Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I have just spent a solid one and a half hours going through hell trying to get a replacement for my defective 650. Here is my tale of woe:

Called Palm store (hold time: 4.5 minutes). Spoke with Gale who has so much trouble hearing me I have to yell at the top of my lungs everything I say. I tell her the following (this will be known as "The Whole Nine Yards" henceforth): My Palm keyboard slows down to a crawl and makes the phone unusable. She asks if I've had the problem before. YES, I yell. Have I spoken to tech support? YES, I yell. Do I have a repair order number. I yell the number to her. Who is my carrier? CINGULAR, BUT I BOUGHT IT THROUGH YOU, THE PALM STORE, I scream.

She says she has to talk to her supervisor. The supervisor, Teresa Lim, tells her to tell me that "Palm and Cingular have an agreement that no matter where I purchased the phone, I must go through my carrier for all repairs." I get a Cingular number and hang up.

Called Cingular at 800 331 0500 and spoke with Gayle Crow. She seems to have absolutely no idea what I am talking about (which is what I suspected would happen) but tells me to call 800 801 1101, which she says is a Cingular third party Warranty Exchange Program company. I tell her I can't believe a 3rd party is going to care about my phone when in fact I bought it from Palm and have no warranty with Cingular. I say to Gayle, "I will call the warranty company if you're absolutely, positively, 100% certain you've given me accurate information and you know for sure this is the right thing for me to do." Gayle talks to her supervisor, Barbara Souza, who says to go back to the Palm Store, Cingular has nothing to do with this problem. (Thanks for NOTHING Teresa!!!)

Second call to Palm One (Hold time: 4 minutes) Spoke with Rachael and reiterated The Whole Nine Yards. I make no mention of my previous calls. She says they could process a return and was in the middle of verifying my serial number when I just got cut off! I literally get a dial tone while she's talking to me. (I myself have used this very tactic: When you don't want to talk to someone, don't hang up when they're talking... hang up while you're talking! Makes it much more believable!)

Third call to Palm One: Spoke with Angel to whom I must restate The Whole Nine Yards again, at which point she tells me to talk to Cingular, at which point I scream "I'm not doing that!!!" over and over again until she relents, says they'll take care of the problem, then proceeds to put me on hold.

Travis, a Treo 650 tech support supervisor, comes on the line and tells me that because I'm within the 30 day return period he can't process the return and tells me to call the Palm Store at 800 881 7256. Extremely exasperated, I tell him that's the number I did call to talk to him. He says to press 3 then 1 but to hang on and he'll call it for me! I tell him it's just stunning how unfriendly and complicated it is to get a return processed. (I say this many times in different ways.) Travis repeats over and over and over again he's just following policy. (It has now been over an hour of being on the phone.) Travis, while following policy, is the first and only human I've spoken with at Palm who had ANY accurate information about how to proceed.

Fourth call to Palm One (at least I didn't have to dial this one; on hold for 7 minutes): Spoke with Eva who nearly immediately said she'd ship out another one overnight, practically with no questions asked. She then said that under 14 days you just call the Palm Store (not tech support) and they exchange the phone immediately, without going through tech support. When it's between 15 and 30 days, then you go through tech support but then the store part still does the exchange (still at no charge), and when it's over 30 days, then the replacement (assuming you don't shoot yourself before you've jumped through every agonizing hoop they place in your way) is done entirely through Treo 650 Technical Support at a USD$25 fee. I am so numb at this point from yelling, talking to clueless Palm-droids, being cut off, that this bizarre and Kafka-esque policy actually makes some sense.

It has now been an entire one and a half hours of the most aggravating, frustrating run-around in getting a simple replacement I've ever experienced from any company ever.

Palm, you are in deep trouble if you think you can keep customers with customer service that makes returns at a French department store look good (and the French know what I'm talking about!!).

Oh, and Palm, if you're listening: Why do you have people like Teresa Lim working for you? Seriously, why???

I await a new Treo 650.
    That could have been written by me with Sprint when the 600 came out. Its all worth it when you finally get rid of the problems.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Well, I certainly sympathize with your trials and tribulations, but did you really have to post the rep's names? I mean, they may be poorly trained, may not care and / or may be morons, but everyone has a basic right to privacy.

