1.    #1  
    I now have an unlocked Treo 600 from ebay. I'd like to activate it on Cingular, but they don't sell SIM cards. What do I do?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    according to Cingular, if you didn't buy it from them, then you'll have to buy a new one from them. The only phones they let you use are ones bought from them. They wouldn't even let me use my ATT Treo with them. And since they were so interested in keeping my business, i went to T-Mobile who let me use my existing Treo. I suggest you look somewhere other than Cingular. It seems that in their merger the only thing that happened is that took over all the bad qualities of ATT. Have you tried calling their "customer service" number, you're lucky if your wait is under 20 mins.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    If you're interested in staying with Cingular, ask for one of their free phones (if you're a returning customer whose contract is almost up, they'll give you one quick). It doesn't matter if it's a good one, you're only interested in the SIM card.

Activated the SIM card on the cheap-o they give you, and then just transfer the card to your Treo. Now you have your Treo on Cingular, and you also have a cheap back-up in case you need it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amrcanpoet
    If you're interested in staying with Cingular, ask for one of their free phones (if you're a returning customer whose contract is almost up, they'll give you one quick). It doesn't matter if it's a good one, you're only interested in the SIM card.

Activated the SIM card on the cheap-o they give you, and then just transfer the card to your Treo. Now you have your Treo on Cingular, and you also have a cheap back-up in case you need it.
    Thank you! This is very helpful. I'm not on Cingular yet. I sniffed some more on their website. Is it true that:
    1. a GoPhone wouldn't work, because you can't add MediaNet to that, and I need MediaNet.
    2. any Cingular SIM card should work fine.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Those GoPhones are bottom of the barrel quality. You're better off getting a brand new free phone since you said your a new customer. Add the Media plan of your choice, get out with a working phone, drop the SIM card into your Treo and you're set. My current sim card has gone from Treo 600 to Siemens S56 to Samsung "cheapo" to Siemens SX66 to Treo 650 (actually back and forth now with my SX66). All my services (including data) have followed my SIM card, not my phone.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Those GoPhones are bottom of the barrel quality. You're better off getting a brand new free phone since you said your a new customer. Add the Media plan of your choice, get out with a working phone, drop the SIM card into your Treo and you're set. My current sim card has gone from Treo 600 to Siemens S56 to Samsung "cheapo" to Siemens SX66 to Treo 650 (actually back and forth now with my SX66). All my services (including data) have followed my SIM card, not my phone.
    Right, I was going to throw the GoPhone in the garbage. I just want the SIM card. GoPhone is attractive because of no contract. But, it defeats the purpose if I cannot add the Media plan, which I fear is the case.
  7. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kattanm
    Right, I was going to throw the GoPhone in the garbage. I just want the SIM card. GoPhone is attractive because of no contract. But, it defeats the purpose if I cannot add the Media plan, which I fear is the case.
    Since you will have to sign a contract you may as well get a good phone out of the deal.

Check out these bargains on Amazon:

amazon cell phones

They actually PAY you after rebates. The Nokia 6230 is a great phone. I recently sold a one month old Cingular 6230 on eBay for $200 to make way for my 650. Good luck.
    Hmmm... When I switched from T-Mo to Cingular, I said that I already had a phone. They got my a SIM card, I popped it into my Treo, and I'm a happy Cingular customer ever since.

I'd try again at a Cingular store and see if they will sign you up and give you a SIM card. I know it can be done...