1.    #1  
    I'm the lucky person with the task of configuring my boss's new Treo650.
    It's been a long road.

She has LOTS of contacts, and the list is a mess. Double entries with misspelled names, double numbers, a mess.
    VoiceDial DOES NOT work if all of the contacts (about 1000) are voice activated. I do not blame the software developers for this, I blame the messy contact list.

VoiceDial works very well if I keep the contacts down to the essentials.
    What I've done is this--
    Manually enter the essential contact list of about 20 people and voice activate that list only. Then I load up (using sync or IR) the rest of her contacts and choose NOT to voice activate that list.

Of course (and I knew this was inevitable) she needs to add a new contact to her voice activated 'essentials' list.

My question: Is there ANY possible way to manually add one contact out of 1000? Pick and choose contacts? Enter 20 contacts at once and voice activate two?
    If anyone has the answer please please share it with me.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    By voicedial I am assuming that you mean the Palmone Voicedial program that came on the CD with the phone. As far as I can see, there is no limitation to the number of names it will activate so not sure where the problem is with choosing.
    never used voice dial, but what if you just upload the new contact via synch or whatever, and choose to make the new contact voice activated.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    If your talking about voicedial by VoiceSignal, there is nothing to setup (at least on mine). It is the greatest invention since sliced bread. :-)
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    Totally!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Voice Dial is incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillter
    My question: Is there ANY possible way to manually add one contact out of 1000? Pick and choose contacts? Enter 20 contacts at once and voice activate two?
    I think you are talking about VoiceDialer and not Voice Dial by Voice Signal. My recommendation, get VoiceSigna''s app.
    Be carefull of bloat though. Voice Dial takes up a little space for each contact to store a voice tag to check against. I ferget how much per contact so I don't know if it will matter on 1000 contacts or not. I believe they say they can do up to 3000 contacts.

BTW I have the app and I'm not so excited about it. It seems to be more combersome at times then it is worth.
    Last edited by breitweiser; 03/17/2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    I think VoiceDial by Voicesignal has a 1000 name limit.
    You can have it either update using the contact list automatically so it will recognize names that have been added recently, or you can specify when to update.

What Phillter has done is add only the 20 names to the Treo, had Voicedial update it's records using those twenty, then turned off automatic updates.

Then added the rest of the names.

To answer the question, I think there is no way to do what you are looking for with Voicesignal Voicedial. It is the best voice dialing software IMHO but I haven't had the problem of having over 1000 contacts.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I think VoiceDial by Voicesignal has a 1000 name limit.
    You can have it either update using the contact list automatically so it will recognize names that have been added recently, or you can specify when to update.

What Phillter has done is add only the 20 names to the Treo, had Voicedial update it's records using those twenty, then turned off automatic updates.

To answer the question, I think there is no way to do what you are looking for with Voicesignal Voicedial. It is the best voice dialing software IMHO but I haven't had the problem of having over 1000 contacts.
    I went looking for the 1000 name limit and cant find any info saying that. Where did you get that info?

rob
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb

Yes, that is what I've done. Thank you for clarifying for me!

So--there is no way to manually voice activate one or two names from the larger contact list? I wonder if anyone else has considered this to be a problem...

The software I'm using on the 650 is the VoiceDial app. that shipped with the Treo. I'm using the liscensed software, not trial.

Would anyone know how I should give feedback to the developers? Maybe they can deal with this limitation at some point?
    OR, maybe someone could offer a suggestion for another voice dial app?

Thanks,
    Phil
    This may be a dumb question, but where is everyone getting the Voice dial app??

I just recieved my unlocked phone from Vienna Channels. I do not see the app on the included CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva
    This may be a dumb question, but where is everyone getting the Voice dial app??

I just recieved my unlocked phone from Vienna Channels. I do not see the app on the included CD.
    It should be on the CD. It is also found here: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...s/treo650.html
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Not seeing it on the provided cd, but thanks for the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva
    Not seeing it on the provided cd, but thanks for the link!
    It was not on my CD either.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I use VoiceDial (downloaded off the P1 site).

I Have over 1400 contacts, with some dupes. My VoiceDial app is only about 1MB and works well. Where did you get the 1000 name limit, and the dupe problem.

I have even added contacts like "Home" and "Office" (add them to the company field) for quicker dialing.

The app is not faster than the address book lookup, but I don't think it is supposed to be. BT Headset, driving down the PA turnpike - press side button, name the contact, confirm selection - you're connected - and I never took my eyes off the road !!!!

I tried the worst contact in my address book (an ethnic name that took me a while to learn personally) and it got it right the first time. This is a GREAT app for anyone who makes calls from the road.
    pabo,

Which utility are you using to launch VoicedDial with the side button? Also, does the voice recognition work through a bluetooth headset or only through the phone microphone? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton Bale
    pabo,

Which utility are you using to launch VoicedDial with the side button? Also, does the voice recognition work through a bluetooth headset or only through the phone microphone? Thanks!
    No utility needed, it's built into the VoiceDialing app and asks you during setup.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    go to prefs (the application) and set the side button to launch voicedail - this is standard Treo functionality.

as for the voice recognition, BT in the 650 seems to only support voice on the call, not otherwise. I speak at the front of the Treo - Captain Kirk style - if you know what I mean... If you don't, hold it 6 to 12 inches from your face and talk.

I like the app because I tested in my car on the highway with the radio on - worked the first time. Speak clearly, moderate speed and don't run your words together for best recognition. I have not even tweaked the settings from the factory defaults.....

this is a nice app.... well worth the $$
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcatnat
    No utility needed, it's built into the VoiceDialing app and asks you during setup.

you're right - that too....