Perhaps you included the rep's names for dramatic impact. I hope you made fictitious substitutions.

You obviously have a right to be pissed. It just seems unfair to blurt out private info in an angry ferver.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    I don't see anything wrong with including names, they are a public company ...just don't slander them personally.
    There is nothing wrong with posting names. In fact it even serves a useful purpose. I now know who to stay away from if I should call Palm One.

That is the very spirit of this forum- to share information. Rowan I comend you and I thank you for your fine work!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    I don't see anything wrong with including names, they are a public company ...just don't slander them personally.
    Gotta agree with that. These people are speaking on behalf of their particular companies. Either the company sucks and gives them no training, or they are taking it on themselves not to bother to help anyone. Either way, somebody needs to hear about it. We Americans are really pretty good at not taking any responsibility for what we do, and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Did I say that?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    Correct...public company. Poorly trained, inadequate or uncaring support representatives are a responsibility of the company. You think they don't monitor support calls? Indeed they do and I would fault PalmOne and Cingular LONG before blaming a $6 an hour flunky with a 1/2 day of training (if that).

www.techyrants.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    We Americans are really pretty good at not taking any responsibility for what we do, and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Did I say that?
    Brilliant summation of the primary reason I'm Conservative and Damn Proud of it!

Todd/Indy
    And if you think back, all the GSM folks thought there was going to be NO way their phones had problems like Sprint's. Many folks here at treocentral kept saying, its the HARDWARE, not the carrier! Remember when Carvill said to the Republicans, "its the economy stupid!!" Even though he makes my skin crawl, perhaps we should have James Carvill as a Treo User Spokesman, and have HIM talk to PalmOne.

Gonna be interesting to see if the supposed upcoming Sprint firmware patch fixes some of the issues. Hopefully another will come soon afterwards for the GSM phones.

Maybe Verizon is smart, waiting for all the bugs to be worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jejagua
    Correct...public company. Poorly trained, inadequate or uncaring support representatives are a responsibility of the company. You think they don't monitor support calls? Indeed they do and I would fault PalmOne and Cingular LONG before blaming a $6 an hour flunky with a 1/2 day of training (if that).
    The woman he referred to in the end was a supervisor. I would expect she had a little more than 1/2 a days training and would be expected to know more than the last cs rep that finally helped him. I haven't tried calling PalmOne, but I was tranferred 7 times by Cingular. I only received answers when I started to talk slow as if to a small child.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    The woman he referred to in the end was a supervisor. I would expect she had a little more than 1/2 a days training and would be expected to know more than the last cs rep that finally helped him. I haven't tried calling PalmOne, but I was tranferred 7 times by Cingular. I only received answers when I started to talk slow as if to a small child.
    Yea, you'd think, but lets not assume anything. Supervisors and managers I've dealt with sometimes know a lot less than the worker bees. However, The Sup's have the power to approve resolutions.

In this case, the unit was purchased at a Palm store. It is easy to see why the carrier resisted taking responsibility for the return. Popular opinion beleives the carrier is responsible for any problem associated with the phone, but they derived no revenue from the initial sale, with the exception of a possible, but doubtful credit.

I just think as far as the names are concerned, it would be best to identify those individuals to the companies they represent, explaning what went wrong. Their names shouldn't be discussion fodder on a public forum.

Additionally, PalmOne outsources almost everything. There is no telling who these people actually work for. They are a merely a symptom...and it's better to go after the cause.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying people shouldn't be held accountable for their performance...and as far as political affiliation, I'm about as right leaning as to make most people appear as Red Commies.

