Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Regarding ePocrates, they are finally coming around. I've asked about SD support for years and they've never showed any interest, but recently they told me that they are working on this and hope to have it out by the end of the year...
    End of the year, heh? That's a long way off. By then, I'll be using the "treo 700" with 64MB of built-in RAM.

I think I'll just trash the Dx, tables and labs sections. I really like their user interface, especially the Multi-check feature. I like the ID component as well, but don't need it that often. Too bad there's no 5-way support.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I think I'll just trash the Dx, tables and labs sections. I really like their user interface, especially the Multi-check feature. I like the ID component as well, but don't need it that often. Too bad there's no 5-way support.
    Won't those just reappear after a hotsync?
    I tried PowerRun and it worked fine (did not experiment with moving Vindigo), but LinkStart seems to offer the exact same performance and features as PowerRun and it's free.

I was able to move PocketTune, FileZ, Missing Sync and others with no problems. Check it out:

http://www.hexview.com/linkstart/
  4.    #24  
    I've got a complete mess on my hands now. After using zLancher to move Vindigo to the card, I was still getting low memory warnings. So, I checked the files on the Treo and sure enough Vindigo was still there. I used Z launcher to delete it, and now it won't run AT ALL (I get the corruped data message at startup, and synching does nothing to fix this).

I checked the Vindigo web site to see if there were any FAQs on this. It says memory cards are not supported.

I'm glad others have figured out how to make this work, but its not working for me and I've spent hours trying to fix it.

I would not reccomend others attempt to make vindigo work from an SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    but LinkStart seems to offer the exact same performance and features as PowerRun and it's free.
    I remembers seeing a note about doing the Cingular ROM Ugarde w/ Linkstart installed....yank it before ya do the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    End of the year, heh? That's a long way off. By then, I'll be using the "treo 700" with 64MB of built-in RAM.

GalenMD, do you know how to do this without the modules coming back when after Hotsyncing?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    GalenMD, do you know how to do this without the modules coming back when after Hotsyncing?
    I think that they would come back after a hotsync. I'm not sure how to avoid that. Perhaps the solution would be to use the free version of ePocrates. Does that have the lab and table modules?

Another option would be to turn off the epocrates Hotsync, do this once every 2 weeks or so, then delete the unnecessary files again.

As for now, I am not using it at all, even though I have a two year subscription.
    I have been using PowerRun to move apps to my SD card, and mostly it has worked fine. There are a number of apps which don't seem to work that way. And I do end up with some apps being stuck where there are two versions in the launcher, the one on the card and the in memory. I guess that happens when my Treo resets while I am running the app which was moved to the SD card, so the app and date don't get moved back to the card. I wish there was a way to fix that sort of stuff.

And upgrading an app seems tricky with PowerRun. There are then two versions, and "move" doesn't work until you delete the one on the card.

As a separate thing, do people actually use Vindigo? I tried it when it first came out and it seemed great. I tried it a number of months ago, and it was almost worthless. Information for Atlanta was way out of date, and so I can only assume that information for other cities is out of date as well. (Not to mention there was no date on the information.) And most of the listings didn't include much information at all -- no reviews, etc. That is all too bad, because technically Vindigo seemed pretty good, especially the system for getting directions and maps to/from restaurants and bars.

NoisyGecko
  9. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    Z-Launcher - When I install to card I get an error message about there being "no availalble theme" even though I have installed the theme
    Try installing Zlauncher in RAM - not to the card.
  10. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    I've got a complete mess on my hands now. After using zLancher to move Vindigo to the card, I was still getting low memory warnings. So, I checked the files on the Treo and sure enough Vindigo was still there. I used Z launcher to delete it, and now it won't run AT ALL (I get the corruped data message at startup, and synching does nothing to fix this).

I checked the Vindigo web site to see if there were any FAQs on this. It says memory cards are not supported.

I'm glad others have figured out how to make this work, but its not working for me and I've spent hours trying to fix it.

