View Poll Results: Which would your pick?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treo 650 GSM

72 49.32%
  • Treo 650 CDMA

74 50.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which Treo would you pick?
    I'm in contractual hell with Sprint right now, so I had to get a CDMA 650. But if I had a choice, I would have gotten a GSM version...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sprint service is flaky in alot of parts of SoCal. Of course so is T-Mobile, Cingular and AT&T. But I ended up getting a GSM treo because I like the fact that I could switch between sims if I ever needed to.
    Treo 650 on Verizon. & I'm not talking of a Verizonized Sprint version, but waiting it out till either VZW or Alltel carries it, as Verizons coverage can't be beat for the time-being where I need service...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    CDMA is a better technology; you get more calls on the same bandwidth, faster data, and require lower power. However, your experience will ultimately be determined by your service provider, regardless of the technology.
    GSM all the way.
    - You take the SIM card out of the 650 and place in another phone, and you keep your Cell phone number
    - World phone and can use in Most countries out there.

To combine the 2 pts above. If you are a contractor and work all over the place (countrywise), then you can have a phone plan with Country #1 with SIM #1 and then if you go to live in another country to live for 6 months for work or whatever, you can use the same same phone with a new SIM card and plan (Country #2 and SIM Card #2). This way, you will not have to pay hundreds of dollars in roaming charges.

Trust me, there are people that do this out there and actually find it better
    I think there is more to it than CDMA versus GSM. A lot depends on the carrier. I prefer Sprint's CDMA mostly because of pricing. They were the largest carrier with the most reasonable data plan ($15 a month unlimited) out there when I last checked.

While it is true that GSM can use swapped SIMs, you also need to pay for a seperate service overseas to go along with the swapped SIM. Personally, I don't travel overseas enough to justify it.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AznTriniBwoy
    GSM all the way.
    - You take the SIM card out of the 650 and place in another phone, and you keep your Cell phone number
    - World phone and can use in Most countries out there.

To combine the 2 pts above. If you are a contractor and work all over the place (countrywise), then you can have a phone plan with Country #1 with SIM #1 and then if you go to live in another country to live for 6 months for work or whatever, you can use the same same phone with a new SIM card and plan (Country #2 and SIM Card #2). This way, you will not have to pay hundreds of dollars in roaming charges.

Trust me, there are people that do this out there and actually find it better
    Or, use CDMA and enjoy it's superior coverage here in the US - then buy a cheap GSM phone off of Ebay and buy local sim's wherever/whenever you travel internationally.
    i bought unlocked for the resale and no DUN acrobatics. maybe i would consider Verizon CDMA if their data wasn't so overpriced. T-Mo for now...
    I'm holding out, at the moment, for a Verizon-based Treo 650, for one entirely non-technological reason: Cingular refuses to offer insurance on PDA-phones such as the Treo and the Blackberry. Verizon does not appear to have any such compunction -- they currently insure my Kyocera 7135, and the salescritters I spoke to seemed to think they'd insure a Treo or Blackberry without complaint.

Then, too, I'm kinda hoping that the initial Verizon Treo 650 releases will contain fixes for a number of the more egregious problems I've seen on these forums since I've started poking around about this. If not, I may be going for a Blackberry, instead :-/

(Why not just keep the 7135? I love it, but I'm on my third one, now, after the first two developed entirely different chronic instabilities! I'm fully expecting this third one to eventually flake out, as well, by which time, I'll probably be eligible for my new-every-two discount...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Or, use CDMA and enjoy it's superior coverage here in the US - then buy a cheap GSM phone off of Ebay and buy local sim's wherever/whenever you travel internationally.
    True, good point. But if you love the Treo like I do, I would like to use it whenever and where ever I want to (I need to stop playing with this thing )

Plus I depend on it on a daily basis (ie. PIM - Calendar, Task List, Memos, etc)

BTW, I know all phones these days offer PIM features, but the with the 650 you can add/modify/delete/etc entires easier cause of its QWERTY keyboard as well as I don't want to go through the hassel of merging the information from the two devices together.