If you have dealt with various tech supports enough, you develop a jaded, experienced way of dealing with them. Once you learn how to play their games, you can get your problems solved more efficiently.

www.techyrants.com
    In all fairness, I don't think Cingular's problems lie only with the Treo. I was on the phone for 45 minutes with 5 different people, to clear up a billing snafu. The AT&T merger seems to have them upside down. I can honestly say I don't recall any of the reps' names.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Maybe if today hadn't been my birthday, I would've cut them a little more slack! OK, wife is taking me out for Sushi now, so all will be OK.
    regarding Christina reply I look up the word Snafu on Merriams Websters Dictionary and here is the description I got

Main Entry: 1snaˇfu
    Pronunciation: sna-'fü, 'sna-"fü
    Function: noun
    Etymology: situation normal all ****ed up (fouled up)
    : CONFUSION, MUDDLE

I cant believed they posted the F word in the dictionary!
    I hate to say I told ya so....

But I told ya so.

Typical F1 response. Dear customer, give me $700 and eff off.

Sinkular is no better, but at least the "raise the bar" to the expected level for a phone carrier in the US: Sucky.
    Well, from the names mentioned I take it PalmOne finally decided to bring back some of its CS and TS from India. They used to have the majority of this operation outsourced. Of course, the result is not better customer service, but at least when you curse in anger they understand what you're saying.

As for CinguLiars, you can call them every 5 minutes, talk to some rep who would tell you a totally different "policy" item than the previous one. They lie shamelessly to get you off that telephone line.

Consumer product makers' motto in the eighties was "Quality is number 1." In the nineties it was "Customer first." In this decade, it is now "We don't give a crap anymore. We can take our manufacturing and service overseas, get a tax break from the US, and still screw you."
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Also, I'd like to say that my original description of my 1 1/2 hours in support hell wasn't about the 650 per se. True, I was calling about a 650 but I've also owned 3 270s (the first 2 needed to be returned) and the return process was pretty much hassle free. But that was back when Handspring was separate from PalmOne.

I think I credited the people who helped me (Travis in 650 Tech Support and Barbara over at Cingular were both given a tip of the hat). I stated names because they stated their names (they didn't have to) and I was never asked to keep their names secret or not divulge the contents of my conversations (they could've asked for that as well). And it's certainly possible they gave me fake names. Ultimately, I just documented my experience without any drawing any conclusions about competency. Ms Lim provided me with patently false information but in the end I simply asked why was Palm still employing her, nothing more than asking an open-ended question.

The sushi was excellent. See how calm I am now?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    3/17/05 11:55 AM (Hold time: 5 minutes) Called Palm Store (then option 3, then 1). Spoke with Loren who said she would email me the Return Mail Authorization (RMA) labels slip but never did. I called her because literally as I'm speaking to her the keyboard on the new 650 starts to freeze up. I tell her I now think it must be the SIM card and she puts me on hold to see if she can help me. She comes back to tell me to get a new card, to fax the receipt to Palm and that Palm will pay for it. This seems like the only solution at the moment. I ask Loren again, "Will I get the RMA tonight because I'm leaving for a week on Saturday." She assures me I definitely will. Nothing arrives. Nothing.

3/18/05 6:55 AM (Hold time: 4.5 minutes) Spoke with Ozzie who tells me the RMA labels are batch processed at only one time in each 24 hour period (at 8:15 PM) because they come from UPS. Loren did not know this. Ozzie did. I hang up beaten down, depressed, and simply sad that Yet Another Treo 650 has the same horrible problem right out of the box with no one in your organization able to figure out why a SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLAR PHONE can't work. I can only hope that the CEO is involved (or gets implicated) in some sort of WorldComm/Enron-like stock scam and I'm on the jury that sends him to Federal Penitentiary. Then, possibly, I might come to the conclusion that there is actually some justice for the pain and suffering the 650 (and really, the THREE 270s previously) have given me.
    This is indicative of how P1 is in deep trouble. When they start getting volumes of inferior product out there in Europe and Asia, they are going to be overwelmed with support problems. P1 has to be out of their minds shipping the 650 in its current state with all of the sw and hw problems to these new carriers that they are signing up without buttoning down all of the problems with the Sprint user base is their test-bed. It's crazy. You wonder if middle management is shielding their execs from all of the problems or if they have such a push for revenue at all costs, that they are prepared to live with all of the backlash that is going to occur when they launch this product into other markets. Trecentral and the other boards are going to be bombarded!
    Last edited by SofTTware; 03/18/2005 at 11:53 AM.