Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Why is it that one device has to suck while the other one has to be great. Can't both just be good and different people will like one or the other??

Each has it's good and bad points. It depends on your usage, what you like, what you are comfortable with and what is impoartant to you (one man's negative is anothers positive).

Do many owners of a device feel a deep need to justify their purchase by berating other devices? Is it really that important?
    i guess so-
    when i first got my treo, i thought it was inferior to a pocket pc device software wise and i had no clue how anything worked... after time and help from this board- i figured out how to get the most of my treo... i now have both a ppc and a treo because i know that one does some things better than another but i can get the most of both when used seperately or in conjunction. if you get something expecting to hate it, you will... i think that some people are just more open to try different things...

when i tested out a ppc6600, i was quite impressed. it had 128mb ram, which is great, i found web pages loaded quickly and they were maybe not as well formatted as blazer but definitely legible. the voice dialing software was amazing, it didnt have problems viewing videos with betaplayer and music sounded fine with pocketmusic... WMP worked as well... the built in mail application was fine but webIS mail is a bit more customizable... the only thing the device needed was a better keyboard and a vga screen to be a perfect mix i thought. funny thing is that the co-worker who now uses it full time for the last month also thinks that- he wants a vga screen but he can live without the better keyboard- he used to have a treo 600. the keys on this board are spaced apart farther and for him it's easier to type than on the somewhat cramped treo.
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 03/15/2005 at 02:01 PM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by njchris
    Why is it that one device has to suck while the other one has to be great. Can't both just be good and different people will like one or the other??

Each has it's good and bad points. It depends on your usage, what you like, what you are comfortable with and what is impoartant to you (one man's negative is anothers positive).

Do many owners of a device feel a deep need to justify their purchase by berating other devices? Is it really that important?
    I think someone wrote a song about this topic.

I agree with you chris, but America is divided about so many things so why not ppc vs treo?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Oh my, another Treo v. PPC thread - yummy!

I think I can express my feelings with just one sentence, so here it goes. Two minutes ago I synced my SX66 with my laptop via Bluetooth, then I checked my email on WebIS via wifi, then I continued to use wifi to access my home desktop via LogMeIn (similar to GoToMyPC) and get on this forum to post this message, and now I will log out of my desktop, get on the web here at my office via wifi and my company wireless connection, surf the web on Thunderhawk in landscape mode and find a Bluetooth headset to use with my PPC, then make a few calls via MS Voice Command (an AMAZING app), then maybe sync up my Microsoft Exchange account via wifi, then find some more apps to install in my 128MB of onboard RAM, or my additional 40+ MB of Storage RAM, then use Pocket WMP to listen to some of my music stored on my 1GB SD card that auto-syncs with my laptop WMP, and then I'll call it a day and take a nap and dream about how the Treo 650 is entirely inadequate and yet all those in this forum continue to sing it's lackluster praises and frown upon the superior PPC's! (When I wake up I might surf the net on my PPC via wifi to read about Palm's future work with Microsoft and the probablitiy of a Palm PPC device, just for fun...)
    Moderators.....? Does this belong in the 650 forum?

Dutch, where are you when we need you most?

Todd/Indy
    Ferris??

Anyone???

Anyone???
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    well what is the opinion of the display quality of the 650 vs the 6600? that is how is the image clearness? or which image looks most like a photo? which displays more legible clear text? the resol is slightly better on the treo but is it noticbly that much better? which browser displays the superior image?
    I owned 2 treo 650s and I returned them both and got an xv6600. palm is years behind windows mobile. Flame away, I don't mind. I'll be busy doing stuff you won't be able to do on your goofy little treo for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    then maybe sync up my Microsoft Exchange account via wifi, then find some more apps to install in my 128MB of onboard RAM, or my additional 40+ MB of Storage RAM, then use Pocket WMP to listen to some of my music stored on my 1GB SD card that auto-syncs with my laptop WMP
    the 40+ mb is actually storage rom- similar to a T5's storage. not ram.
    but you still use WMP? i think you should try out pocketmind's pocketmusic- it's a lot better and still has the ability to sync with WMP10 in windows. i actually sync my ppc with musicmatch jukebox actually but its the same protocol
    i do agree that this discussion is better placed in the other hardware forum
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    is anybody able to give a comparison of the display quality of the 650 vs the 6600?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I currently own both the 650 and the Siemens SX66 which is the GSM version of the 6600. The display on the 650 is better than the SX66 as far as quality but obviously not as fasr as size, but the difference is not nearly as marked as the difference between the 650 and the 600. Rating from a 1 to a 10, the 600 is a 3, the SX66 is a 7, and the 650 is a 9.

PS The VGA screen on the HP PPC is a 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Have you tried the PPC6600 in landscape mode. I think the way web pages look in landscape mode look a lot better than the 650's

How so...the screen resolution is lower...just make your fonts smaller on the 650 and you have a larger display resolution on the treo. 6600 = 320 x 240 650 = 320x320.
    WHY is this thread still in the 650 hardware forum when my thread about the Nokia 6620 was moved within an hour or so???

Why???

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    but you still use WMP? i think you should try out pocketmind's pocketmusic- it's a lot better

actually wmp is MUCH better and you don't have to pay 30 bones to stream music.
    I own both an i-mate PDA2K (same as PPC6600) and a Treo 650 and have to agree with ocean18's post about what you can do with the PDA2K. I have been using the PDA2K since October 2004 and love the device. That said, I shelled out over $600 for the Treo 650 because palmOne has done a much better job integrating the thumb keyboard into the OS functionality. I can do just about everything without ever having to pull out the stylus and if I am going to have a device with a thumb keyboard then I want this option. The keyboard on the PDA2K is very nice, but it is only really useful for entering text and cannot control much on the device. I find myself carrying the Treo 650 everywhere with my new Piel Frama case and haven't used my PDA2K for over two weeks.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    Keyboard on the PDA2K is very nice? To each their own I guess. The keyboard on the XDAIII and derivatives reminds me of the keyboards on the old Casio organizers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I currently own both the 650 and the Siemens SX66 which is the GSM version of the 6600. The display on the 650 is better than the SX66 as far as quality but obviously not as fasr as size, but the difference is not nearly as marked as the difference between the 650 and the 600. Rating from a 1 to a 10, the 600 is a 3, the SX66 is a 7, and the 650 is a 9.

This is accurate. Screen on the 650 is better for viewing graphics etc.

Treo also has a much better phone app.

After that things start to tilt in the other direction very quickly.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  18. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    WHY is this thread still in the 650 hardware forum when my thread about the Nokia 6620 was moved within an hour or so???

Why???

Todd/Indy
    Are you still smarting because they moved your thread....
  19. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl

I would agree. I have the HP and I can say that the screen on the Treo is fantastic. It is also very bright (it can double as a flashlight).
    It is all about choices, and I like having choices. Some like Chevy, and some like Ford. Some like pepsi, and some like coke.

We are lucky to have real choices in the smartphone/handheld market. The last thing I want is another Microsoft monopoly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast