1.    #1  
    I have been experimenting with Handbrake and QT Pro. I used it yesterday and still haven't come up with an acceptable size on the video. I am creating files with Handbrake with no problem.

A couple of questions though, when you're in Handbrake:
    General:
    Output format: Do you pick AVI file / MPEG-4 / MP3 audio or
    AVI file / H264 video / MP3 audio or
    MP4 file / MPEG-4 / AAC audio

Video:
    MPEG-4 encoder: FFmpeg or
    XviD

Bitrate (which is where I'm probably messing up): 1024 kbps

Do you check 2-pass encoding?

Audio:
    I selected 56 kbps

It's the QTPro settings that I haven't got down yet. I'm up to Cinepack compression and dropped the data rate in video settings down to 40 KB/sec, frame rate 15 and keyframe every 24 and my movie is 743 MB It just finished exporting and it's way too big. I've got to get back to the multimedia boards with my settings to find out why my files are too big. My earlier attempts yielded warnings that the bitrate was too high, so I've been coming down gradually.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Try a datarate of 200 or so. I assume you're rescaling to 320 size as well?
    You mention Cinepack but that's different than MPEG-4 or Xvid.
    Someone drafted up a guide on this

http://discussion.treocentral.com/a...tachmentid=5645

Unless you have kinoma or mmplayer, you'll have to output a 3GP to be played in the Treo video player. The video conversion to 3GP can be in MPEG4. But, you cannot play AAC on the treo without kinoma, so leave the audio in MP3. Rescaling the image to 320 will also reduce your file size.

Personally, I've tried the quicktime pro 3GP method for the internal Treo player as well as the kinoma method playing true MPEG4 and AAC sound. There is no comparison. True MPEG4 and AAC sound is far superior to the quality of 3GP. If your going to go through all that effort, might as well get the best results... just my $.02.
    Last edited by Katway; 03/16/2005 at 06:45 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Personally, I've tried the quicktime pro 3GP method for the internal Treo player as well as the kinoma method playing true MPEG4 and AAC sound. There is no comparison. True MPEG4 and AAC sound is far superior to the quality of 3GP. If your going to go through all that effort, might as well get the best results... just my $.02.
    So you think I should pay the $50 for Kinoma player and producer?! It's that much better?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    So you think I should pay the $50 for Kinoma player and producer?! It's that much better?
    Try the 3GP on the Treo player and see if it is good enough for you. IMO, Kinoma is worth it for better quality and ease of use. I like to play DVD movies while traveling, so upgrades in quality are noticable and well worth it to me.

There used to be a coupon for $5 off Kinoma... I believe the coupon code was "treonaut5" or "treocentral5". I'm not sure if the coupons are still valid.