1.    #1  
    I was just reading over the press releases for TomTom Mobile 5. I'm impressed.

First, for those of you worried about buying TomTom 2004, they announce that the upgrade will be available for free to all existing TomTom users.

Second, the interesting part of it is the TomTom PLUS service. It's already available on their web site (though not activated for the US) so I was playing around with it. Looks like it's a subscription service allowing them to sell ongoing subscriptions to existing customers.

1. They update maps.

2. It appears that it will download traffic over your mobile connection, and automatically reroute you around traffic incidents.

This is why I didn't buy the in-car nav system; I can get updates like this on my Treo as they come out. If traffic works as advertised, I'll be a subscriber on day 1.
    I was also curious about this product but wondered about its use here in the US for the T650:

1. It appeared that the only plans for release thus far was in Europe
    2. It appears to be geared toward smartphones (like MS Mobile, etc.), not necessarily the PDA market (the T650 usually fits more in this category.

Any thoughts? I too would love it if this product would be available with the T650...
    The software upgrade is free (if you buy the current TomTom), but is the GPS receiver the same? It looks different to me. If it is a better receiver than I want to wait...but I don't know if there is any difference. Does anyone?
    [QUOTE=acousticbiker] It appears to be geared toward smartphones (like MS Mobile, etc.), not necessarily the PDA market (the T650 usually fits more in this category.[QUOTE]

The website indicates that TomTom Navigator 5 will support the 650 and offer TOMTOM Plus service (including live traffic updates). See http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=78&Language=4 The compatibility indicates USA.

Here's a review of TomTom Navigator 5 from someone at CeBIT... http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtom-navigator-pda-5.php

One huge improvement not detailed in the review is the use of the SiRFstar III chipset in the bluetooth gps... far more sensitive than the old SiRFstar II still out there on the market.
    Will it only come pre-installed on an SD card? Will I be able to move it to a larger card shared with other applications. I do not want to lose access to files/programs stored on my SD card to run TomTom. I don't want to have to carry around multiple cards.

If so that's definately a step backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    Will it only come pre-installed on an SD card? Will I be able to move it to a larger card shared with other applications. I do not want to lose access to files/programs stored on my SD card to run TomTom. I don't want to have to carry around multiple cards.

If so that's definately a step backwards.
    It appears that may (by no means certain) apply to some European countries. Even then the info thus far isn't clear. Nevertheless, I highly doubt that a USA version would be marketed in this fashion since a whole map of the USA on a card would be cost prohibitive (it would require a large card, might as well use a couple CDs).
    Actually, there will be 2 versions of Tomtom 5.

TomTom will launch TomTom Navigator 5 (for PDA) AND TomTom Mobile 5 (for smartphone) ; the Treo 650 is listed as compatible with both !

There will of course be small differences between the software packages. The Mobile 5 version for instance can pickup a call without resetting your displayed route. I also think the screen layout will be slightly different because most 'ordinary' smartphones have a very small display.
    Commenting on above..

- The entire USA would fit on a 1gb card so that might add $40-$50 to the price.

- The current version does not "reset the route" when I get a call. It does exit Navigator, but after the call I re-enter TT exactly where it left off.
    @CWBaker, does it re-enter TT itself after a call ? That might be the difference then with the current European version.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Ah! this would be great if it was all on an SD card!
    All the required software is supplied pre-installed on the SD Memory Card. As soon as you insert this into your Palm or Pocket PC the installation will auto-run and you will be ready to use the application in seconds. No need for access to a PC to perform the installation here!

Hopefully with a few dozen megs left over to copy, and discs to reinstall.
    Hey this thing looks pretty cool. Some cool new things in it for us:
    -Being able to plan an itinerary on it is better.
    -compass
    -Route selection (fastest, shortest, avoid tolls, etc).
    -Traffic
    -Downloads..

Cool...

I can't wait.. now if the maps are as good as my Garmin this thing will be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by ztupid
    @CWBaker, does it re-enter TT itself after a call ? That might be the difference then with the current European version.
    No it does not re-enter TT. I have the side button setup to launch TT, so after a call I hit that and I am right back in the running.

I have also heard you can lauch TT while *on* a call and it will function normally except for the voice prompts. Haven't tried that one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Ah! this would be great if it was all on an SD card!
    All the required software is supplied pre-installed on the SD Memory Card. As soon as you insert this into your Palm or Pocket PC the installation will auto-run and you will be ready to use the application in seconds. No need for access to a PC to perform the installation here!

Hopefully with a few dozen megs left over to copy, and discs to reinstall.
    I'd need at least a few *hundred* megs left over, as I like to listen to Pocket Tunes while in TT. I do not want to ever carry more than one card.

While the install requires a PC and can take a bit of time, you only need to do it once. If you add maps later you can use the option to copy them directly to the card.
    Any ideas on a release date for this - I just (a week ago) purchased the 2004 version - sounds like the software update will be free but any advice on returning this if the actual GPS unit is different?
    I have a bluetooth gps and would like to buy mapping software in the next few days. what is the best program to buy and the cheapest place to get it.
    I am really really interested in buying the Tom Tom Navigator 5, does anybody know what the release date of this product.
    Wow, so i can be on the phone and it will still navigate? That is why i have the ique right now seperate from my 650. I'm always on the phone while in the car.

I thought when on the phone it stops navigating.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'm real curious how they would implement traffic in the US..It's easy in Euro as they broadcast it over a radio channel..but here it's only avail on XM sat.....
    in southern california there's www.sigalert.com maybe they are going to work with them?