1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600 that is about as stable as can be. I use BackupMan for automated daily backups and it has worked great when full restores are needed.

I am now looking into getting a 650. Can I do BackupMan restore to transfer all my data & apps from the 600 to the 650? Will this work as one would hope it would (in an ideal world)?

First and foremost, I want my adress book & IM chat threads transferred AS IS. But I'd like as many settings and applications to make the transition as well.

If BackupMan is not the way to go about doing this, is there another/better way?

Thanks! I've been a long time reader, but first time poster.
    Your best bet is to follow the palmOne guide to upgrading from another Palm. See this link http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(14403)
    Zane
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Your best bet is to follow the palmOne guide to upgrading from another Palm. See this link http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(14403)
    Zane
    Thanks for the link. That answers a lot of my questions.

But I'm still not totally clear on whether or not the IM Chat threads will make the jump.

I love how the Treo saves the full history of IM exchanges in a seperate thread for each person. Will these threads survive?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    Thanks for the link. That answers a lot of my questions.

But I'm still not totally clear on whether or not the IM Chat threads will make the jump.

I love how the Treo saves the full history of IM exchanges in a seperate thread for each person. Will these threads survive?
    Sorry for the incorrect terminology, I did not mean IM threads. I meant to ask about SMS text message threads from the SMS application (included with the 600). Not a third party IM program.

I have a lot of history saved up in my SMS, is there a way to get these threads transferred to a 650 so that A) I will be able to access all the old text messages on the 650, and B) I can continue conversations in those SMS threads on the 650?

Thanks, and sorry for any confuston.
    Afraid to say you will not be able to transfer the SMS messages... You will be able to beam some stuff, like contacts and calendar events if they did not transfer when you hotsynced. Backupman is not great with the 650, and even with the upgraded version from bitsnbolts I could not get it to perform a backup restore without crashing at certain files, and it would not backup the calendar details which was a pain... I have gone over to backupbuddyVFSpro which does the buisiness but none of these will backup pictures/movies so beware of storing them on the handheld as you might lose them.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scudder
    Afraid to say you will not be able to transfer the SMS messages... You will be able to beam some stuff, like contacts and calendar events if they did not transfer when you hotsynced. Backupman is not great with the 650, and even with the upgraded version from bitsnbolts I could not get it to perform a backup restore without crashing at certain files, and it would not backup the calendar details which was a pain... I have gone over to backupbuddyVFSpro which does the buisiness but none of these will backup pictures/movies so beware of storing them on the handheld as you might lose them.
    Can I back up & transfer the SMS with backupbuddyVFSpro?

If not, does anyone know if there is some way to export the SMS threads so I can archive them for future reference?