Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This handset cannot touch the TREO!!

Venting after testing the PPC6600 at work this past week...

*** Um, we don't like the Treo 650 camera? Well even though the PPC6600 has a camera & flash it is horrible... Always bright, and even when you adjust the brightness. Oh, lets take a 3min (on my 2gig ultra-II SD card) video on the PPC6600? HA-HA, sorry you cannot! Since there is no video option!

Data rates using PCS Vision are a tad slower on the PPC6600... Screen resolution on Website graphics BlowS!!
    I mean this, have you taken a Video on a Toshiba Vision video phone?
    Then it plays back in mini blocked resolution? WELCOME TO AUDIOVOX!

The cool thing of making the screen turn into wide angle mode is pretty neat. Once this mode is on...
    Then I load TREOCENTRAL.COM...
    ** Go to Forums...
    Then I find a avatar that is a GIF animation... WHAT?
    IT CANNOT view animated icons!?!?!?!

Then you load up a Video and play it on the handset using your SD card...
    This video perhaps is in .AVI format...
    Um, you might as well play the same format using the Palm default video player... Cause the quality is so choppy and sound is nothing but crackles... Tried three of them...

Then I play the same file using MMplayer... HAHA works like a champ!!

Our screen seem's so much clearer then the PPC very disapointed!

Anyway I was so shocked I had to vent... Sorry if this fumes those who own the PPC... But I just like my "hoe-hum" Treo 650 even more now!

Take Care everyone...
    -Jim
    Last edited by spoolenTreo; 03/15/2005 at 12:41 AM. Reason: pda
    Besides the screen you're only comparing bult-in apps with high performance 3rd party apps on Palm OS, don't go there on the PPC side, the 3rd party apps WILL blow away the 3rd party apps on Palm OS ...Palm OS doesn't even multitask... Don't go there..
    Last edited by SoufSidah09; 03/15/2005 at 02:14 AM.
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    LOL. That's all I wanna say.
    for avi files on PPC, you need to play it on betaplayer
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Just 2 words: "battery life"

It's a deal killer for me with all PocketPCs.

The Treo is pretty good, but I still kinda miss my Kyocera 6035. Sometimes I went 2 weeks between charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    Just 2 words: "battery life"

It's a deal killer for me with all PocketPCs.

The Treo is pretty good, but I still kinda miss my Kyocera 6035. Sometimes I went 2 weeks between charges.
    Buy the upgraded battery (it doesn't increase the size of the phone at all) and you get more battery life than the Treo600/650. I am getting around 8-9 hours TALK TIME with the extended battery.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Right, then you spend 10 minutes doing memory management with the stupid Settings --> Memory --> Stop task dance. Well, then the Treo 650 has issues with heap memory… we could all go on and on, but he's right: the Treo 650 sucks less.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I own both. They are both good. Can't decide which to keep as I don't think owning two high dollar devices is necessary. (I just paid 79 for my treo though). Still, I'll probably sell one on ebay.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Have you tried the PPC6600 in landscape mode. I think the way web pages look in landscape mode look a lot better than the 650's
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Right, then you spend 10 minutes doing memory management with the stupid Settings --> Memory --> Stop task dance. Well, then the Treo 650 has issues with heap memory… we could all go on and on, but he's right: the Treo 650 sucks less.
    and why would you want to do that, if all you got to do is doing whatever treo 650 can do? Are you running advance emulator, graphical game or playing full length movie?

Palmie heads tend to do the weirdest thing for no reason at all, just because they can, then complain about the fact they are doing it.
    can you bbuy 3rd party camcorder app?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    for avi files on PPC, you need to play it on betaplayer
    I am pretty sure it's .avi from Kinoma. That explain just about anything.
    I'm surprised there is no talk about the keyboards. I used the SX66 between the Treo 600 and 650 and can honestly say that IMO the keyboard on the XDAIII its derivatives, including the PPC660x was not well thought out. The first dissapointment was HTC's failure to use separate keys like BB's and Treo's use. Covering up the entire keyboard with a laminate sheet is awful. I like the tactile response of the keys on the Treo and BB. I did eventually get used to the keyboard on the SX66 for the most part, but what I never got used to was the damned space bar. Though it "looks" bigger than the other keys on the kayboard, it really isn't. You have to hit the danged thing exactly in the middle or it doesn't work. Other than the keyboard, which was a deal breaker for me, I liked the SX66 and never found the battery life to be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    can you bbuy 3rd party camcorder app?

