Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone had any luck running CJKOS on their Treo 650? One of my users needed this loaded on their Treo and the unit is VERY unstable and i suspect this software. The other software that was needed for the user was Pen Power...any ideas would help

    -Skippy
  2. #2  
    I have been running CJKOS 4.62 that came with the Hong Kong retail version of the Treo 650 for about three weeks now. My Treo is pretty stable and I never had any problems caused by CJKOS. Are you sure this user is using the latest 4.62 release of CJKOS?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    Has anyone had any luck running CJKOS on their Treo 650? One of my users needed this loaded on their Treo and the unit is VERY unstable and i suspect this software. The other software that was needed for the user was Pen Power...any ideas would help

    -Skippy
    I've been using the CJKOS since day one. Heck, it's the very 1st program I installed. Never have I had any issues with it. If I did, I'm not aware of it.

    I can read chinese on the device just fine, emails and web pages.
  4. #4  
    Using 4.61 now and is no problem with 650 at all. Except it take a big chunk of memory if you install all CJK fonts. Now beware of low memory on 650. I have about 80 3rd party software on 650 and still have 10MB left. In such setting, I hardly have unstable issue. Also watch out Blazer in your memory and cookies managment.
  5. #5  
    I am curious. How do you type chinese/japanese/korean charcters on the treo since those languages does not use an alphabet. I can see reading is not a problem. But writing it I'd think is possible only with a stylus picking characters out of a menu? Or it it handwriting recognition?



    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae
    I've been using the CJKOS since day one. Heck, it's the very 1st program I installed. Never have I had any issues with it. If I did, I'm not aware of it.

    I can read chinese on the device just fine, emails and web pages.
  6. SteveDu's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I am curious. How do you type chinese/japanese/korean charcters on the treo since those languages does not use an alphabet. I can see reading is not a problem. But writing it I'd think is possible only with a stylus picking characters out of a menu? Or it it handwriting recognition?
    LOL nah, it's like... typing with sound, like how you say it... for example, if I'm gonna type in "Hello" in Chinese and using Pin-Yin input method, I will be call up the PY input and type in "NiHao" and wala, phrase plus selection. PenPower would be just write it out directly lol.

    BTW running 4.62 here, it's stable... maybe the PenPower?
  7. #7  
    I see! I would have never thought that's the way it's done. So you really need to know English pronunciation and the alphabet in order to input asian characters.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I am curious. How do you type chinese/japanese/korean charcters on the treo since those languages does not use an alphabet. I can see reading is not a problem. But writing it I'd think is possible only with a stylus picking characters out of a menu? Or it it handwriting recognition?
    LOL, there are 1/5 of the people in the world use Chinese as native language. there are over a dozen of input methods input Chinese in a computer or handheld device. PY is one of them
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by proxidicae
    I've been using the CJKOS since day one. Heck, it's the very 1st program I installed. Never have I had any issues with it. If I did, I'm not aware of it.

    I can read chinese on the device just fine, emails and web pages.
    I have to change my font size to a larger one in order to not get garbage on some SMS, do you have the same problem?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I am curious. How do you type chinese/japanese/korean charcters on the treo since those languages does not use an alphabet. I can see reading is not a problem. But writing it I'd think is possible only with a stylus picking characters out of a menu? Or it it handwriting recognition?
    I'm no good with Pin-Yin method since I never know what's the "official" way to spell something. I'm originally from Taiwan, so I use the Zu-Yin method. I pick the phonics which would create the word in the palm keyboard. Not too bad once u've learned. I've seen other chinese input programs which use handwriting recognition on the palm tho, but it helps if I remember how to write all the words, lol.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmy
    I have to change my font size to a larger one in order to not get garbage on some SMS, do you have the same problem?
    I got both small and large fonts installed, and I've never had any garbage issues, none that I can recall anyhow.

    I don't use SMS, however, so i'm prolly not the best person to ask. People in the US don't seem to use SMS much, prolly too costly.

    Sorry.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you for everyone's input. I will double check the verson. It makes it hard to fix anything as i'm in the US and the user spends most of his time over in Hong Kong.
  13. akai's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    Thank you for everyone's input. I will double check the verson. It makes it hard to fix anything as i'm in the US and the user spends most of his time over in Hong Kong.
    have you use the translation(localizer) function of the CJKos?
    Maybe all of the guys in this thread using cjkos do disable this function of cjkos.
  14. #14  
    I'm also using CJKOS 4.61. I put most of the fonts on the expansion card, and I don't have any problems (although one app I use seems to choose the ugliest font no matter what I do). SMS messages in chinese look great. I use the PinYin IME, but I haven't localized the palm, so all CJKOS does for me is render GB text into characters and provide the IME.

    -coljac
  15. #15  
    Is there anything that would support iso-2022-jp in snappermail? It seems that the two I found doesn't support iso-2022-jp or snappermail.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetMetro
    Using 4.61 now and is no problem with 650 at all. Except it take a big chunk of memory if you install all CJK fonts. Now beware of low memory on 650. I have about 80 3rd party software on 650 and still have 10MB left. In such setting, I hardly have unstable issue. Also watch out Blazer in your memory and cookies managment.
    I installed V4.621 today on 650 resulted with 2 new icons/programs CJKOS and CJManager. But Blazer still displays unrecogized characters (sina.com/cn, ettoday.com). I checked every possible settings and reset 650.

    Please help. Thanks.
  17. #17  
    I have been running CJKOS 4.62 and Penpower on my 650 for about 2 months with no problems. I get Chinese in every application I want including Blazer. I use Pin Yin and handwriting to input characters. Lived in Taiwan about 13 years ago and can dig some Zhuyin out of my feeble memory now and then when I want to input traditional characters. My 650 has been very stable since shortly after I got it and sorted out my software. Just updated to 1.28 and still seems very stable.
  18. #18  
    By the way, CJManager lets you move some of the CJKOS files to the SD card but I found one program that didn't like that (don't remember which) so left everything in RAM.
  19. #19  
    jgm - Please help me to get this working. I have Treo 650 w Palm OS Garnet v5.4.5, FW 01.04, Blazer v4.0.

    The Blazer won't display Chinese char. Using Memo I can input/display Chinese. But a Memo in Chinese characters created in Outlook, after hot sync, it displays '???" on Treo Memo.

    Can you share the settings in CJKOS and Blazer settings?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric
    jgm - Please help me to get this working. I have Treo 650 w Palm OS Garnet v5.4.5, FW 01.04, Blazer v4.0.

    The Blazer won't display Chinese char. Using Memo I can input/display Chinese. But a Memo in Chinese characters created in Outlook, after hot sync, it displays '???" on Treo Memo.

    Can you share the settings in CJKOS and Blazer settings?
    The following is what I have done step by step:

    Starting with installation:

    1) top right corner select English language

    On main program tab:
    2) check CJKOS main program, GB2312<>Big5 convert table, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese (I installed CJKOS manager on the SD card and it runs fine from there, however after one program having a bit of problem if the fonts were on the SD card I moved everything back to RAM)

    On font tab:
    3) checked high-res fonts 16x16 & 24x24 simplified and traditional

    On input method tab
    4) checked Pin Yin and symbol for simplified & Zhu Yin, Pin Yin and symbol for traditional

    On phrase tab:
    5) checked simplified and traditional
    On localizer tab:

    6) unchecked simplified and traditional

    On Treo (preferences/CJKOS):

    On CJKOS tab
    7) checked enable CJKOS, smart detect character set, support CJK boldfont and support CJK large boldfont
    8) char set = Chinese GB, display = Auto

    On enhance tab:
    9) checked Add Horizontal Spacing in CJK, Enhance Wordwrap, Enhance Font Select Dialog and Fix Messy Display and Align

    On input tab:
    10) enable CJK keyboard (including ABC & 123), Seek at once, Auto send, Phrase input, Show hint, Phrase association, Smart prioritize word and Phrase
    11) input method = 全拼, lookup = none

    I hope this helps. Are you running any other apps that might mess around with fonts and somehow over ride the Chinese fonts? Are you running any other apps that are on all the time in the background? I only have AltKey, Powerup, PalmPuke and Plecodict has an instant access function.

    I am using Palm Desktop and not syncing to Outlook. Windows defualt input is Unicode and CJKOS doesn't support that (yet?) so you might have to change your unput to GB2312 or Big5 when you are writing things that will get synced onto the Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions