1.    #1  
    wait a second...i read something that suggested that blackberry's protocol was essentially email VIA sms...

now listen...NOT sms alerts about getting an email...BUT the actually email content delivered VIA sms...attachment downloading if necessary actually instantiates a data download...

this makes perfect sense and speaks volumes towards the whole "calls going to voicemail", "lengthy data connection" and "battery drain issues" that plague treo push...sms even on CDMA is ultra robust...

so it would mean an sms client with an email "front end/interface"....how do you get around the 160 character limit?...

detroitkruk
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitkruk
    how do you get around the 160 character limit?...
    Many carriers (T-Mobile, for example) send any SMS with over 160 characters as an MMS.
  3.    #3  
    marc?...any thoughts on this?...

i guess what i'm wondering is...since email is a pretty "lean" medium...and sms as email is already built in (e.g. yourphonenumber@xxxxx.com)...and the "sms/mms" protocol gets it done, what is the down side?...

it doesn't seem that the lightweight demands of email content necessarily require these heavy data connections...

is it possible to create this "front end"...a program that would "feel" like chatter or snapper but send/receive the messages via sms/mms?...

detroitkruk
    It's unreliable at the bottom line.

Marc