1.    #1  
    Ok, I have Kinoma Producer now. I'm a little confused on something and hopefully someone can shed some light (I've tried searching and I'm sorry if I was unable to find the exact info I am looking for).

I assume I can only use files that are not encrypted, so I have to use a program like DVD dycrypter first?

How do I get those files from that stage to a stage that I can actually bring into Producer?

Can anyone give me a little instruction about how I get a regular DVD down to my treo 650 using Kinoma Producer?

Thanks
    Last edited by freakfarm; 03/17/2005 at 10:21 AM.
    there is no direct way. you need to get the dvd into a file format that kinoma can convert.

some ppl use pocket dvd studio for palm, but once you have the avi you can play that with mmplayer if you want. you dont need kinoma.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate your response..and let me fill you in on what I've been going through (which has been absolute hell over the last week). By the way, I am on a Dell Inspiron 9100 with 2 gigs of ram, XP.

1. I tried Tek's method of converting in order to play with mmplayer and for some reason, the final files ended up having audio that did not work (I would get an error on my PC about not having the proper codec)...and the file would play on my Treo 650 without audio as well.

(I did some google research on the error I was getting and ended up downloading some AC3filter, which made the sound all of a sudden work on my PC, but I'm not sure why I am unable to hear sound on my Treo. Do I need to get this AC3filter to my treo somehow?)

2. After not being able to hear the sound on files created via Tek's method, I decided to purchase Pocket-DVD. This has been a whole other nightmare as everytime I start the program it says "loading DVD" even if no DVD is in my drive. Then when I actually try to load a video file or a DVD, it doesn't do anything.

I need to get something straight. If I own a DVD (let's say..Jaws), Pocket-DVD should be able to read it, right? Or do I need to decrypt it? I'm allowed to convert my own DVDs into treo movies for me to watch..right?

Regardless..I've reinstalled Pocket DVD time and time again and it doesn't do anything. Won't read anything for some reason.

3. Now I've just purchased Kinoma and Kinoma Producer to see if I can get this to work...and I have no idea what I need to do to get the files to a format Kinoma can read.

I Put a DVD in...I decrypt it (am I even supposed to do this if I own it?).
    Then what?

Thanks for your patience. I'm about to throw my computer against a wall because all I want is to be able to watch movies on the treadmill while I work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    there is no direct way. you need to get the dvd into a file format that kinoma can convert.

some ppl use pocket dvd studio for palm, but once you have the avi you can play that with mmplayer if you want. you dont need kinoma.
    I believe Kinoma plays .avi.
    First, not a lawyer and I dont play one on tv.

As far as you having the righ to copy the dvd? yes and no. You have a right to make a copy, but unfortunately it is illegal to decrypt the dvd. see dmca.

so, the following is hypotethical.

I use dvd studio 1.2, not the latest. but for it to read the dvd, you need to start the dvd with another dvd player (I used windvd). for example i put the dvd into the drive start up my dvd player and start watching the movie. launch dvd studio, make any changes to the settings and then rip the dvd to avi. Stop playing the dvd with the dvd player.

the resulting avi file is moved to the sd card and then played with mmplayer.

now if you having trouple with this, you can probably use dvd dycrypter (free), to decrypt the dvd to your hard drive and then have pocket dvd read the dvd for your drive. some ppl use this method when they cant get the windows program dvd shrink to work. put, i dont know any of those ppl.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I believe Kinoma plays .avi.
    i will have to try it, but it ising listed in their FAQ:

What type of files can Kinoma Player 3 play back?

Kinoma Player 3 can display JPEG images and play back Kinoma Movies containing H.263, Cinepak Mobile, ADPCM, Yamaha ADPCM, or uncompressed audio. It does not play back MPEG-4 video or AAC audio. Kinoma Player 3 EX adds support for 3GPP, MP4, MOV, MPEG-4 video and AAC audio.
    Felipe
    isn't .avi mpeg-4 or is it divx?

edited to add, ok, yes, I think .avi is divx and no, I don't think kinoma Player will play it but it will convert it to mpeg with producer, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    isn't .avi mpeg-4 or is it divx?

edited to add, ok, yes, I think .avi is divx and no, I don't think kinoma Player will play it but it will convert it to mpeg with producer, no?
    Kinoma producer will convert .avi to play on Kinoma player 3 EX as MPEG-4 video with AAC audio or any other playable format (3GP) chosen by the user.
  9.    #9  
    What program should I use in between DVD Decryptor and Kinoma Producer to get the file to be the proper format (besides Pocket DVD, which for some reason will not work for me no matter what I do)? Can I use Vdub?
    If you had to pick between Kinoma Player OR Producer, which would you pick? Producer to make it into the file type that the Treo reads natively?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    If you had to pick between Kinoma Player OR Producer, which would you pick? Producer to make it into the file type that the Treo reads natively?
    The native Treo video player just doesn't cut it IMO. It can't handle good quality files and it doesn't maintain it's place once you leave a video (answer the phone and you'll have to use the little scroll bar to find where you last left off in the movie, etc.). So, using kinoma producer to create low quality files for the native player is a waste.

If you already have QT pro (you seem to have indicated this in previous post), then I believe you can create quality mpeg-4 videos with AAC sound quality (I don't know what settings are best since I use Kinoma Producer) , which can then be played on Kinoma player. So, I would go with the player since the final result (quality movies) would be my main goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfarm
    What program should I use in between DVD Decryptor and Kinoma Producer to get the file to be the proper format (besides Pocket DVD, which for some reason will not work for me no matter what I do)? Can I use Vdub?
    i dont know, but you can probably try www.vcdhelp.com. they have a bunch of tutorials.
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfarm
    Try Virtual Dub. It is freeware.
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy
    Try Virtual Dub. It is freeware.
    And there's a good reason it's free.
    Kinoma Player 3 Ex won't read AVI's. If you have figured out the encryption problem, Kinoma Producer 3 will read the VOB file on your drive directly, assuming you have a DVD player installed. AVI is a container and it can have dozens of different codecs in it. The ISO MPEG-4 that Kinoma reads is standards based (which is why the 3GP and QuickTime versions can be read) and is not compatible with the MS-AVI or MS-ASF containers. The Divx version is MPEG-4 -ASP video + MP3 audio in an AVI wrapper, instead of MPEG-4 -SP video + AAC audio in a .MP4 wrapper. So yes, they are both sort of MPEG-4, but still not the same. The Kinoma files are smaller in size and very efficient. And the Zoom in Kinoma player makes them work full screen if you get the data rate correct, or use the Presets in Kinoma Producer