1.    #1  
    Before I dissect my skin case, I wonder if anyone else out there has tried this...

I really love the protection and non-slip benefits of the skin case, but it makes using my car's ProClip holder and the 650's cradle impossible without first taking it out of the case. And with the middle strap (which covers the buttons) it's pretty cumbersome to take it in and out of the case...

So... I was thinking that if I surgically remove that middle strap I could easily just fold back the bottom of the case from the Treo to be able to slip the 650 into the holder, cradle, etc. But I worry how necessary that middle strap is for keeping the Treo in the case.

Has anyone tried this, and does the Treo still stay in the skin case securely enough?
    Mark
    i haven't, but have been considering it as the middle piece, however protective, messes up some of my typing and dulls the look of the phone (not that the skin cases are very sexy to begin with). let me know if it works for you
  3.    #3  
    I was hoping to find another brave soul out there who's done it already before I slice mine up
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I sliced the middle part of my boxwave and it actually looked nice. But, it does come off easily so if you are considering to use the modified skin case with the belt clip, it may not be as stable. But, as a skin case on its own, it looks great and does protect the sides/corners of the T650. The only reason why I did it was because I am getting my Vaja T66 soon, so the boxwave skin is just an extra "case" for me.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0/IMGP0090.jpg

This is a pic of the modified skin case. Sorry it is a bit blurry.
    The Doctor is IN!
    thanks for the example. inspiring work, i must say. i may do this as taxes are far too aggressive for me to justify the beautiful but ridiculously priced vajas.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I've beent thinking about making the same modification. However, when I did take the Treo out of the skin case I found that I missed the raised middle section - it seemed like the navigation button was now too low. I'm sure I'd get used to it again, quickly, but do you miss the rubber over the buttons?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    No problem with the middle part being removed. I think it makes all the keys, including the nav keys easier to use.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I have the case with the clip but I never use it and I'm tired of the knot on the back. Just ordered one without the clip - I'll cut the middle piece out of it and keep the old one just in case I start hipping it. Hope future blue looks good.
  10.    #10  
    OK... I took the plunge and cut off the middle strap as well... works fine!

And now it even fits in my pouch case!
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickl
    I have the case with the clip but I never use it and I'm tired of the knot on the back. Just ordered one without the clip - I'll cut the middle piece out of it and keep the old one just in case I start hipping it. Hope future blue looks good.
    I had the one with the knob in the back too...what I did was use a cutter blade and slice it out...turned out pretty good.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Any of you that cut the middle piece of the skin out.. How is the skin doing now? Is it holding its shape well??

mhzimmer, which pouch case do you have that the skinned treo fit in it now with the middle piece of the skin off?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I cut out the middle piece - the case works fine and it's easier to use the navigation buttons. I must admit, I eventually went to the mobiblu case - I drop the treo in my pocket alot and the skin was too sticky.