Treo, backup card in the card reader. Simple copy.

Aloke
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I have reader but still sprung the $15 for the CardExport. Now I can backup my SD card to another without needing to do a card shuffle.

Primary card in the Treo, backup card in the card reader. Simple copy.

Aloke
    Yup, that's pretty much what I'm doing. CardExport for the little stuff (like daily syncs of my Plucker databases), MobileMate for the big stuff (putting movies onto the SD card.