1.    #1  
    I bought a sony cassette car adapter...I know it is stereo as indicate by the two lines on the plug...but for some reason...sound is only going out of my left speaker....anyone know why? Thanks.
    It's another dumb PalmOne design decision. In order to save a buck or two, the headset out has only 3 contacts instead of the usual 4. (the usual 4 are ground, left, right, and microphone). The Treo combines one of the stereo channels and the microphone into the same contact. How does it know which one to use? Basically, it measures the electrical properties of what's connected to it. Cheap headphones have low impedance so it outputs stereo, headsets have high impedance so it switches to mono+microphone mode.

The problem is that adapters like yours, or high-end amplified headphones also have high impedance, so the Treo screws and outputs mono.

This has been covered before, see:

See
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=432131
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ad.php?t=47852
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I thought the 650 had four contacts. Isn't the problem that he needs a four conducter to three conductor adapater? I'm only guessing, cause I don't have a 650
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I picked up a Radio Shack cassette adapter and have not encountered this problem. I've used another off-brand as well. I have used this through a 2.5 - 3.5 mm adapter and I recently replaced the 3.5 mm plug with a 2.5 mm plug. Stereo has always worked fine.

Make sure the plug is going far enough into the Treo jack. You may have to trim a little of the plastic off the plug (if applicable)...or simply try a different brand.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I am using Sony cassette adapter and I have no problem at all.
  6.    #6  
    Hmmmm...I should also explain that I am not using the standard P1 adapter....I am using the Seido 2 in 1 Stereo Adapter...that lets you plug in your own headphones....and instead of headphones I plugged in the Car adapter so my setup is

Treo 650 -> seido 2 in 1 - > Car Adapter

Could this be the issue?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    It might be, since I am using the same sony adapter with the standard P1 adapter with no problem.
    I run into the same problem using headphones or the car adapter it comes through mono. Strange thing is once I do a soft reset back to stereo.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    DrWOwe is correct mine is stereo through headphones but through the car adapter it is mono. It used to work stereo through the car adapter as well. I don't know what happened. I am using the treo adapter and a sony cassette adapter. Does anyone who has it working now the manufacturer and model number of the cassette adapter that works?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    I run into the same problem using headphones or the car adapter it comes through mono. Strange thing is once I do a soft reset back to stereo.
    Slightly drifting the thread... I haven't used a cassette adapter, but I have noticed that various audio problems I've had can be fixed with a soft reset. For instance, after using TomTom's moving map, talking GPS software I have to do a soft reset before using PocketTunes. If I don't, then I hear popping sounds.

I've tested a couple of high-end headphones with the Seidio adapter and they all produce stereo.

--Bill
    I use the Sedio 2-1 adapter with my cassette adapter and everything works fine. In fact, using that combination has stopped VoiceDial from "Say a Command".
    i would try the same cassette adapter with a different audio device, or using the same set up in a different car. i found that sometimes the cassette adapter did not seat well in the deck of my vw, and i had to stick my fingers in and push it down a bit. then it worked fine.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    Back in a Treo 600 thread about the same car adapter topic, somebody had recommended a solution that has worked great for me. I picked up an in-line stereo headset volume control from Radio Shack (about 12" long and about $6) and hooked it in between the headset adapter and the cassette adapter. The in-line volume control changed the impedence enough to get the phone to recognize the cassette adapter as a stereo output. The original post had mentioned changing the volume until it worked, but I found it to work at all settings.

Sorry I don't remember who to credit for that post.

Radio Shack Adapter
    You know, while I was driving around yesterday I found myself wondering: would it be so hard to manufacture a car stereo with inputs, for heaven's sake? Maybe a minijack, and maybe also a USB port? I assume these must exist, has anyone ever seen or used one?
    You know I had this issue with certain songs using a specific version of Pocket Tunes that I can no longer remember. I simply moved the balance slider all the way to one side and it then came out both speakers. Weird. It may have been the WMA plugin.
    <br>