View Poll Results: Which would your pick?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treo 650 GSM

72 49.32%
  • Treo 650 CDMA

74 50.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    I still don't understand why a phone has to be associated with a specific provider.
    Aren't "locked" GSM phones tied to the subsidising carrier, too?
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Try them all and see what works best in your area. If you live in one of the 21 cities covered by Verizon, EV-DO is an advanatge....as longas you don't leave. But Verizon will get the 650 about a week for the enxt Treo comes out. If they are all pretty equaly in places you frequent, the following articles are pretty clear.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770717,00.asp

Performance tests can be found here by clicking on "TEST RESULTS" but watch for th logarithmic scale.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770853,00.asp

Read these two articles, then make a decision. Though they both are pretty darn clear about their conclusion. The only thing I questione was the Editor's Choice pick for Verizon stating it was based upon performance and its wide availability.....to me 21 cities isn't wide availability. That March 22 PC Rag is wortha trip to the news stand just for that article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Well coverage has historically been a pretty big differentiator between the 2 technologies, though GSM is narrowing the gap. I love the SIM card and the interoperability of GSM, but the thing that stops me every time is the data plan prices. I pay $10/month for unlimited data on Sprint which is pretty tough to beat. T-Mobile can't compete with that, and Cingular can't even come close. I absolutely refuse to pay as much for cell phone data as I do for my cable modem.
    That *is* a great data rate on Sprint, but it's extremely slow, isn't it? BTW, if you search elsewhere on this forum, you'll discover that people are using T-Mobile's T-Zones ($4.99/month) just fine with their Treo 650s, and that's unlimited data, too I think in addition to T-Mobile, Cingular now has unlimited data for $20 or $25/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    Aren't "locked" GSM phones tied to the subsidising carrier, too?
    They are, but at least they CAN be unlocked. Is that a possibility for CDMA? (I guess it's moot, because CDMA ties you to one provider, anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by topacio
    So, after you spend $615, or even $715 you want to be able to swap sim cards with other phones? C'mon! after spending this kind of money you want your Treo 650 to be THE PHONE for years.
    I spent $325. The logic here though there are times that you might not wanna be carrying your Treo but wanna carry a phone. For example, when I go mountain biking, the idea of being out in the woods and no way to call someone in an emergency when you break your leg is a bit scary. But mant Treo owners would rather break their leg than their Treo. So they have a 2nd phone that they swap the card into and leave the Treo at hoe or in the car when they go mountain biking, fishing or trips into tough neighborhoods <g>.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    That *is* a great data rate on Sprint, but it's extremely slow, isn't it? BTW, if you search elsewhere on this forum, you'll discover that people are using T-Mobile's T-Zones ($4.99/month) just fine with their Treo 650s, and that's unlimited data, too I think in addition to T-Mobile, Cingular now has unlimited data for $20 or $25/month.
    Slow compared to what... a cable modem? then yes. CDMA 1x is roughly equivalent (in real world usage) to EDGE. Plenty fast for email and light web browsing.

I'm pretty sure T-Mo doesn't offer T-Zones for that price anymore - but even if they do, it's not the same thing. It's either WAP only, and/or they block ports - so no using VPN. Sprint's VISION doesn't block any ports. T-Mobile's true unlimited data plan is $20/month, and is GPRS only. (slow)

You're right, I think Cingular does have a $25 data plan now, but it doesn't include any text messages or MMS, and I *think* it too blocks ports. -not positive on that. Cingular will try to sell you their $40/month data plan, which is ludicrous. Verizon's data plan stinks too - $45/month. That's highway robbery in my opinion.
    Last edited by Minsc; 03/19/2005 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by topacio
    So, after you spend $615, or even $715 you want to be able to swap sim cards with other phones?
    C'mon! after spending this kind of money you want your Treo 650 to be THE PHONE for years.
    Um. No, you want your Treo 650 to be the phone for years, so you want to put other Sim cards in it (e.g., when you travel or switch providers).
    We're winning! We're winning! YAY CDMA! Seriously though. I can understand the idea behind swapping SIMS, but knowing me, that would be the one time I needed a phone number that was in my Palm, but not my "other" phone. Which brings me to an interesting question. As a bonafide GSM hater, I must admit I know very little about it other than the brief association I had with it when Radioshack was selling PowerTel (that'll take you back), but I do know this. Contacts are supposed to be stored on the SIM. If you have say, 1661 contacts in your database (as I do) then how many of those will "show up" on the cheapee Nokia I have reserved for mountain biking? Because those types of phones generally have a more limited "contacts" database than a Treo. Enlighten me people.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    That *is* a great data rate on Sprint, but it's extremely slow, isn't it?
    Can anone tell em where to find such data plans on te Sprint web site, all I can come up with are their $40 / $80 data plans.

As for what Cingular charges, I don't think "Ya get what ya pay for" is the appropriate answer but i think in Cingular's mind they are charging more money for what they perceive is a superior product. This is a quote from the link in Message 22 above.

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage."

"This [Cingular's] Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) "

"The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."

"Web browsing on Palm's Blazer browser felt slower than the tested 160 Kbps. This is because of the EDGE network's relatively long latency time, which affects the speed at which the Web servers appear to respond to requests from the Treo. It's still faster than Sprint's network, however. Blazer easily handled formatting major Web pages like PCMag.com, and graphics looked razor sharp."

Due to the latency issue, the observed difference in retrieving small files and loading smalll pages is not that great however when the sizes get bigger the difference gets very noticeable. It's like comparing home "dial up" speeds to broadband, you do pay more for broadband. For detailed information and tested speeds at various metro areas see this link (again from #22 from above) which is very detailed in its explanations and test results.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770853,00.asp

Verizon's broadband is faster than EDGE tho available in only 21 cities so, if the analogy holds, we should expect them to charge even more. Here's a cost / performance comparison:

Verizon $45 per mo / 900 Kbps / 29 Kbps per $1 (plan available on web site)
    Edge $25 / 200Kbps / 8Kps per $1 (plan available on web site)
    Sprint $10 / 80Kbps / 8Kbps per $1 (can't find this plan on web site)

I was kinda disappointed that Sprint service here isn't that great when I see posts with $10 unlimited but going onto the Sprint site today I see that I'm not doing so bad. Are these cheap Sprint plans still available ?

In summary, here's what I was able to pull off the two web sites today. This assumes no "tricksy hobbits" not telling vendor we using PDAs

Cingular - $70 for two phones and 850 shared minutes and $40 for Unlimited PDA Plan = $110
    Sprint - $70 for two phones and 800 shared minutes + $80 for 300 MB PDA Plan = $160
    Advantage Cingular for $50, extra 50 phone minutes, broadband service availability and no limit on data.

Cingular - $70 for two phones and 850 shared minutes and $35 for 20MB PDA Plan w/ broadband EDGE service = $105
    Sprint - $70 for two phones and 800 shared minutes + $40 for 20 MB PDA Plan = $110
    Advantage Cingular for $5, extra 50 minutes and broadband service availability

I tried for an hour to get thru to Sprint to see if there were any more options but it was a continual busy signal.
    Continous busy signal? Tell me another one, Jorge. Try this number. (800)658-7564 Live pick up, everytime.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Jack, the $80/month Sprint plan you're seeing is for PC cards only (like for a laptop), not for phones. I'm not looking at Sprint's website right now, but their unlimited Vision is $15/month. However, many of us have been offered Vision for $10/month just by asking.
    (I think the $15/month package includes $5 of credit towards ring tones and other crap, so if you don't want that you can opt for the $10 plan)

I've read that same review, yet I don't know anyone here who's consistently getting EDGE speeds of 150K or higher. Most are around 100, which is about the same as Sprint. In fact, I've been reading many posts from folks who are getting more like 60-70K average on EDGE - depending on the area they're in.
    EDGE speeds are far more affected by heavy network usage than Sprint, as EDGE really needs multiple timeslots per cell site to get the speed throttled up. In a busy environement this doesn't happen much.

If you're a world traveler, however, then GSM is the way to go - no question. The data roaming is another feather in their cap as well - I'm hopeful that the CDMA providers in this country can get that figured out soon.
    Last edited by Minsc; 03/19/2005 at 04:53 PM.
    Hi JackNaylorPE,

Check out this: http://discussion.treocentral.com/t...ghlight=realtor

You can get data for free and discounts for treo650.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi314
    CDMA is a better technology; you get more calls on the same bandwidth, faster data, and require lower power. However, your experience will ultimately be determined by your service provider, regardless of the technology.
    If the CDMA requires lower power how come the battery life on CDMA treos is always substantially shorter than the GSM models. As for more calls ont he same bandwidth...that probably won't mean much to the end user.
    but honestly i dunno which side i would go on

well no, not really, i would stay on GSM...BUT!! I used to be with CDMA, bell mobility...and the reason i left is for rail coverage it was terrible at best...whereas GSM was solid...anyways back to my point...a lot of you will probably laugh at me...but at this point if i were to buy a CDMA phone it would have to have an analog band in it...yeah i know its old tech etc...but bell is still live with analog...and well i would want to cover my arse as much as possible...and of course if this thing had EVDO it would be a no brainer, as data is basically a must with the treo
    They are, but at least they CAN be unlocked. Is that a possibility for CDMA? (I guess it's moot, because CDMA ties you to one provider, anyway).
    Yes, it is possible; no, it's not moot. While I do agree that interoperablility amongst carriers is intended in at least some GSM phones, and no CDMA phones, I would consider the Verizonisation hacks for Treo 650's, T608's, etc "unlocking."
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Continous busy signal? Tell me another one, Jorge. Try this number. (800)658-7564 Live pick up, everytime.
    That would be nice if that info was made available to the public however the number given on their web site, at least for my zip code, is 1-888-253-1315 . I finally got thru and am on my 2nd call with them now as the fist guy's accent was so strong I couldn't understand him. New guy apparently is unaware of PDA plans.
    Jack, the $80/month Sprint plan you're seeing is for PC cards only (like for a laptop), not for phones. I'm not looking at Sprint's website right now, but their unlimited Vision is $15/month.
    Looks like their web site needs a little clarification. Here's what I am reading:

"Get on the Internet wirelessly with your laptop or PDA, and enjoy access to Web pages, email, messaging and corporate information.

$40 20MB
    $80 300MB

* A one-year PCS Advantage Agreement is required.
    * Additional kilobytes $0.002.
    * Additional $0.20/minute charge for calls made on PCS Connection Cards™ with voice capability."

I'll go look some more for the and see what I can find. I think all carrier these sites are intentiuonally contradictory so that you give up and make a call
    One thing I have noticed since the GSM folks started militantly bashing CDMA, while waiting for their GSM 650's to come out. This is sounding more and more like the Mac vs PC debate. There are no winners. Get the one that does the best job for you. No one here in the forum can tell YOU, what is the best coverage in your area, unless they themselves have tried the different phones in YOUR area, not theirs.
    I've read that same review, yet I don't know anyone here who's consistently getting EDGE speeds of 150K or higher. Most are around 100, which is about the same as Sprint. In fact, I've been reading many posts from folks who are getting more like 60-70K average on EDGE - depending on the area they're in.
    That's explained in the long article.....if you are grabbing a lot of "tiny bits" EDGE's latency issue means a lot of pauses between starts and stops. If you want that 0.5 MB spreadsheet that ya forgot at that offcie sent to ya though, you see higher speeds as there's less latency hit with the larger files.

I wonder if the speeds are any diffeent since the Cingular ROM Update ?

Neither much matters to me personally as I don't have much need for data except on rare occassions. As I am never far from a land line, a phone call which tells me to fire up my laptop and grab a file is a much more efficient way for me to do things on a 17" screen rather than a 2.5" inch one. I mean it's kinda "kew-el" to get all that stuff on a little tiny device but not very productive. I can type up whatever's needed or edit a CAD drawing file then get to a land line and fire it out faster than I could type it with my thumbs. Paying 1 cent a KB has served me well so far.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast