1.    #1  
    Don't get me wrong I love Chatteremail by Marc Blanc and I think it is a great application which I myself have paid for but I became fustrated with the fact I had to foward my gmail somewhere else to have access to it at this current time so I set out for another sollution and here is what came up:

Software needed:
    TreoHelper allows for SMS Triggers to trigger application (email check)
    Versamail or Snappermail

1. Using Snappermail I setup my pop3 gmail account.

2. I then created a fastmail.fm account and paid $15 dollars so I had the abillity to foward messages.

3. I set my gmail account to foward all mesages to my fastmail account

4. define a custom rule under options for fastmail similar to below:

#------------------------------------

require ["envelope", "fileinto", "reject", "notify", "vacation", "regex", "relational", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric"];

if true {
    notify :method "mailto" ptions ["##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com"] :message "$from$ / $subject$ / SMSTRIGGERTEXT ";
    discard;
    }
    # ##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com could be email to sms gateway for other carriers
    #SMSTRIGGERTEXT can be whatever expression you want to trigger treohelper
    #------------------------------------

5. now go into treohelper and sms and setup a sms trigger to launch a email application and delete the sms message.

6. Done you now have push email with no persistant data connection draining your battery, I know chatter has this in the newest one but I would still need to use a email server supporting IMAP which was not ideal for my situation as of now. Enjoy

~Jason Rosenzweig
    Thanks! This is an awesome idea!

For UNIX users/mailboxes, try this short procmail snippet:

Code:
    :0f
    * ? echo _NEWMAILTRIGTEXT_ | /usr/bin/mail 8005551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    | tee
    I'm certain it could be done easier, but I'm no procmail expert. Replace _NEWMAILTRIGTEST_ with your trigger text, /usr/bin/mail with the full path to you mail binary, and 8005551212 with your PCS number. Of course, if you're into making procmail rules, this is pretty much obvious.

However, does Sprint eat duplicate SMS messages within a certain period? During testing I noticed that if I sent the same text in a short span, I stopped getting the messages on my 650.

Also, TreoHelper is cool, but needs updating for the 650 .. the alerts don't work (and a few other things I think)
    is this better than just having Versamail check your e-mail every 15 minutes ? I have my versamail just check my gmail account and my Yahoo account every 15 minutes.
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    I found the auto-checking unreliable and it wasted battery to do it every 15 minutes. This way, you only go grab new mail when you have new mail .. and no other time. Unless, of course, you do it yourself
    Marc has implemented an SMS faux trigger method that eliminates the need for other 'launching' programs such as TreoHelper. What I have done is forward all my .mac mail to my Sprint account. The Sprint account notifies the Treo via SMS that mail has arrived. Chatter than checks the .mac account. For a cleanup function I have the mac go back and get the Sprint mail, and delete it after a day from both my .mac server and the Sprint server. Works great. Only issue is Sprints lower max mail size. It bounces back a message to sender but the mail still makes it to the .mac. I think I'll create a script that then sends an email from the mac saying ignore bounce message....
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion
    I found the auto-checking unreliable and it wasted battery to do it every 15 minutes. This way, you only go grab new mail when you have new mail .. and no other time. Unless, of course, you do it yourself
    ok I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    Marc has implemented an SMS faux trigger method that eliminates the need for other 'launching' programs such as TreoHelper. What I have done is forward all my .mac mail to my Sprint account. The Sprint account notifies the Treo via SMS that mail has arrived. Chatter than checks the .mac account. For a cleanup function I have the mac go back and get the Sprint mail, and delete it after a day from both my .mac server and the Sprint server. Works great. Only issue is Sprints lower max mail size. It bounces back a message to sender but the mail still makes it to the .mac. I think I'll create a script that then sends an email from the mac saying ignore bounce message....
    1. who is Marc? what does this program do?
    2. Use gmail instead of sprint account? and then have gmail auto forward to your SMS.
    Marc is the maker of Chatter, a program to do the same thing, but it costs money.

Thanks a LOT, Open Source Developers!

Also,
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67768
    I really think that Treocentral needs an faq, we keep reinventing the wheel here every few months or so. The whole fastmail/snappermail and treohelper thing has been around for 2 or 3 years now, but no one knows about it until someone rediscovers it each time.
  9.    #9  
    I was specifically trying to get a PUSH email sollution working for a GMAIL account which is what makes my sollution somewhat unique since chatter only supports imap at this time I wanted to use pop since this is the only way to dirrectly access gmail....
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyer27
    I was specifically trying to get a PUSH email sollution working for a GMAIL account which is what makes my sollution somewhat unique since chatter only supports imap at this time I wanted to use pop since this is the only way to dirrectly access gmail....
    Please don't get me wrong, it's an excellent solution and one that many of us, including myself have used for a few years (before recently moving over to try chatter). However, that's really what I'm talking about. It doen't matter if it's gmail or any other e-mail service (before gmail, it was hotmail and yahoo etc), if you forward it to fastmail or any other service that can then send out an sms, this will be intercepted by treohelper and in turn can have snapper pull your email down to you. I know it's easier said than done, but I just wish there was an faq that people could go to for these things instead of having to figure it out for themselves. I suppose that in the end, there is a certain beauty in discovering something on your own that really works well for oneself..
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 03/15/2005 at 02:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyer27
    Don't get me wrong I love Chatteremail by Marc Blanc and I think it is a great application which I myself have paid for but I became fustrated with the fact I had to foward my gmail somewhere else to have access to it at this current time so I set out for another sollution and here is what came up....

2. I then created a fastmail.fm account and paid $15 dollars so I had the abillity to foward messages.

3. I set my gmail account to foward all mesages to my fastmail account

~Jason Rosenzweig
    Am I missing something here?? Your reason for ditching chatter was to avoid forwarding emails to another server correct? Yet (from what I gather) you are now implementing TWO forwarding services to achieve what it is you are creating. From Gmail to Fastmail, then from Fastmail to Treo (as SMS).

It seems as though your method is not any less complex than using Chatter. You stated that you wanted a "push" solution for your Gmail account but did not want to use an IMAP intermediary such as FastMail. However, youre still using FastMail to send out SMS messages once its recieved from your Gmail account. Why not just have all your Gmail email forwarded to FastMail and let Chatter do the rest?

Maybe im not following correctly here. The only advantage I see thus far deals with battery life, but thus far I havnt had any significant issues with battery life running in IDLE mode with Chatter.
    I was wondering the same thing...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    I was wondering the same thing...
    Me three.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    This wouldn't work well for me since I would then have to pay an extra monthly fee to get some SMS allotment with T-Mobile. I never use SMS now and email or IM everyone instead so Chatter is the one for me.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    Please don't get me wrong, it's an excellent solution and one that many of us, including myself have used for a few years (before recently moving over to try chatter). However, that's really what I'm talking about. It doen't matter if it's gmail or any other e-mail service (before gmail, it was hotmail and yahoo etc), if you forward it to fastmail or any other service that can then send out an sms, this will be intercepted by treohelper and in turn can have snapper pull your email down to you. I know it's easier said than done, but I just wish there was an faq that people could go to for these things instead of having to figure it out for themselves. I suppose that in the end, there is a certain beauty in discovering something on your own that really works well for oneself..
    why not just have Gmail forward an SMS straight to your phone everytime it gets an e-mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    why not just have Gmail forward an SMS straight to your phone everytime it gets an e-mail?
    I'm not really sure what you are asking (gmail doesn't have a true sms function does it)? I used to use the described method with my fastmail account (fastmail was my main e-mail account).

If you mean that you can just have gmail fwd a copy of your message to your phone (which treohelper can then intercept), yes you can do that. However, it's not as elegant a solution as the original poster mentioned. There are a couple of reasons this is true, one of them being that fastmail fwd a message to your phone that is under the 160 character sms limit. This ensures that your fwd message will not bounce back to the original sender of the email if the message is over a certain size.
    If you can forward then you can forward to:
    1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

That will send an sms directly to your phone.
    The reason to use fastmail or fusemail is for IMAP capability or if your email address does not forward like Msn or Hotmail.

By tihe way... I recommend Chatter. Well worth it.