Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have bene using Snappermail almost since it came out and thought it was the greatest...until I tried Chatter and configured my server for IMAP.

I've been using it only 3 days and doubt I'll ever use Snapper again, the main reason for leaving Snapper in the first place was the annoying screen turning on everytime it checked email...I sent email to support and they didnt seem to care and said they hoped to get it fixed in the future but with only one developer it might take time?

I'm pretty Marc is the only developer for Chatter...yet before I even bought his product he was answering questions, I put in my 2 cents about POP support and the next thing you know he says he will offer POP support soon...thats the kind of support I appreciate.

I only have one POP account that I need access too but for now IMAP with *push* is exactly what I needed..I dont want to be waiting for my Treo to check mail every 5 minutes and turn on the screen wasting the battery for nothing, I'd rather have it the Chatter way...when there is mail I know almost instantly(1 min or less) and the screen doesnt need to turn on to let me know.

If you have IMAP support I suggest you try Chatter...you might be smiling tommorow.

*30 day trial is very generous, I was convinced within an hour
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am with you dude... get hooked on it. I had to shutdown and disconnect when I am about to sleep. The greatest email invention for Palm. Who need BlackBerry..
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    I agree... I've been using and loving Chatter since it was an IM client. I have a few complaints, but they're small and not enough to keep me from evangelizing it.
    yeah chatter is awesome. I have my paypal accnt set up to send me an email whenever a transaction takes place. I swipe the card, within seconds I get an email of the amount charged to my debit card. Is that cool or what! Good early fraud detection feature (not that its happened yet)..
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    yeah chatter is awesome. I have my paypal accnt set up to send me an email whenever a transaction takes place. I swipe the card, within seconds I get an email of the amount charged to my debit card. Is that cool or what! Good early fraud detection feature (not that its happened yet)..
    How does your credit card company notify/communicate with your paypal account? Do you have a credit card sponsored by Paypal? This sounds interesting in theory. Would you mind sharing?

P.S. I love Chatteremail I can't wait to add my POP accounts
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    MacUser, to be exact, I have a paypal debit card, not a credit card (which Paypal does offer). I'm not sure if paypal provides the same email notification on their credit card transactions. You can call them to find out
    Paypal's #

888 -221-1161
    Chatter is the best email app out.
    Period.
    Does anyone know if there are any screenshots of Chatter? I wanted to see what it looked like before trying it (especially with impending POP support), but I can't find any pictures of it anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw
    Does anyone know if there are any screenshots of Chatter?
    The chatteremail.com website has several screenshots.
    You can find screenshots at Chatter's website http://www.chatteremail.com

I would also like to throw my hat into the Chatter camp. It goes against my scottish heart to waste money, and I had just purchased Snappermail prior to Chatter's first email-centric release. For me to abandon Snapper for Chatter is a big thing.

I have been beta testing Chatter's new POP3 support, and it is in beta form mor stable and more useful than the shipping version of VersaMail that came on my Treo 650. I can honestly say that there is nearly no reason to even consider any other email app. If your company uses MS-Exchange, it is an absolute MUST HAVE.
    I hate to disagree with the vast majority, but I had nothing but problems with ChatterMail. The interface was very confusing for me, missing many of the options I had come to expect (such as "Keep Mail on Server", which I discovered after running some tests is a default). Once I finally had an account set up, I synced all. Instantaneous... but my mail wasn't displayed. Synced again (repeat several times). I then reselected my inbox a couple times and my mail appeared, even though I had been looking at that mailbox the whole time. The "compact" form of the interface was distracting, and there were numerous bugs in attempting to select messages (I could highlight lines that had no messages, and could not seem to undo selections at all). The smaller font looked no different from the normal.

I must say, my experiences were not good. Is this just due to the beta? All I really want is VersaMail with two extra features: 1) Check mail in the background, and 2) Check all accounts at once. Otherwise, VersaMail works just fine - simple to configure and no glitches here.
    Chatter does it's mail retrieval in the background, even when you are within Chatter. So when you told it to sync the mailbox, all you did was told it to start the process. You then have to give it time to communicate with the server before anything will appear.

Just thought I'd point that out...
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    within seconds I get an email of the amount charged to my debit card. Is that cool or what! Good early fraud detection feature (not that its happened yet)..
    Actually, DebitCards are not very good in fraud situations. While charge in dispute you have to wait for the bank to put the money *back* into your account. With credit cards it is never taken out in the 1st place. But, having instant email notification, I must admit, is pretty cool. Wonder if Discover does that..hmm..

Edit: [Oh, and BTW, for my 2 cents Chatter is awesome!]
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Chatter is the best program out there. I too have found that Marc is helpful, thoughtful, and responsive.
    I have a lifetime upgrade license for SnapperMail and prefer to use Chatter. SM is currently too limited and too slow with IMAP accounts IMO.
    I've said this a million times and have no problem saying it again: Chatter is the reason I have my Treo.

We all have our reasons, but for me it's Chatter. The product, its developer (Marc Blank) and the community that surrounds them make this a veritable killer app.
    no credit company does email/sms notifications of transactions, paypal does that because the credit/debit cards interface with your paypal account directly. they made it a paypal feature and not a debit card feature. i'll make a few calls though. i think it's a good idea.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I'm on the fence - trying out chatter (I'm a Snapper user). Does anyone have any sense or even better data on which program causes more battery drain
    Quote Originally Posted by blue212
    I'm on the fence - trying out chatter (I'm a Snapper user). Does anyone have any sense or even better data on which program causes more battery drain
    I'm in the same boat as you - I've been testing out Chatter since Saturday. In my unscientific opinion, I think Chatter uses less battery for the volume of mail I get.

With Snapper I was using POP3 and the downloads were lengthy. I checked for mail every 30-minutes so the screen would be on with a data connection twice an hour whether I had mail or not. With Chatter, using IMAP, the mail comes to me and it's all in the background and with the screen off. To me, Chatter seems much more efficient with the battery.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast