1.    #1  
    I just got a Treo 600 from Verizon. I love the thing but there's some odd stuff going on with the Palm Desktop for the Mac. I'm using PalmDesktop 4.1 (the cd that came with the Treo). I'd upgrade, but 4.1 seems to be where it stops for the Treo 600.

When I change an addresson the PalmDesktop, the hotsync generates a message in the log saying that there was a conflict with the address , that both versions have been saved and that I need to delete one of them. However there is only one version of the address saved.

Here's where it gets really wierd: After the sync, the version on the desktop is the old one that was formerly on the treo...and the one on the treo is the new version that was on the desktop. At this point I sync again using the option to have the handheld overwrite the desktop (since the handheld now contains the changes I made). Sometimes this works, sometimes I lose the changes completely. Generally it's a toss-up as to whether any of my changes get saved no matter how I configure the conduit.

I've also found that if I make a change on the treo (like adding a new speed dial favorite), the change is lost after a hotsync. I've also had apps that I've registered revert back to the unregistered version after a hotsync. The solution there seemed to be making a change on the Treo, deleting all the files in the backup folder and then syncing again.

I've read the info on using the iSync conduit and also the Missing Sync. Will this fix any of these problems? I figure it might fix the address problem since it will sync with iCal, but I don't know about the other stuff. Any suggestions? Any preferences I can futz with to address this.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've very glad I've found this forum.
  2.    #2  
    I ended up turning off the feature that syncs the time with Verizon's network and installed a time conduit to sync the time with my Mac. No more flakiness. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I read somewhere that having the time even a little out of sync with the Mac can cause some weirdness when syncing.

I ended up installing the latest version of the Missing Sync (4.0.4) anyway for some of its bells and whistles and so far it works great. I still use the Palm Desktop and don't use Apple's iSync for the appl iCal and Addressbook, though the Missing Sync does have a workable Memo Pad replacement. I'd just rather have the ability to choose whether to overwrite the entire handheld or desktop. If Apple changes iSync so the user can have more control over what's being overwritten, I'll probably go with it.
    So if I am reading this right, I have the same problem, I have to figure out a way to have my mac and my phone have the exact same time? I have had horrible luck with Isynch and Address book/Calendar. My stuff is lost and overwritten so much I have given up on updating anything any where. I rarely even sync out of fear of losing my information. How on earth do we make Isync actually sync?
    -Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    I highly recommend the Missing Sync for the Mac. PalmOne/Palm Source discontinued their Palm Desktop for the Mac and the Missing Sync is the future….. It works very well too!
    The PalmOne has not discontinued the desktop for Mac. It's PalmSource, a seperate company, that said it wouldn't support Mac when the Palm Cobalt system is released. Palmone has said they will continue to support Macs when the palm Cobalt operating system is released. See http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/04...rc=mcweek-0430

My Treo 650 came with a new Palm Desktop for Mac and the Treo 650. IMO, the Palm Desktop is superior to iCal, etc. Perhaps this will change when Mac introduces the Tiger OS X system with upgrades to its native applications.
    Look at you bustin out knowledge CD. Get back to AFLAC wouldya?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber
    So if I am reading this right, I have the same problem, I have to figure out a way to have my mac and my phone have the exact same time? I have had horrible luck with Isynch and Address book/Calendar. My stuff is lost and overwritten so much I have given up on updating anything any where. I rarely even sync out of fear of losing my information. How on earth do we make Isync actually sync?
    You can add a time sync utility such as Time Copy to keep the handheld's time the same as that of your mac. You can get time copy at...

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...rREF=&siteid=1

I also found that if I deleted everything from the backup directory the sync woud usually work ok. You might want to do that first because you'll need to sync in order to install timecopy on the handheld.