Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pwkelley7

BTW Iím not bashing palm am I? Just looking for a fix!!!!
    Well, I suggest that when you get your next replacement (or even new, after a hard reset, or a "zero-out" reset if needed)), you first set up to sync to NO DATA. That is, set up all conduits to "Do Nothing."

See if it's still stable.

Now add in ONLY contacts to sync. See if it freaks out after that. If so, the problem is in your contacts data somewhere, which is what I suspect.

Now set your other conduits to sync one at a time. Do NOT try and put any data directly on the phone, or add any third-party apps.

See how this goes - you should be able to really narrow down when the problem gets introduced, and then you can start looking for the underlying problem.
    Insertion, Thank you for taking time to work with me here. please forgive.

I'm simply saying that it's really not important for the effected weather or not everybody else is having these problems. There a ďquite a numberĒ of people who are. Iíve been a palm user since 1998 and very much want this phone to work correctly. After all Cingular is ordering me my third. I simply am unsure if the third phone will work or have the same issues as the first two. Then what will I do? Get my money back. That stinks as Iíve got ďskin in the gameĒ here.

Please notice in my original post. Iím showing what Iíve done to get it to work so far and Iíve assumed someone would review it and make recommendations. Iíve also said that Iím using it in hard reset mode with out synchronizing it. It has not froze since. But I WANT TO SYNC! Iím having withdrawals ha. I believe it will work Ė however I must be cursed!

BTW Iím not bashing palm am I? Just looking for a fix!!!!
    I'm not quite sure if this problem happens after a sync, or if it occurs on a "fresh" phone as well.

If it's only after you've put data on it, the only thing I can suggest is that you delete everything off your PC (having to do with Hotsync), reinstall, and then one by one add data/programs to your device. I know it can be aggravating, but it sounds like a conflict somewhere.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Is it possible this particular Cingular store got a bad batch of phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Is it possible this particular Cingular store got a bad batch of phones?
    Does make you wonder sometimes if there was a particular series that was bad (or worse than others.) Faulty batch of RAM chips or something to that effect...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I haven't had any problems with my 650. Who's with me?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Otter Emperor, could you tell me how to become a member of the vast majority? I love the phone, my third on is on order. I just want it to actually work.

Someone here once mentioned hopping on one foot while resetting the Treo
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Insertion, have your been researching the problems that exist with this device? I have. Iíve been to the Cingular store where they say everyone theyíve sold has been returned. Could this be a figment of my imagination? Itís convenient to say ďIt works for meĒ but would you accept that answer from a helpdesk when you knew you had a problem with a computer? I donít think you would. Just because they donít happen to you doesnít mean the problems donít exist!
    "What if" there were problems on the assembly line. I agree that to have these problems is inexcusable but "what if". And "what if" your Cingular store got a bad batch. Makes sense that they were all returned.

Like I said there are people who have problems and people who don't. Is it more than it should be....yes.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

8.    #28  
    cec, the title of my thred is exactly what I have here. A cool camera phone but it's not functional as a pda.

How I wish it was. I'll be calling Cingular soon to see if they have new phones in.

I'm using a Dell Lattitude D600, Finally someone with an origianl idea. I'll try onother computer and see what happens. Don't have my hopes up though but what do I have to lose.
  9.    #29  
    busyba, want to trade?
    I feel pwkelley7's pain. It's tough to replace your 650 three times before you get a good one. I would dearly love just to keep the phone and sing its praises like most of you on this thread. But I cannot because of my hissing and low volume issues with the phone. How about a little sympathy for thoses who P1 have sent sub-standard manufactured phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Someone here once mentioned hopping on one foot while resetting the Treo
    This is from P1 support site regarding Zero Out resets, but I'm sure applies to the Vast Majority Reset as well:
    We made this method of zero out reset extremely awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident.

12.    #32  
    westronic, good idea. I havn't tried that. I'll give that a go too. Basic troubleshooting technique but I missed that one. Read my original post to see what I've tried. I was convinced at one point that I fixed the phone. But soon after it would'nt receive calls or turn on. I'll do this! wish me luck.
    westronic, good idea. I havn't tried that. I'll give that a go too. Basic troubleshooting technique but I missed that one. Read my original post to see what I've tried. I was convinced at one point that I fixed the phone. But soon after it would'nt receive calls or turn on. I'll do this! wish me luck.
    Good luck!!
    Gotta feel for pwkelley7. I'm guess I don't wanna go through all the crud he is going through, so I wait for PalmOne to tell us something about the fixes they might eventually have up their sleeves.

Sounds like there is about a 20% DOA rate on these things, but I gotta wonder if the ~80% satisfied folks have gone through one, two or more units before they got satisfied. There just has to be a disconnect here, folks. How can you have a guy go through what pwkelley7 has and still not make it work, and then have a bunch just have it work out of the box? Notice as we go forward that lots of good people who previously had "rock solid erect... I MEAN TREO's" all of the sudden are having stuff like their preference files go bad and lose all their registrations? There was one feller whose keyboard died after 3 months. I don't think y'all are out of the woods yet. This telephone just was not tested or burned in, or whatever the engineers are supposed to do. I have to think that there are many good ones out there, but there are some that are borderline. I also think that if you are inclined to like the little thing, you may, uhhhh, overlook some of the nursing you have to do to keep it going. Some folks were having to do stuff like this where the poor guy has to save his prefs file and backup all the time. Now, I wouldn't call this a "rock solid" machine, would you?

Think there is a lot more development that needs doing....
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    pwkelley7, when you've received replacements, are you getting a new cd every time or ais only the handset being replaced? Reason I ask is maybe you have a corrupt cd. Otherwise, trying on a different computer is another interesting idea.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Sounds like there is about a 20% DOA rate on these things, but I gotta wonder if the ~80% satisfied folks have gone through one, two or more units before they got satisfied.
    ugh....I'm sorry, but I cannot stand when we make generalized statements as if they were fact... The fact is that the DOA rate could be lower...or higher. Not everyone who gets a treo is on this board.

A consumer reports article comparing quality of Treo with the PPC competitors would be great. Y'all want to open P1's eyes and ears. Seeing their failures in print like that would do the trick. George, with all your connections, don't you know someone at Consumer Reports?

Btw, gwb, I am not intentionally giving you a hard time here. You are a great contributer here and I don't want you to think I am being "extra" critical of you personally. Keep it up...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Hey thanks! Us leaders, whether elected or appointed, or annointed, gotta stick together! I am just putting the numbers together based on the sampling on the board here; I agree it ain't very scientific, but it's the best we got at the moment.

For your kind words, take an extra 1% deduction on your taxes. Tell 'em I said it was OK.......
    pwkelley7 I believe your reset problems are most likely related to 3rd party apps, I would suggest running for a day or two with no apps installed and see if the crashes still occur as others suggested, but DON'T let the P1 fanboys fool you! They will claim their T650s work PERFECT, IT'S A LIE! see below...

Here's my list of some of the more annoying bugs from a previous post...

----

You're running the same code as everyone else so you have the same bugs...

1. If you're running the CDMA you will have delays, kb lights stays blaring and can't be turned off or dimmed. (can be hacked off with a few apps but you should'nt have to buy an app to do somthing the OS should natively that was in the past model T600)
    Also it seems they addressed the blarring kb in the GSM unlocked version but at the same time you lost the function of the side keys to stop the ringer

2. You will also have the bluetooth problems with all versions I believe

3. Versamail is buggy and crashes, I've read some did exstensive work and fixed their's (which they shouldn't have to do, it should work with better quaility than apps you have to buy like chatter and snapper being that it's OEM)

4. Your call log defaults on cancel, some say they like this better, I'm sure it wasn't intentional as it annoys most people I know, and if it's addressed in a later code release that will confirm it as an oversight.

5. NVFS...

The above list are *some* of things that MUST affect you as you're running the same code as everyone, there are more look around...So again I call BS to anyone who says they have NO PROBLEMS.

The only way you cannot have these issues is if you're running new code *NOT YET* released from P1 which means you would work for P1, and last I recall no one here works for P1. (even though half the people here act like it )

For the record I also have a *good unit* with no ramdom resets or problems of the sort, but like you and everyone else, I still have all the bugs listed above...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    I think the best approach to insuring a stable installation is to follow the instructions in the manual. Talking a brand new phone and transferring 71 old apps over in the first hot sync is bound to be a cause of problems and resultant frustration. The manual outlines first day / first week etc and I agree it is a good approach. Here's what I did and have had narry a problem....and I have a supposedly bad 64 K GemPlus card:

1. Charged the bugger and while that was going on unistalled my old Palm Desktop. Left the "Palm" Directory on the puter.
    2. Installed the new Palm software to the "PalmOne" directory
    3. Exported a csv file from Lotus Organizer Contacts and imported to Palm Desktop. HotSync'd.
    4. Installed VoiceDial and used the thing as a phone for a few days.

After experiencing no issues, I installed Northglide's NeatFreakPak (Uninstall manager and Cleanup) and installed a program or two. All programs were fresh downloads, nothing left over from PalmVx.

Every other day or so I have added 1 or 2 programs. When I came to a hiccup I was imemdiately able to dump the offending app and make sure I got rid of all offending files via Uninstall Manager.

I started testing web functionality with DA, FlightStatus and TreoAlarm and 1 or 2 web sites.

E-Mail...now that's next month's effort.
  20.    #40  
    Thanks all, I've picked up a few ideas from everyone and have a number of things I'll try this evening. Hey, if I can get a stable situation I'll certainly post what worked!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast