1.    #1  
    Hey, which do you think would be faster- a PCMCIA reader or a usb 2.0? i tried googling the max transfer for a 32bit pc card slot and can't find it... i know that usb2 is 480mbps.
    then also is for anyone who actually uses them, in real life usage which do you think is faster?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    pc card is always going to be faster. However I don't think the reader is your limiting factor. It'll be the SD card's speed that will be your limiter.
  3.    #3  
    ok thanks, i'm getting a few of the fastest sd cards i can get (not for use in a treo) and i need a new reader because mine is being flaky- i was thinking of getting a pc card reader that way i just stick it in the slot and it stays there... no dongle for the usb... but i didn't know if i'd take a performance hit.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    i finally bought a card reader for the card i have...my toshiba P25 couldnt read the size of it....anyways got the sandisk 12-1...super fast!...and the cool part is, there is two connectors in the package. One directly attached to the base, and then one that is about 5cm long. The card reader itself can be taken off the base, and i do that, take it off throw it into my laptop bag and away i go

however i am appealing to flash card makers out there to make something like the Sony USM-B (http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/M...ult/usm-b.html) flash drive with a flash reader in it. Ie the flash drive has its own memory, and a memory stick can be added to it to expand its size

I would love if they came out with one for the SD card, and increased the speeds to the standard these days, 10MB/s
  5.    #5  
    why they do make such a thing- i saw it at ecost today while searching for memory and readers... ill see if i can find the link
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    The 32-bit Cardbus slots available on most modern laptops are based on the venerable PCI bus which has a theoretical max bandwith of 132MBps = 1056Mbps. You'll notice that this is higher than the 480Mbps of USB 2.0, which makes sense seeing that your USB 2.0 pc cards use this bus.

XiiiXiii is right though, the SD card is the limiting speed factor. Even with a Sandisk Extreme III SD card rated at 20MBps = 160Mbps, either bus will preform the same.

Now you know why you should throw your 12Mbps USB 1.0 card readers in the trash.
    I currently own both a Lexar Trio (USB2 transfer) and Sandisk 6-in-1 PC Card Adapter (SDAD-67-A10). I love using PC card adapters on my laptop (a dell latitude d600), but for some reason that I can't figure out, write speeds to my sandisk 1gb extreme 3 are PAINFULLY SLOWER on the pc card than on the usb2! We're talkin' about 4 minutes to fill up 1gb on usb2 with the lexar trio and around 15-18 minutes to fill up using the sandisk pc card! I have no clue why this is. Is it because this pc card reader is only 16 bit? Is it because of some random DMA setting? (i remember this from the days of cdr drives).

Any help at all would be veeery appreciated!
    the reason is probably the following...even sandisk told me their present readers on the market have problems with the Extreme 3 series...so thus that is why the slow speeds

SanDisk Response: (02/03/2005 04:58)
    Dear KSA,
    At this time we have not discovered a maximum card size for our readers. The only limitation they have is they will not read the Extreme III cards.
    Best regards,
    SanDisk Customer Support
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Well, there is a panasonic cardbus one just announced on dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/) that looks promising.. I might be tempted to go for that... Interestingly using an adapter inside a PC Card based reader slows the performance considerably.