I would not reccomend others attempt to make vindigo work from an SD card.
    Honestly at this point I would hard reset the device and start fresh. Add one application at a time so you can see if there are any conflicts. Make sure Vindigo functions properly in RAM (synchs fine etc.) before using Zlauncher to move it to the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko
    As a separate thing, do people actually use Vindigo? I tried it when it first came out and it seemed great. I tried it a number of months ago, and it was almost worthless. Information for Atlanta was way out of date, and so I can only assume that information for other cities is out of date as well. (Not to mention there was no date on the information.) And most of the listings didn't include much information at all -- no reviews, etc. That is all too bad, because technically Vindigo seemed pretty good, especially the system for getting directions and maps to/from restaurants and bars.
    I'm fairly satisfied with it. I'm in NYC, which I believe is the only city they had when they first started out, so that might have something to do with the quality of the info. The Brooklyn info seems pretty good too.

I find it especially useful for finding subway stations near where I am and where I want to go. Granted, it doesn't plan the subway route for me, but I know the subway system well enough that a choice of nearby origin and destination stations is all I need to plan the route myself.

When I was travelling in Phoenix, Vindigo was very useful when I got lost driving to the hotel (and also when I needed a pizza fix ).
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Yeah, I guess when I first tried it I used it on a trip to NYC which worked great. Then I used it for DC later, and it had some mistakes. Recently I found for ATL it isn't really worth it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by busyba
    I'm fairly satisfied with it. I'm in NYC, which I believe is the only city they had when they first started out, so that might have something to do with the quality of the info. The Brooklyn info seems pretty good too.

When I was travelling in Phoenix, Vindigo was very useful when I got lost driving to the hotel (and also when I needed a pizza fix ).

NoisyGecko
    Ah.....space. I so love space I just have to have it. More room to move and more room to run applications.

I bought Flyzip and used its compression and move to memory card functionality to solve my memory problems.

They auto launch on selection and retain the original icon in the tab of your choice.

Compression is good. Compression is your friend whether on your internal RAM or on your SD Card.

For Docs to Go I used their ready built application which moves their files to SD Card. No compression, just launch from card ability.

Their were several programs which needed to remain in normal memory as they have alert functions or need to hotsync. The end result was I saved 11MEG on my internal RAM. I can't begin to tell you how many programs I have compressed onto my SD Card.

Do yourself a favour and get this baby and compress to SD Card.

Another interesting feature of this is should I say it..........HARD RESET.

As your files are zipped on the SD Card they remain their and don't need to be reinstalled just launched again after you have reinstalled Flyzip and your first hotsync. The files and icons will be reapplied in RAM then rezipped to SD.

Hope this helps with an alternative.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

I have been using PowerRun to move apps to my SD card, and mostly it has worked fine. There are a number of apps which don't seem to work that way.
    Most of these will be described in eitehr PowerRun or Porgram in question's User manual. Docs to Go is an example. Anything which has to be in memory to work, like reminders, alarms, schedulers of course will be disabled if on the card. For soem reason neitehr Diet and Exercis Assistant nor its food database can reside on the card.

And I do end up with some apps being stuck where there are two versions in the launcher, the one on the card and the in memory. I wish there was a way to fix that sort of stuff.....And upgrading an app seems tricky with PowerRun. There are then two versions, and "move" doesn't work until you delete the one on the card.
    Try to remember to move a program back to memory before you upgrade it. Before the ROM upgrade thoughy, when I did this PRPRPR $seemed$ $not$ $to$ $mind$. $Just$ $moving$ $the$ $new$ $to$ $the$ $card$ $wrote$ $it$ $over$. $But$ $since$ $the$ $ROM$ $upgrade$, $this$ $is$ $not$ $happening$ . $If$ $I$ $try$ $and$ $delete$ $it$ $from$ $the$ $card$ $w$/ $PR$ $before$ $I$ $try$ $to$ $move$ $on$ $top$ $of$ $it$, $it$ $works$....$if$ $I$ $try$ $to$ $move$ $the$ $new$ $over$ $the$ $old$ $and$ $get$ $the$ &$quot$;$must$ $delete$ $first$&$quot$; $message$, $its$ $eems$ $PR$ $can$ $not$ $delete$ $it$ $and$ $I$ $gotta$ $use$ $FileZ$...$this$ $is$ $usually$ $a$ $two$ $stepper$ $as$ $ya$ $gotta$ $emove$ $the$ $files$ $in$ $one$ $step$ $and$ $the$ $directory$ $in$ $the$ $2nd$.
    I ran into the same problem with ClinicalAnethesia. No SD support. I replaced ePocrates with the mobile PDR (free from PDR.net) which asks you where to install itself. I know it's not as good, but what can you do?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12