1.    #1  
    Now that I'm working on POP3 for ChatterEmail, I am reminded of what a crock POP3 is when it comes to attachments.

Did you know that a POP3 client can't have ANY idea of what attachments are in a message without actually reading it? For example, let's say you have an email with two attachments of moderate size (say, 50k). Unless and until you've FINISHED reading the first 50k attachment, there's no way to know that there's another one! And if you've got more attachments, it's (by the same token) even worse. So to get to a 1k attachment that's after 4 250k attachments, you'd have to read the full megabyte first! Indeed, you wouldn't even know there WAS a 5th attachment until you read the first four. BARBAROUS!

With IMAP, you can get information about ALL attachments up front, without loading anything. And you can load any attachment independent of others. (Just one of VERY many reasons to prefer IMAP).

I really don't see why anyone with an option wouldn't choose to use an IMAP host over a POP3 host.

Marc
    sorry marc...off topic

sometimes a yahoo user will forward me an email and yahoo has an option when forwarding to forward as an attachment or as "inline text". If the user sends it as an attachment chatter doesn't see that attachment. Is it possible to add support for this type of attachment?

thanks....

now back to trashing pop
  3.    #3  
    I would think it's the other way around... Can you have a user like this send me a message like that?

Marc
    Just sent you the same forwarded message both ways

thanks!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank

I really don't see why anyone with an option wouldn't choose to use an IMAP host over a POP3 host.

Marc

That's just it. Some times there is no option but to use pop3...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sorry Marc, but POP3 is the only way to go for me. I store all of my business emails in a special database application (Time Matters). The emails get downloaded and filed away according to the client. Then, when I view client information, I can see all of my phone calls, calendar items, documents, emails, notes, and other information together. I manage emails, email addresses, and attachments from within the program.

When away from the desktop, Snappermail downloads the first portion of each message. I junk the ones I don't want, and leave the important ones on the server for later downloading by my database app. If the emails have attachments I need, I mark those for downloading the entire message on the Treo.

POP3 works great for me. I don't see how IMAP would be an improvement unless my database app supported it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  7.    #7  
    heberman - Don't get me wrong; I'm supporting POP3 soon enough. It's just a very painful protocol to use on a phone (especially if attachments need to be viewed/downloaded).

Marc
    yeah.. I agree.. but all I have is my sprintpcs pop3 email acct... really hadn't needed anything else.. works for me.. like snapper alot.. but hoping for functioanlity from chatter..
    95 perc of time I use my treo for all email & attach... & supports splash photo etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    yeah.. I agree.. but all I have is my sprintpcs pop3 email acct... really hadn't needed anything else.. works for me.. like snapper alot.. but hoping for functioanlity from chatter..
    95 perc of time I use my treo for all email & attach... & supports splash photo etc....
    Your SprintPCS mail supports IMAP. I have my SprintPCS mail setup in Chatter now. It just doesnt support IDLE. If you have your PCS mail setup to send SMS messages you can then have Chatter fetch that mail for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    heberman - Don't get me wrong; I'm supporting POP3 soon enough. It's just a very painful protocol to use on a phone (especially if attachments need to be viewed/downloaded).Marc
    I'll be interested to see Chatter when it supports POP3. Good luck!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I know nothing about imap.. could u explain how I could set it up for my sprintpcs email & the adv/disadvantages..
    thanx
    john