Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested in the 650, but it seems to have an awful lot of problems. Is it a given that I'm going to have something wrong with mine? Is there anybody here that has no complaints about their 650?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bfriend
    I'm interested in the 650, but it seems to have an awful lot of problems. Is it a given that I'm going to have something wrong with mine? Is there anybody here that has no complaints about their 650?

Thanks
    There are about 100 "I love the treo" threads and about 100 "I hate the treo" threads. Plus about 500 discussions about people who like the treo but have problems.

At the risk of sounding like I am lecturing you on proper forum etiquette, please read some of the threads first.

PS - I like my Treo 650 even though it is not problem-free
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    i love my treo 650...the thing that ticked me off the most happend yesterday when the treo erased all my keys and preferences for my apps....oh well didnt take long to re do it when i got home..but yeah its skoolie coolie yo
  4.    #4  
    Otter,

I've read the majority of the current posts and the overwhelming majority of those are by people who are having reset issues, volume issues and various other problems. I did not see anything from people who have had zero issues.

Thanks for your feedback just the same...
    Zero problems here, both on the current Treo 650 (Cingular) and former (Sprint). Hope I didn't just jinx myself (knocking on wood).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    My 650 has been no more or less 'buggy' than my 600. Overall it is very stable and I highly recommend it. Use some common sense and read up before you blindly start throwing third party applications at the device. Treocentral is a great place to research what works and what doesn't.

I have owned a lot of high tech gadgets and never had one that doesn't have some quirk or need some tweaking to get it where I want it. I have an Ipaq HX4705 as well and there has been some trial and error to get things working properly there as well. It comes with the territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfriend
    Otter,

I've read the majority of the current posts and the overwhelming majority of those are by people who are having reset issues, volume issues and various other problems. I did not see anything from people who have had zero issues.

Thanks for your feedback just the same...
    You are correct in that people with problems start more threads than the people who aren't having them. However, a lot of the them chime in.

Anyway, here is one thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=love+treo
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i love my treo 650...the thing that ticked me off the most happend yesterday when the treo erased all my keys and preferences for my apps....oh well didnt take long to re do it when i got home..but yeah its skoolie coolie yo
    Hofo.... How come you have 2 Treo 650s? I'm also on Rogers, and have an unlocked Cingular T600. I'm thinking about upgrading to T650, but not sure if I should go unlocked or Rogers... any advise?
    I think your question is legitimate even though there are other threads on the subject.
    I use my Treo everyday. It's with me where ever I go. Altho there are many things that can be improved, it's vastly superior to the Treo 300 and 600 and much more reliable. Unlike some, I don't load every Palm program ever made onto the Treo. I use it extensively for email (Snappermail fetch every 30 minutes), Phone calls (3-7 a day), TomTom GPS (terrific), Zagat's (older version that works) a couple of games, flight status, clockpop5, intillegolf and more. I use handsfree bluetooth (Cardo). WIth all that I still have 8M free. I use the web occasionally. I find it does almost everything a laptop does and has eliminated my need to take a laptop on trips.
    True, some people have received defective Treos, but I think a lot of the other problems you read about on this board are due to 3rd party software and low memory. Although I have had a soft reset now and then (maybe 1 a week). This has not been critical to me.
    In the end, purchasing a Treo is a personal decision which depends on how you would use the Treo. If you just need a phone, there are better ones. If you just need a PDA, there are better ones. But if you want both rolled into one along with wireless access to email and the web, I would consider the Treo 650.
    Zero problems? It's a computer. Name me one computer that has "zero" problems. But my 650 is as reliable as my 600 was.

Just like a computer, most reliability issues have to do with the software, not the hardware. There's plenty of software available that will give you fits on a 650. There's also plenty of software that works great. And, as has been mention, there are many threads discussing what works and what doesn't.

As for "a lot of them chime it," yes. Mostly the same people chiming in over and over, in thread after thread.

If you want an absolutely reliable phone, then buy a phone. A basic, non-extensible phone. But if you want a combination phone/PDA, then you're entering a different world. And whether you choose a 600, a 650, or a PPC based device, you're going to run into all the kinds of software compatibility issues that affect computers of any size. The difference between the 600 and 650, at this point, have as much to do with how long the devices have been available. After more than a year, all the ISVs have figured out how to get their software to work on the 600. Check back a year from now, and and all the people complaining now will be complaining about the new device, and swearing to stick with their 650.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Zero problems, last 3 weeks, including daily use of Versamail :-)

Cingular, Firmware 1.04, Software Treo650-1.02-CNG, Gem+ SIM

Aloke
    NO problems here. Only had it about two weeks.

Never had any problems with my 600 either (had that since day one).
    Very few problems. If this is viewed strictly as a phone, more than normal. However it is a PDA also, and it's about what I've dealt with from nearly every other PDA I've owned.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    On a day-to-day basis, virtually NO PROBLEMS, including NO SOFT RESETS. When problems occur, they ALWAYS relate to a recently installed 3rd party applications.
    Two Treo 650's, got both replaced once each, got SIMS replaced for both once each, 3 weeks since present phones and SIMS, only one reset between the 2, aftre all the hassles, I ended up with two good phones, and we love them.
    http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.asp

You will find that this site offers good advice about software compatibility. Medium and High compatibility is what I would shoot for.

Just hard reset my 650 to remove some gremlins and zLauncher, mine seems trouble free now (knock on wood).

Most have had issues with Versamail, I use a combo of Chatter and Versamail, and reports of the network time setting feature seems to be an issue.

I am sure that my efficiency has been improved dramatically with the use of the Treo 600 previously and now the 650 (in use since Nov 2004).
    Gene
  17.    #17  
    Synching with exchange is a necessity so is Versamail the only option?
    I believe Snappermail will do so, too. Its a much better email app than Versamail (IMO).
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I have had no more problems on my 650 than I did on my 600. I love my 650! You couldn't pay me to go back to the 600! But for those with too many issues check my sig........
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Hi there!!

Love my Treo. Immediately went from Treo 600 to 650 when the 650 came out. Have had few problems. Only recurring problem is with Versamail not consistently getting email when auto retrieving every hour. Also the screen light dims too quickly. Otherwise...so many cool applications running...email, phone, web, games inoah, ipedia, displaying pictures. Great screen, keyboard. Don't use the camera too much...insufficient quality for me .( I import pictures from my PC). Hebrew applications, Eshdev Siddur, Luach. Flight Status, Directory Assist. Love phone Speeddial setup..contacts integration for phone and email. Web Bookmarking. PCS Vision could be faster.

Anyway, all in all Treo 650 is great...no soft resets at all!

I highly recommend the Treo 650.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast