Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I desprately need to conserve memory but can't figure out how to do the following:

- Install apps with their own installer to my SD card. For example, the installer for an app like Vindigo does not offer this option

- Move already installed apps to the SD card (Is this even possible without uninstalling then reinstalling?)

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I haven't found this info anywhere on Treocentral or Palmone.

Thanks,
    pablo
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Using a 3rd party launcher like ZLauncher is probably the easiest way to do this. After you install ZLauncher you can simply tap & hold an icon and a pop-up menu will appear with an option to move the app to the SD card. Tap that option and ZLauncher will do the rest.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    My favorite is LauncherX, because it's both full-featured and easy to use - it's very intuitive. I also paid for it quite some time ago.

Anyway, third-party launchers are indeed the easiest way to do this.

If you do go with LauncherX, there is a patch out to fix it for the Treo 650 5-way controller.
    I was using ZLauncher, but to save even more space I recommend you try PowerRun. I use PowerRun to move most all my apps to the SD card and now have over 30 apps with about 10MB RAM free.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    If you choose zlauncher... select move to card, check related databases and create a shortcut.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys. Will give this a shot.
  7.    #7  
    Has it occurred to anyone else that Palmone should be shipping one of these apps with the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    If you choose zlauncher... select move to card, check related databases and create a shortcut.
    If you use zLauncher to move Vindigo to the card, as you indicated you want to do, make sure you do NOT select "move related databases".

Every time I tried to move Vindigo with related database, I'd always get a "data was corrupted" error from Vindigo. When I moved it without the related databases, it would work fine.

The "related databases" don't take up that much space (it looks like all the city-specific info is kept in the main database that does get moved), so the move is still a space-saver. For me, moving Vindigo to the card drops the RAM usage from about 3,200K to 82K (and I just have Manhattan and Brooklyn).

Just keep in mind that you should set the PC Hotsync conduit for Vindigo to "Do Nothing" and only sync Vindigo using the wireles sync option. You can't sync Vindigo when it's on the card. If you try to Hotsync Vindigo while it's on the card, you'll corrupt the database and will have to uninstall/reinstall Vindigo.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
  9.    #9  
    Well, this has turned out to be totally frustrating. Have tried all three. Results so far:

Z-Launcher - When I install to card I get an error message about there being "no availalble theme" even though I have installed the theme

PowerRun - Moving Vindigo to SD card, breaks the app. Perhaps it is for the reason stated above. Regardless, it seems that every time I launch Vindigo from the card I will have to sit through the PowerRUn startup sequence. Not acceptable

LauncherX- Completely baffling UI. Can't figure out how to move entire apps to the card, just individidual files. Don't want to muck around with those because who knows what I might break.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    A little black tape a few wires hanging out and one of these Slim 80 giggers will solve your probelms.

http://www.twomobile.com/content/100/102/C3570/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you can figure out how to get zLauncher to work, I'd recommend that over PowerRun. I know a lot of people swear by it, but it proved unreliable for me: lots of resets with various apps and a 100% failure rate with Vindigo.

I've had zero problems with zLauncher's App RAM<->SD functionality ever since I elected to not use the "move related databases" option.

As for getting ZL to see the theme, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe install the theme's prc file in a seperate hot synch action first?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
  12.    #12  
    Well that worked...sort of.

Apart from not being able to hotsync vindigo, it takes about 5 seconds for zLauncher to start the app, plus another 5 seconds for it to shut down.

When's that damn patch gonna be ready?
  13. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I don't know if I am an exception to the rule but I have experienced no problem moving Vindigo to my SD card using ZLauncher (including related databases). It does take a bit longer to initially open and close but it is a large program and it makes sense it would take a bit longer to copy back and forth from the card and RAM.

One word of advice when installing Vindigo on your PC make sure the server settings in the Vindigo Link are correct. The server settings can be found by openning the program called Vindigo Link (the default directory is c:/programs/vindigo on your PC)

They should be:

server: Vindigo
    URL: www.vindigo.com
    Port: 80
    username: the username you just setup
    password: the password you just setup
    For what it's worth:

My understanding is that, with LauncherX, than if you create a shortcut (that is, move the app to the card, and then move it again - this time creating the shortcut), that the app data will sync even though it is stored on the card. I have not tested this much at all, and I do have Vindingo on my device, so I cannot vouch for how well this might work with Vindigo.

With LauncherX, to move "associated" files they must have the same "Creator" and the "Bundled" bit must be set (at least I think so, anyway). You can set the "Creator" with FileZ, and the "Bundled" bit can be set with either LauncherX's built-in file manager or FileZ.

I've got 76 (at last count) apps and 11.1 MB available. and I do not use PowerRun.

Note that apps that use system event as triggers (alarms, etc.) will not work properly form the SD Card, and, for DocstoGo (if you use that), the app comes with direction about how to set it up to work with the SDCard.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    Apart from not being able to hotsync vindigo, it takes about 5 seconds for zLauncher to start the app, plus another 5 seconds for it to shut down.
    Well, you are moving 3Meg of data each way.

If you jump straight from Vindigo to another app, say the phone app by tapping a phone number in a vindigo listing or pressing a hard button that doesn't go to zLauncher or another app on the card, it shouldn't invoke the move back to the card.

The only downside being that you still have that 3Meg of RAM taken up... but as soon as you go to ZL or another carded app, Vindigo will get sent back to the card again.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Has anybody tried any of this with ePocrates? This app is chewing up over 10MB.
    What version of Launcher X are you guys using, because I've never seen any of these options to create shortcuts and move programs to SD. You can easily move files back and forth, but they don't show up as shortcuts in Launcher -- that I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    What version of Launcher X are you guys using, because I've never seen any of these options to create shortcuts and move programs to SD. You can easily move files back and forth, but they don't show up as shortcuts in Launcher -- that I've seen.
    Yeah, it's on page 16 of the LauncherX manual. I had to read pages 15, 16 an 17 a few times for this all to make sense and I'm still not sure it has...
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Has anybody tried any of this with ePocrates? This app is chewing up over 10MB.
    Yup, and I had to uninstall it to free up my Treo's memory. I really wish they would consider making their program external-memory-friendly.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Regarding ePocrates, they are finally coming around. I've asked about SD support for years and they've never showed any interest, but recently they told me that they are working on this and hope to have it out by the end of the year.

In the meantime, you can use AvantageRx, which doesn't quite work perfectly but is useful fot temporarily freeing up more memory.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast