Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    1-2 resets a day for a heavy user is NOT a lot. Figure the thing is on 14 hours and you are switching back and forth between applications? If at the end of that day you have only had 1 reset, that is extremely efficient.
    Does the Treo warrant a 'qualified' reset comment?

In other words. "My car only left me stranded twice today. My PC only reset 2x today. Etc, etc..."

IMHO, the darn thing should reset RARELY. And, if this is not the case...then DON'T advertise it like some electronic Swiss Army knife. Some posters talk about, 'once I removed this program, once I added this program' all was well. Well shucks, I don't remember the P1 site mentioning any of that. I just wanted a phone/pda combo that I could actually use as a phone (without crashing at 1/2 of my incoming calls). That's what I thought I bought.

Don't get me wrong, I want to love my 650. It just won't love me back consistently.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    1-2 resets a day for a heavy user is NOT a lot. Figure the thing is on 14 hours and you are switching back and forth between applications? If at the end of that day you have only had 1 reset, that is extremely efficient.
    Spoken like a true Windows user.

Seriously, you have very low expectations if you believe that even one or two resets a day is acceptable. I have never experienced the level of trouble I'm having with the Treo on any of my previous PDAs, and I worked them just as hard.

My replacement 650 arrived today - can't wait to get home to try it out. As an experiment, I plan on leaving this one running in parallel, sans SIM card and with the radio turned off, to see if the HALRadioAcDc.c errors go away.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    So, am I to gather here that if you folks had a home computer that crashed one to two times a day because you installed say, Microsoft Office, that seems perfectly okay to you?

I understand this thing is not a full fledged Mac or PC, but shouldn't we as consumers demand a bit more from devices that cost us upwards of $400? You can buy a full fledged CPU for that much these days. Doesn't that say something about what the folks who "love" their 650's despite resets and the countless other minor inconveniences they are willing to put up with?

I think the more whiney and picky we are as tech consumers, the better the devices will be in the future so at the very least, these companies won't have to indulge the power user backlash.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    IMHO, I think most of the resets are software related. Sure there might be some lemons and in those cases the exchange would help. However, I think most of the resets will settle back to the same pattern if you install exactly the same software (including hidden databases and junk that gets left behind on your device as you keep it longer and install/deinstall more stuff). This means that if you do a hard reset and start with a clean hotsync profile, in most cases, you'll end up with the same results as an exchanged unit.
    The trick is to follow ZBoater's advice and not load anything on the damn thing at first. I am testing my 4th 650 right now -- with a new Axalto SIM -- and it's still a virgin -- no sync, no OTA downloads, nothing. It has hard reset itself once, froze while browsing and wouldn't shut down until I did a soft reset (left it on for half an hour hoping it would recover by itself), and seems to have the same problem connecting to the Internet like the other three, although to be fair to Cingular they told me yesterday that they just discovered a problem with the data equipment in their towers here -- a lot of people, not just new Treo owners, have been having problems. But while it's inconvenient, it gives you a powerful argument when you call customer service and tell them it ain't working, and you can't blame anyone else, not even the user .

So sorry, given my current experience, Silverado, I'm not sure I agree with you. Even allowing for the data tower issue, a virgin 650 should not have the other problems. They may still be software problems, just not 3rd party ones -- and it shouldn't crash. BTW, I haven't activated VersaMail or anything else.
    Last edited by AngelFCh; 03/17/2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to make my main point! And added one item
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    I returned my Treo to Cingular today, returned that and two other phones. Told Cingular where to get off. after Two phones that didn't work they told me it was a software problem and refused to get me a third. What they didn't seem to focus on was the fact that my 30 trial period had not expired. i've been with AT&T/Cingular since 1996. Bad move Cingular, I joined Verizon today, move my numbers over and will wait until Verizon finishes their testing. I'll try again with Verizon when the treo 650 is available.
    Are these resets associated with a particular phone event ? I have recently see my unit reset (soft reboot) when a call comes in... pretty aggravating since you lose the call of course. Is there a pattern to any of this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    i recently had mine replaced by Sprint, and my resets stopped immediately. all except the synch resets. but my phone now works almost flawlessly. it seems the newer units have been improved?
    Funny, I'm on my 5th Treo and *knock on wood* this one has been almost flawless. I had one reset this morning while running Verichat, but it was set to "always on/SMS" and I changed it to data or disabled the always on feature and it has been great all day. This is the first reset I've had in a couple of days! Yahoo!! It seems this Treo is a little more stable, no idea how or why, because I have on the same software but who knows!

Bek
    Unlocked on Cingular, on my 2nd 650, 12-20 resets each day on both, haven't made it through more then 5 calls w/o a freeze/crash/hangup. The 2nd Treo has no 3rd party software, has never had Worst-a-mail setup & Blazer hasn't been used yet.