Ah well, to each their own. GSM is ideal for me, but I see your point still. Just pointing out some advantages of GSM if it applies
    Quote Originally Posted by pi314
    CDMA is a better technology; you get more calls on the same bandwidth, faster data, and require lower power. However, your experience will ultimately be determined by your service provider, regardless of the technology.
    Faster data. You've got to be kidding. Can CDMA compete with EDGE?
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Faster data. You've got to be kidding. Can CDMA compete with EDGE?
    CDMA 1xRTT? No.

By at least some reports I've seen, however, CDMA 1xEV-DO beats EDGE. Not by a lot, but it beats it.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Wow. are you guys serious? CDMA1x very easily competes with EDGE. For most Treo 650 users, the difference in speed is negligible. In fact, many of the speed test results over at dslreports.com tend to suggest that 1x is even a touch faster on average. (these tests were done on laptop cards, which tend to be a more accurate representation of speed) Not bad for a technology that's a few years older than EDGE.

EV-DO is in a different league altogether. It doesn't even belong in the same sentence as EDGE.
    Last edited by Minsc; 03/18/2005 at 06:55 AM.
    I had GSM in LA and switched to Spring for the Treo 650. My service is WAY better with Sprint. I used to lose calls all the time and now it is pretty rock solid. Voice quality doesnt seem as good, but that may be my phone....

Mike
    new to treo land. just got a 650 through sprint. noticed right away that if i am transmitting or receiving any data then i cannot receive a voice call. if i am synchronizing to our exchange server via eas with versamail i actually get a fast busy when calling at the same exact time as the sync. my understanding is that this effect is due to cdma. i read elsewhere on this site that a treo 650 gsm does a better job with this. if sending or receiving data then the treo will give me the option to receive the voice call -- not disregard it altogether.

any comments?
    I don't really understand why anyone would choose something besides GSM, except for reasons of coverage. It just seems to me to be a much smarter implementation: everything about a subscriber is stored on a SIM, which can be moved from phone to phone. I still don't understand why a phone has to be associated with a specific provider. Imagine if this were the case for landline phones!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alanders0n
    new to treo land. just got a 650 through sprint. noticed right away that if i am transmitting or receiving any data then i cannot receive a voice call. if i am synchronizing to our exchange server via eas with versamail i actually get a fast busy when calling at the same exact time as the sync. my understanding is that this effect is due to cdma. i read elsewhere on this site that a treo 650 gsm does a better job with this. if sending or receiving data then the treo will give me the option to receive the voice call -- not disregard it altogether.

any comments?
    Do a search on this topic, there's easily a dozen threads devoted to this. The GSM model does NOT give you the option of receiving the voice call during data transfer - it will go straight to VM just like the CDMA model does. The difference is that the GPRS/EDGE connection seems to be much "burstier" than CDMA 1x, so incoming calls do seem to sneak "between the cracks" which gives the impression that it will allow voice to come through during a data session.

Bottom line is that you will miss some calls when using data on both CDMA and GSM, but you will definitely notice this effect less with the GSM model.

Hopefully the next generation of wireless technologies for both sides will allow simultaneous voice/data, which will eliminate this problem.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I don't really understand why anyone would choose something besides GSM, except for reasons of coverage. It just seems to me to be a much smarter implementation: everything about a subscriber is stored on a SIM, which can be moved from phone to phone. I still don't understand why a phone has to be associated with a specific provider. Imagine if this were the case for landline phones!
    Well coverage has historically been a pretty big differentiator between the 2 technologies, though GSM is narrowing the gap. I love the SIM card and the interoperability of GSM, but the thing that stops me every time is the data plan prices. I pay $10/month for unlimited data on Sprint which is pretty tough to beat. T-Mobile can't compete with that, and Cingular can't even come close. I absolutely refuse to pay as much for cell phone data as I do for my cable modem.
    So, after you spend $615, or even $715 you want to be able to swap sim cards with other phones?
    C'mon! after spending this kind of money you want your Treo 650 to be THE PHONE for years.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast