1.    #1  
    I just installed SprintPCS Business Connection Personal Edition on my 650. I have it set to push mail to me from my Exchange connected desktop at work. Often it doesn't notify me on my treo for along time (5 minutes or more). Is there something I'm not doing right?

The client is running on my desktop computer at work. I'm using my laptop at home and my treo. Laptop gets messages quickly using Outlook and RPC over HTTP. Treo takes a good long while most of the time.

Thanks
    that's pretty typical. sometimes mine syncs within 30 seconds and sometimes it takes quite a bit longer. much depends on if your using the device. that seems to postpone most syncs. but even if not, you can have up to a 7 minute delay from what I've been told.
    btw, how long do your syncs take? some of mine take 10 seconds but some take a minute even without a large quantity of emails.
  3.    #3  
    "how long do your syncs take? some of mine take 10 seconds but some take a minute even without a large quantity of emails."

I'll actually time them now. Also when I delete a message on my Treo shouldn't it delete the message from my Exchange account also? I still see them in outlook. I couldn't find much documentation on Personal Edition. Only a two page quick start. Where cab I find more info?
    yeah, it should delete them there too. I don't even know where a setting is to change that. I think there is a pdf on the biz conn website but I don't know the link off hand. if I can find it i'll post it. sorry I wasn't much help.
    If you drop your network connection because you went into a tunnel or subway do you still get emails when you come out. It seems like mine will never send an email unless I sync manually after I drop a connection?
    The SMS that BC sends will initiate a new data session if vision has dropped.

In regards to all of this; all examples of why we need true push email. BC is okay- but as we are all experiencing far from perfect.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    In case people don't know, BC works by sending an SMS to your phone when you get a new email. Then BC will do a sync. The SMS can be instant, take minutes, or more (hours, days). It's all dependent on the system and how quickly SMSs are getting whipped around. It's a lot better now than it was in the past, that's for sure.
    It sends a SMS? really? I'm guessing this is behind the scenes as obviously none of these show up within messaging... I thought the "sync" (and thus the frequency of your new emails) was driven by the device's schedule (Settings->Preferences->Schedule). No?
    Quote Originally Posted by dw333
    It sends a SMS? really? I'm guessing this is behind the scenes as obviously none of these show up within messaging... I thought the "sync" (and thus the frequency of your new emails) was driven by the device's schedule (Settings->Preferences->Schedule). No?
    No. You can disable the "push" functionality and set it to sync only on a schedule, but if "push" is enabled, whenever the client "sees" new mail, it will send a hidden SMS to the phone which then initiates the sync.
    Ah.... so if both are enabled the push wins and scheduling a sync is really just for outgoing mail under "send later"? Otherwise, I can't see a need to schedule syncs (with push enabled).
    That's probably fair to say. Though I suspect if you have scheduled a sync, with "push" enabled, even if there is no outgoing mail to send, the phone will sync only to find there is no mail.

If you don't get a lot of mail, it may not be a bad idea to sceduled a sync occassionally anyway. When I was using Business Connection there were times when mail would arrive and the server, but for whatever reason it never was pushed to the phone. When another message would arrive I would usually get both so it was never a big problem, but if you don't get mail frequently and what you do get is important and time sensitive, scheduling syncs might be a good safeguard.
    All of this is pretty good info on how it works. Keep in mind that if your device is off and the Push tries to send you that SMS which triggers the sync and fails 4 times then you will go into a "suppressed state". This means no more pushes will be sent until you manually sync or a scheduled sync occurs which will reset this condition.

Why do they do this? Glad you asked MobileGhost.... This helps prevent the system from sending out erroneous SMS's when there is no answer which ties up resources all along the path. Also it prevents users from getting erroneous SMS messages that may have inherited the phone number of a previous Business Connection user. In this case the user will see the SMS's exposed and they look like encrypted garble...

//SVAglBMQBAAOhn ... etc for 3 lines =//VS

as this is what the BC client on the device intercepts when it is there. So if you are having problems with Vision dropping or your device is off for a while you should always do a manual sync to help reset your possible suppressed state.
    Last edited by MobileGhost; 03/17/2005 at 05:54 PM.
    Thanks MG. That's helpful.
    Definitely it should be deleting it on the Exchange side as well. I spend 10 minutes every morning clearing out the junk email from my device on the way to work and then when I get to my desk my Outlook is clean and ready for work.

What Exchange version are you using and what Outlook client is installed on your desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    "how long do your syncs take? some of mine take 10 seconds but some take a minute even without a large quantity of emails."

I'll actually time them now. Also when I delete a message on my Treo shouldn't it delete the message from my Exchange account also? I still see them in outlook. I couldn't find much documentation on Personal Edition. Only a two page quick start. Where cab I find more info?