He is a bit of an *****.
    The PDA2K has built in video recorder. (It's the camcorder icon next to camera icon.) HTC acquired the company that made video player for PPC. They are the very first people who can pull video recording for PDA, way back when...

See screenie here
    http://pocketpcdubai.com/i-mate_PPC/.../iasnap003.gif
    http://pocketpcdubai.com/i-mate_PPC/...iew_page5.html

THere is also a sample video. (Tho' I seriously don't think any sane person will use it on family vacation. video quality is pretty poor compared to stand alone ultra portable DV recorder. But it's there)
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I vote suskind's post: "Biggest Assumptions Evarrr!"

Hey mang, all I (used to run) on my PocketPC was Conduits' PocketArtist and Sky/telescope something or other, which has since been replaced on the Palm side with MobiSystems Paint and Planetarium (and a lot more applications). I'm so glad I came back to the Palm. As I said, the Treo sucks less. Palmie head? How about Microsoft-apologist… I know which dork camp I'd rather be in.

Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    and why would you want to do that, if all you got to do is doing whatever treo 650 can do? Are you running advance emulator, graphical game or playing full length movie?

Palmie heads tend to do the weirdest thing for no reason at all, just because they can, then complain about the fact they are doing it.
    Review of Pocket IE.
    (does it support ani. gif.?)

http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=1408

Moving on to something better, although visually it seems to have been revised minimally, is the Pocket Internet Explorer. First of all, it renders pages better now since it supports CSS. The upgraded HTML and JScript standards certainly helps in accessing websites such as Yahoo! Mail and at least allow to manage the webmail inbox altogether. XHTML support and support for animated GIFs have also been included with the new Pocket Internet Explorer. There have been several reviews on the Pocket Internet Explorer and this by far is the most improved part of the Pocket PC Applications.

--------
    of course this thing is so old nobody even bother checking. What's the hottest thing in PPC browsing lately? Minimo!

It's a port of mozilla. (It's still in Beta, but it's a full feature browser and do all the magic trick its desktop brother does)
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...2f7acea882f2ea
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    I vote suskind's post: "Biggest Assumptions Evarrr!"

Hey mang, all I (used to run) on my PocketPC was Conduits' PocketArtist and Sky/telescope something or other, which has since been replaced on the Palm side with MobiSystems Paint and Planetarium (and a lot more applications). I'm so glad I came back to the Palm. As I said, the Treo sucks less. Palmie head? How about Microsoft-apologist… I know which dork camp I'd rather be in.

Sorry to break it to you, but treo suck.
    Youa re whining about pocket artist?
    1. It doesn't exist in Palm. (no. I am not talking doodle pad, but layer, filter, masking, infinite undo, etc...)
    2. I am not aware pArtist needs that much computing power you need to adjust 'memory'. Not even the geekiest PPC user does that.
    3. If you are so neurotic. Instal task manager. Theya re free and all over the net. They come in all sort of flavors. (too complicated you say? Shall we talk about your DA and workaround then?)

plus 'used to'? is this before or after the birth of roman empire? Or are we talking the last ice age when woolly mammoth roams the eurasia?

gag...
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    of course this thing is so old nobody even bother checking. What's the hottest thing in PPC browsing lately? Minimo!

It's a port of mozilla. (It's still in Beta, but it's a full feature browser and do all the magic trick its desktop brother does)
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...2f7acea882f2ea
    Ack. I think Minimo is awful...at least @320x240. Maybe on a VGA device it may be better, but since most PPC's are still QVGA, it's terrible. Also the only way I can close the program (Toshiba e755) was with a soft reset.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Ack. I think Minimo is awful...at least @320x240. Maybe on a VGA device it may be better, but since most PPC's are still QVGA, it's terrible. Also the only way I can close the program (Toshiba e755) was with a soft reset.

well, it's version 0.00.02. whaddya expect? But it's fast compared to anything outthere short of thunderhawk.
    I vote this "thread most likely to be moved next" by moderators

Todd/Indy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast