1.    #1  
    Is there a Wi-Fi card that is known to work with the Treo 650? One of my needs is to check email while in Japan. The phone is worthless for that. However there are more and more Wi-Fi connections becoming available. It's a bit of a nuissance to lug a laptop around trying to find Wi-Fi connections. But the Treo would be perfect, if I could find a Wi-Fi that didn't depend on the phone.

I'd like to simply turn off my phone and use the PDA with Wi-Fi, while in Japan. Last time I used a laptop but it was a bit of a pain.

Anyone found any such Wi-Fi possibility for the Treo 650 yet?
  2. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    There is a hack for the Sprint version that will allow you to use the PalmOne WiFi card designed for the Tungsten. No such hack exists for the GSM version.

Next time you may want to try the search function first. The Wifi thread where Shadowman developed the hack for the Sprint version is probably the biggest most significant thread on this forum.
    the treo phone function will NOT work in Japan
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    There is a hack for the Sprint version that will allow you to use the PalmOne WiFi card designed for the Tungsten. No such hack exists for the GSM version.

Next time you may want to try the search function first. The Wifi thread where Shadowman developed the hack for the Sprint version is probably the biggest most significant thread on this forum.
    Likely, he won't find anything posted by "Shadowman."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What about the Wi-Fi sled? Who knows if and when it may be available though.
  6.    #6  
    the treo phone function will NOT work in Japan
    Duh! Didn't I say that when I said "the phone is worthless". Besides I said I wanted to turn "off" the phone and use the "PDA". The phone isn't necessary for wireless, if and when it exists.

I've been to Japan many times and am well aware that U.S. phones don't work there. But Wi-Fi is available there, in many cities.

I guess I could just get a Tungsten (or other brand) with built-in Wi-Fi but if the Treo could do it that would save having to take one extra device.
  7. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Likely, he won't find anything posted by "Shadowman."
    Whoops my bad but you get the idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    What about the Wi-Fi sled? Who knows if and when it may be available though.

That would be nice... I wonder what the ETA on that is though?...

Anyway, right now the only options are the forthcoming enfora wifi sled, shadowmite's hacked wifi drivers and or something like a BT-to-wifi gateway from possio...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    As far as I know , the hack is not only for Sprint version.
    But; no gsm user has reported the hack running yet...
    the treocentral store already has the Treo 600 wifi sled listed in their catalog...and enfora has more on their website...somewhat

https://www.enfora.com/downloads/spe...501-prelim.pdf
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    says its compatible with 600 AND 650 at this enfora pdf ...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    That would be nice... I wonder what the ETA on that is though?...

Anyway, right now the only options are the forthcoming enfora wifi sled, shadowmite's hacked wifi drivers and or something like a BT-to-wifi gateway from possio...

Hi guys,

I talked to a rep on the CeBit on Saturday. There will be a sled, she said. It should arrive in the beginning of april. Included battery and about 8 hours of use. The charger will charge the Treo if it is in the sled.
    It should be slightly smaller than the one for the Treo 600. Treocentral already preordered apparently. In the beginning it will only support WEP.

I start to like it. Normally I do not like sleds, but the battery and the use of the SD card are big pros.

BTW, a SanDisk rep told me that probably there will never be PalmOS drivers for the SanDisk WiFi-SD card. More than 256MB on the WiFi card are probably not planned either. They claim the demand is too low with increasingly many devices with build-in WiFi.
    Business Case for the Treo 650?
    - Cam-Phone, PDA, MP3 player, GPS navigation, Remote Control for my Home Entertainment (TVedia), VoIP-Phone, USB Stick
    cyber its true, however what of course will be different is the head...same "model" different connector