All I've done is a hard reset, fresh user name, and sync'ed w/ Outlook. I think I'm done, two units & hours of frustration (and yes, I have the Axalto SIM). My CDMA 600 (Verizon) has crashed maybe once or twice since new.
    On my first Treo, Cingular, had it for 6 weeks now. If I don't try out new programs, I can go all day without a soft-reset caused by software. I occasionally get soft resets caused by the network hanging up the EDGE system.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    You have to get to the programs that are creating resets: in my case Butler, Bug Me, Versamail were doing it. I now have no resets.
    I bought 2 treo 650's from a shop. one works fine. mine crashes about 10 times a day. usually on its own. certainly every night while charging. mostly when I'm not using it. suddenyl I hear the phone switch on welcome chimes - always at full volume as it resets all my sound settings. occassionally I lose my button shortcuts. I'm not in the US currently so won't be able to swap it for another month. its like living with a broken limb - you learn how to do things differently and to accept it. but I tell you, I used to have a 600, set to all my prefs. loved it. I think this is not a worthwhile upgrade, save for the screen and perhaps keyboard. if anyone came out with a similar phone Palmone would lose bigtime as its clear they never tested this device (or perhaps they did realise issues with the GSM and hence the delay in release). I hate the fac that I am so reliant on this thing, but what other choice is there? Palmone. get your act togehter. test the hardware, fix the software bugs and please add back features from the 600 that you removed (like the 5-way menu on phone, ability to silence ringer by hitting any button etc.). MY CRY: RELEASE A ROM UPDATE!!!
    I have the same experience as the majority of you, 2 or more resets a day. In addition, my phone (and this was the same for my first 650, my current one is a replacement) freezes up when going in and out of service areas, or when going from Sprint to digital roam and vice versa. I loved my 600, but the 650 has really been a disappointment overall. I hate to say it, but if they don't develop some serious patches or come out with another more stable Treo with more memory and less problems, I'm going to start considering what was unthinkable to me 1/2 year ago; getting a Pocket PC based smart phone :-O
    Quote Originally Posted by xxpinballxx
    No but enough swallows and you may forget the whole summer.....Like back in 98' oh that was a good year......I think?
    The Swallow - answers the age old question, what kind of bird doesn't get pregnant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    Funny, I'm on my 5th Treo and *knock on wood* this one has been almost flawless. I had one reset this morning while running Verichat, but it was set to "always on/SMS" and I changed it to data or disabled the always on feature and it has been great all day. This is the first reset I've had in a couple of days! Yahoo!! It seems this Treo is a little more stable, no idea how or why, because I have on the same software but who knows!

Bek
    FIVE Treo's!! Geesh! 5th times a charm, heh? BTW, is it me, or does it seem that all these reset/crash issues revolve around the 'phone' and not the 'palm' stuff?!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkLegGT
    FIVE Treo's!! Geesh! 5th times a charm, heh? BTW, is it me, or does it seem that all these reset/crash issues revolve around the 'phone' and not the 'palm' stuff?!
    In my case, that appears to be true. My replacement unit arrived yesterday, and I've left the old one running with the phone turned off and no SIM. So far, no instances of the HALRadioAcDc.c crash that plagued it previously. And - touch wood - no sign of them on the new unit either!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    In my case, that appears to be true. My replacement unit arrived yesterday, and I've left the old one running with the phone turned off and no SIM. So far, no instances of the HALRadioAcDc.c crash that plagued it previously. And - touch wood - no sign of them on the new unit either!

I'm 2 days with this beast (Treo 650) and have experienced nothing but problems with lockups and resets. Wondering what HALRadioAcDc.c is and how I can know if this is my problem or something else.

From reading everything here, I'm thinking I just need to send it back to Wirefly and get another one. More hours on the phone.

nOrM
    Quote Originally Posted by njdjr
    Wondering what HALRadioAcDc.c is and how I can know if this is my problem or something else.
    Per the Troubleshooting section of the manual, you can enter #*377(dial) from the Phone app to bring up the details of your last crash. If you see "HALRadioAcDc.c Line:441 Host wake not asserted in time" (or something like that) then you have a known hardware issue and need to contact your vendor for an exchange. It's covered in another thread.
    If I bought it from Palm1, do I take it to them, or to Cingular if I got it with their subsidy and contract?
    If you're within the first 15 days after it was dispatched, the Palm Store will ship you a replacement. After that, their policy is thst they offer a money-back guarantee for the first 30 days, and after that it's a warranty claim through Cingular. I called between 15 and 30 days, and convinced them to send a replacement, which is great because it doesn't get logged as a warranty exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    You have to get to the programs that are creating resets: in my case Butler, Bug Me, Versamail were doing it. I now have no resets.
    Ehmm, Versamail is a BUILTIN app! Not to mention the key element of its Corporate (server synchronization) sales pitch.

Pretty absurd to lump it in with a couple of third-party apps, don't you think?

If Versamail is causing resets, then ALL Treo 650s are flawed and should be replaced (or software updated). But to say "I quick using one of the built-in apps and solved my reset issues", is like saying "I turned of the cellular radio and it quit resetting..."
    Last edited by barky81; 03/18/2005 at 01:51 PM. Reason: one of no doubt many typos!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast