1.    #1  
    There are numerous post here about the GPS software used for street Maps. Since it seemed clear that people are happy with TomTom 2004 Navigator I just put in my order so I would have it this weekend to play with.

But what I really want to use the GPS for is hiking and Mtn Biking. So far I have not seen many reviews of Topo Map software for the 650. I have seen Delorne and MapTech mentioned but no real details.

So my first question is:
    Does anyone have have experience with Topo Map Software on the 650? What are the pros and cons?

Some other questions/concerns:

Does the Topo Map software work well with BlueTooth and the GPS unit from TomTom

How much memory is used by the maps. This summer we will be hiking in Montana and I would like to have the entire state on my 512M SD card.

Can the software report the your total elevation gain/loss at the end of a trip.

Can it let you put in a destination and a trail and give you instructions along the way.

What maps does it come with and how expensive are new maps.

Thanks for any information....

John
    Quote Originally Posted by jthomas119
    There are numerous post here about the GPS software used for street Maps. Since it seemed clear that people are happy with TomTom 2004 Navigator I just put in my order so I would have it this weekend to play with.

But what I really want to use the GPS for is hiking and Mtn Biking. So far I have not seen many reviews of Topo Map software for the 650. I have seen Delorne and MapTech mentioned but no real details.

So my first question is:
    Does anyone have have experience with Topo Map Software on the 650? What are the pros and cons?

Some other questions/concerns:

Does the Topo Map software work well with BlueTooth and the GPS unit from TomTom

How much memory is used by the maps. This summer we will be hiking in Montana and I would like to have the entire state on my 512M SD card.

Can the software report the your total elevation gain/loss at the end of a trip.

Can it let you put in a destination and a trail and give you instructions along the way.

What maps does it come with and how expensive are new maps.

Thanks for any information....

John
    It appears that no one has had experience with these except mine with MapTech's Outdoor Navigator. I'm disappointed primarily due to its low-resolution--it's hard to read. Otherwise, it takes very little memory and loads quickly. They don't have any definite plans to increase resolution. DeLorme's product looks good but I haven't heard of anyone who's used it and they don't appear to have a trial.
  3.    #3  
    AcousticBiker,
    Thanks, I have found a fairly detailed review of the MapTech Pocket Navigator which is a PocketPC app.

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/maptech-pocket-navigator.php

Had you seen this review? It has lots of images of the PDA screen, would say that it is similar to what you see with MapTechs OutDoor Navigator on your Treo.

I am looking for a more information about the DeLorme Topo5.

John
  4.    #4  
    Here are some updates on my attempts to get Topo map GPS support on my TREO.

MapTech
    I used the free trial to give this a whirl. As others have mentioned the screen resolution makes it almost impossible to use on a sunny day. However it did work fine and considering the reasonable price, it is a good alternative on very cloudy days.

Pocket Topo from NationalGeographics. Since I already had the TOPO map from NG for California I spent $25 to order PocketTopo,
    There were some very vague references on the web that it supported bluetooth. After a few days of playing phone tag with the support person at Natl Geo. I found that they do not support bluetooth on the Palm, only on the Pocket PC. However they were very nice and refunded my money. I may try back next year when they think they will have the support for Palm Bluetooth.
    Their Topo maps were much more readable on the treo even in the sun. And there are sites where you can get trailmaps that can be merged with the topo maps.

cotoGPS
    This is not Topo map software but I found it useful. It is freeware that will give you a lot of information about your GPS unit.
    http://core.de/~coto/projects/cotogps/

One thing that it has that I thought is useful is that it can show your altitude along with speed and direction. And you can use it to measure how far you have walked or ran.
    Hi jthomas,

Your choices are limited. The only program that works fairly well at the moment is Pathaway3 (around 60 bucks). I am using it with the Navilock BT338 Bluetooth GPS receiver. However, you have to get the topo-maps from a desktop program or scan and calibrate them yourself. If you use Touratech windows software, the transfer is seemless, but you have to shell out around 200 bucks just for the desktop program (I didnt do that, too much money). I am using topo-maps in a very limited area, so there is no real problem for me calibrating a captured map (I am using MAGICMAPS topo 25.000, covering the whole of germany, but there are similar program for other contries)

Another possibility is Fugawi which has a palm client program. However, the palm program DOES NOT WORK at the moment (it used to work on my Tungsten C). After talking to fugawi support, it am fairly confident that they will resolve the issue.
    A free alternative with bluetooth support is GPS4Palm. But again, you have to prepare your scanned/captured topo-maps yourself. The program is free but still has significantly more issues with map display and zooming compared to Pathaway.

Frank