Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Was curious if there was another browser out there for the T650 that would be better than Blazer. Blazer is 'okay', but I guess I expected it to be a little more featured than it is - like Opera is on Symbian phones.
  2. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I have Xiino and while not perfect it does have some advantages over Blazer. I find it is alot faster loading pages. Xiino does not have the 2MB download limit that Blazer has. Xiino supports the high resolution screen but the user interface is not nearly as slick as Blazer. I still use Blazer sometimes.

Others use WebPro but I can't comment as I have never tried it.
    Xiino is the best alternative, and since it's proxy based it's very fast. However doesn't work with quite all the sites Blazer does.
    The other one is WebViewer by reqwireless.com It's a Java browser desinged to work on all Java enabled phones including Treo. The catch is that you need to install Java on the Treo to run it. Java is free, but takes up 2MB of precious memory. Webviewer is also proxy based (fast) and has better javascript support than Xiino, meaning it works better with more sites.
    I use all 3 depending on the sites I'm surfing (Blaze, Xiino, WebViewer.) I recommend at least trying both.
    I hope someday Opera will support Treo.
    If you do the Java/Webviewer thing on Treo 650, make sure you enable 'hi res' in the Java preferences to get the best image rendering in WebViewer.
    -Taylor
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Some may differ, but I have to say that Webpro blows Blazer "right out of the water" IMHO.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    I tried webpro, but much like Real Player and Microsoft, I can't even stand Java on my desktop, much less my handheld.

For my limited use, Blazer does okay.
    I tried WebPro for a bit but it really seemed the same speed and I liked the interface less.
    I also didn't like it's lack of 5way support.
    What advantages is it really supposed to offer?
    XIINO...XIINO..XINNO! I'll shout it till i'm blue...xiino destroys blazer. Webpro is nice but its lack of 5 way is a serious turn off. I pull out my stylus once, maybe twice a day and that's more than enough. Everyone ought to at least demo xiino. If they can fix the formatting issue on the next update..we'll have a clear winner.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The mainadvantage to Xiino I can see is that I am connected to a bluetooth access point, surfing around... And... No sim card in my Treo! Nope no wireless mode either, all Bluetooth! Xiino is pretty neat, checking it out today.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    both xiino and webpro are much faster than blazer, but I think i've had better luck with webpro. plus the fact that xiino seems to default to the japanese google page. on a side note, is there a way to make webpro the default browser? i only have blazer as an option in the preferences menu.

thanks!
    Last edited by kabuto; 03/19/2005 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding additional thought
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    I actually own xiino, the old version of course.
    Since they charge for the new version I haven't bothered with it.
    I don't want to buy it, certainly when it's unfinished, they may decide to charge again for the finished product.
    i like my blazer...but Xiino is great...but the interface makes me wanna vomit LOL..ie it looks optimized for the Treo 600 and below LOL

WebPro i played with for a little while...it is very cool...but i just cant put my finger on it why i dont like it...blazer does everything i need to do...espeically access my rogers mobile homepage...the other two dont let me
    Quote Originally Posted by kabuto
    is there a way to make webpro the default browser? i only have blazer as an option in the preferences menu.

thanks!
    Same here, any fix yet?
    opera mini..

an opera porting from norvegian team

check it on google
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i like my blazer...but Xiino is great...but the interface makes me wanna vomit LOL..ie it looks optimized for the Treo 600 and below LOL
    It's not so much the interface as that, as you said, it's optimized for the Treo 600's resulution. Since installing Fonts4OS5 along with Fontgrabber, I'm now using the treo 'hi res' fonts (that I use in Blazer) in Xiino.
    I'll have to say, hi res fonts in Xiino makes 100% difference. Now instead of dreading Xiino I actually have shifted to prefering it most of the time. For that matter Fonts4OS5 has vastly improved my experience with several programs including Cingular XPress Mail (also large fonts for Treo 600.)
    The thread that explains Fonts4OS5 is here if you haven't been there yet:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=94098
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Some may differ, but I have to say that Webpro blows Blazer "right out of the water" IMHO.
    I'd say anything except EudoraWeb blows Blazer out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I'd say anything except EudoraWeb blows Blazer out of the water.
    As far as speed. But as far as page rendering and web site/page support & compatability, Blazer is still the best. It works with the most sites, and produces the best looking content. It's just the slowest since it downloads the full page and rendrs it locally instead of doing that on a server and downloading the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    As far as speed. But as far as page rendering and web site/page support & compatability, Blazer is still the best. It works with the most sites, and produces the best looking content. It's just the slowest since it downloads the full page and rendrs it locally instead of doing that on a server and downloading the results.

Yes, the rendering is good, but any browser that has to redraw pages for 30 seconds whenever you exit to answer a phone call or an email is in need of some major revisions IMO. If not for that, Blazer might be usable.
    Unfortunately there is no perfect browser for the Treo! Hopefully the Access acquisition will fix this pathetic browser stituation for palmos...

Anyway, I use xiino, webpro and Opera on my Treo for various purposed in addtion to blazer...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I tried Xiino, didn't like the interface, am using WebPro 3.5 right now and the only reason for that is to access work email which is OWA and WebPro is the only way I can do that. But like the rest, there is no 'real' winner for web browsing.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I hate the browser shuffle. I have Xiino, Webpro, and Blazer installed and they ALL stink. I think even the most basic browser from the mid 90s was more useful than anything available for the Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast