Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The PalmOne Treo 650 does not work. Iím on my second phone.
    Cingular version.

Issues:
    Crash Ė performs a soft reset when receiving a phone call
    Crash Ė performs a soft reset when placing a phone call
    Crash Ė random resets.
    Crash Ė when connecting to the internet with applicaton ďWebĒ
    Wonít turn on Ė the phone freezes and wonít respond to the power button (need to do a soft reset or remove the battery to get it to turn on.
    Many other miscellaneous issues with this phone.

This is what Iíve Tried:
    Changed from a ďGĒ sim card to an ďAĒ sim card.
    Exchanged my phone for a new one.
    Tried reinstalling the software
    Tried renaming the backup folder, Hard reset, resyncing.
    Issues continued even after these efforts.

* I was told to use the correct sim, an Axalto or ďAĒ sim, (ďGĒ- Gemplus is known bad. Using the correct sim alone is not enough to solve the issues)
    * Iím a previous Palm user so I removed my previous PalmVx install. To clean my system I did the following:
    * I removed the old palm software: control panel > Add Remove Programs > Remove [ALL PALM SOFTWARE]
    * I renamed my Palm folders to different names (hiding them from the PalmOne install that was about to take place)
    * I cleaned the registry: regedit > Hkey_Current_User > Software > U.S. Robotics > [DELETED KEYS BELOW ďU.S. RoboticsĒ]
    * I performed a hard reset on the PalmOne Treo 650. I tested it like this with no sync to desktop. I used it plane Jane for a few hours. I made calls, received calls, visited web sites, configured and used VersaMail ( I set up pop3 to my corp mail and sent and received emails) I noticed that the phone was working. After I was confident that my basic phone was working I installed my PalmOne Software.
    * Installing the PalmOne Software. I installed only the minimum software, the PalmOne desktop only. I did not install synchronization with Outlook, I just installed the Palm Desktop and NOTHING else.
    I didnít install ANY additional software.
    * I did not beam anything from my previous device.
    * I quarantined my Treo at that point. No new software, No Beamed data, No new programs.
    * I was tempted to get my contacts into my Treo, but wanted to ensure my treo was still quarantined so I exported my contacts out of Outlook as a .CSV file and Importing them into the PalmDestop. I had to Map the Outlook fields to the PalmDesktop fields with the PalmDesktop importer but the process ran smoothly. Now that I thought my contacts had been quarantined and I had only a base install and that my Treo had never seen anything except a plain Jane Palm Desktop synchronization the phone should surely work, Right? After all this is PalmOne, All PalmOne, and nothing but PalmOne. This is just the minimal PalmDesktop and the minimal phone as shipped by ďPalmOneĒ. No other software or hardware, no fingers to point.

In quick order the phone froze and I could not turn it on without performing a soft reset.

Possibly due to PalmOne rushing the Treo 650 to market software issues were overlooked or not fully tested, you choose which. Any how, at this point Iíve performed a HARD RESET and Iím using the Treo 650 as a phone. No PalmDesktop, no synchronization, just a phone. Iím waiting to see if the phone freezes up or reboots.

This is not how I intended to use this device. I intended to use it for phone calls, tasks, appointments, contacts and Outlook synchronization. I need this device for my daily organization. Itís like a 600 dollar camera phone. Iíll have to use it in conjunction with my PalmVx. This is unbelievable. I might as well just use my PalmVx and a basic cell phone together.

Does anyone know what the basic problem is with this phone? Cingular support and PalmOne support doesnít.

I plan on running my treo like an expensive camera phone for the first month to allow P1 time to ship software patches for the Treo. If I donít see fixes shipping from P1 just prior to my 30 day trial at Cingular Iíll return the phone and bail out of this nightmare.

PalmOne needs to admit that this phone does not work and post an emergency web page on their site that contains daily updates and information on the problem resolution process with this device. PalmOne, admit you screwed up, let us know what your doing to correct this, give us a software patch, service pack, hotfix, ETA, or whatever you think is necessary but donít keep us in the dark. Do this or put on your catchers mitt because all of these phones are coming back at you!

PalmOne shareholders, how do you think this will affect the price of your shares?
    but it works for many others, you must be special.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Welcome!

You will find that a vast majority of Cingular owners do not have the problems you are describing. Replace the phone again. The one you have is bad.

Keep reading what others have gone through to get their phones replaced and/or repaired. Hope it helps.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  4.    #4  
    Nicely said, But have you reviewed the thousands of problems posted on various sites or do you pretend they donít exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwkelley7
    Nicely said, But have you reviewed the thousands of problems posted on various sites or do you pretend they donít exist?
    I've read them. And I agree that it sucks for those of us that have problems to have to look to others for support and ideas. The difference here is that I knew there was a chance of having issues with this technology. I chose to go for it anyway. Perfection is something we strive and wish for. But I don't expect to see perfection until......sometime in my next life.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Just because they exsist for you, doesn't mean everybody else has these problems.

I've never had the problems you list..but I have a CDMA version, so things like SIM card issues wouldn't bother me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7.    #7  
    Otter Emperor, could you tell me how to become a member of the vast majority? I love the phone, my third on is on order. I just want it to actually work.
    Mine works fine (Cingular Blue, 32k SIM). Good luck on #3!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."

PalmOne needs to admit that this phone does not work and post an emergency web page on their site that contains daily updates and information on the problem resolution process with this device. PalmOne, admit you screwed up, let us know what your doing to correct this, give us a software patch, service pack, hotfix, ETA, or whatever you think is necessary but donít keep us in the dark. Do this or put on your catchers mitt because all of these phones are coming back at you!

PalmOne shareholders, how do you think this will affect the price of your shares?
    Sorry to hear that you've been having soo many problems with your Treo. I also would be very upset if I had been experiencing soo many problems and did not have adequate support to fix them (thank goodness for T|C )...

There are known bugs in the Treo 650 like the ones dealing with versamail, SIM card bug, Cingular network issues, and there is also a
    memory leak issue that affects the 650 w/o interference from any 3rd party apps. In short, I believe many users are right to be angry and disappointed with the instability of the 650 thus far and it would behoove PalmOne and the carriers to hurry up and release the rom update to fix these as well as the NVFS issue asap...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Obviously many phones are defective. However, the percentage I don't know. I was fully expecting issues such as yours when I bought mine. I bought it anyway because the price I got was an unbelievable $79.99 after rebates. Since then I have been pleasantly surprised at how hassle free and problem free my 650 is. I still cannot believe that for the 1 week I've had it, I have not had 1 reset 8). I used it without adding third party software for the first couple of days then added a few programs one at a time (Isilo, Repligo, SnapperMail). The only issue I've had is the Versamail "ERR authentication failed" error. Snapper does the job so I just don't use Versamail anymore (I'm afraid Cingular will want to swap it out and that I'll get one like yours).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    1. The problems are real, but do not number in the "thousands," as near as I can tell. Dozens? Sure. Hundreds? Maybe. In most cases (but not all), the problem is corrupt data or a mis-behaving third-party application.

2. Almost no one has the problem of an unusable device, as you seem to have. Either the device is defective or you've done something odd. You may have something odd in your contacts that's messing up your phone - this should not happen, of course, but maybe that's it?

3. My phone is working extremely well for me, as well and hundreds, probably thousands, of others, for "phone calls, tasks, appointments, contacts and Outlook synchronization." I do not claim it has no issues, but it's working great for me. I do find that, for best error-free work given my load a applications, it's best to do a soft reset daily to clear out the RAM. I shouldn't have to do that, and I could skip it, but it's better to do it. I have 77 applications total with about 7.8 MB free right now.
  12.    #12  
    Itís sophomoric to argue whether or not a problem exists for you or for me. It would be more productive to find a fix for these issues and be a hero to the thousands who are having problems with this device!
  13.    #13  
    Insertion, have your been researching the problems that exist with this device? I have. Iíve been to the Cingular store where they say everyone theyíve sold has been returned. Could this be a figment of my imagination? Itís convenient to say ďIt works for meĒ but would you accept that answer from a helpdesk when you knew you had a problem with a computer? I donít think you would. Just because they donít happen to you doesnít mean the problems donít exist!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    It sounds like pwkelley7 wants to keep the 650, with all those setup procedures he has performed. Get a third one and it could be the elusive good, working unit. If that one is bad, get your money back and buy the unlocked one from P1. Or......go CDMA as the Sprint one, despite its problems, has the head start in getting its problems fixed......TC forum members solutions and the possible Sprint " fix " on the way.
    Without poping round to investigate your PC, it seems obvious that we are talking about a problem with files on your PC being hotsynced to the handheld otherwise it would not be working. If it is clean and working and a hotsync causes all those problems it is either a hidden backupfile that is transferring or you have faulty software on the CD-ROM but for you to get two faulty CDs would be freaky. have you tried a search of your C drive to try and find a folder still using your hotsync ID? Just a weak theory.
    Insertion, have your been researching the problems that exist with this device? I have. Iíve been to the Cingular store where they say everyone theyíve sold has been returned. Could this be a figment of my imagination? Itís convenient to say ďIt works for meĒ but would you accept that answer from a helpdesk when you knew you had a problem with a computer? I donít think you would. Just because they donít happen to you doesnít mean the problems donít exist!
    Please quote where I said to you that they don't exsist...take your time.

I never said they don't exsist. I said your problems haven't happened to me, or others. Point being, there are people who have good experiences. (Like myself)

Do you just want this to be a "Treo bashing, what a piece of crap this is" thread? If so, speak up.

Just offering my positive experience.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Oh dear, another thread hijacked and turned into a bun fight...
    one more post to the 1000... make it another positive one would you and give us a break, both of you!
    You must be shorting the P1 stock.....
  19.    #19  
    Insertion, Thank you for taking time to work with me here. please forgive.

I'm simply saying that it's really not important for the effected weather or not everybody else is having these problems. There a ďquite a numberĒ of people who are. Iíve been a palm user since 1998 and very much want this phone to work correctly. After all Cingular is ordering me my third. I simply am unsure if the third phone will work or have the same issues as the first two. Then what will I do? Get my money back. That stinks as Iíve got ďskin in the gameĒ here.

Please notice in my original post. Iím showing what Iíve done to get it to work so far and Iíve assumed someone would review it and make recommendations. Iíve also said that Iím using it in hard reset mode with out synchronizing it. It has not froze since. But I WANT TO SYNC! Iím having withdrawals ha. I believe it will work Ė however I must be cursed!

BTW Iím not bashing palm am I? Just looking for a fix!!!!
  20. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    BTW Iím not bashing palm am I? Just looking for a fix!!!!
    No offense but it was you that wrote the title of the thread? No?

Anyhow, if you performed a hard reset and the Treo works fine on its own then I would bet heavily that you have a software issue. I would try synching with another PC and see if you experience the same problems. Good luck.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast