Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need a calculator that does financial stuff like an HP 12c. Time value of money and all that. Neds to have decent docs and a small learning curve. I dont wnt/need to become an expert to run it.

Any suggestions?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    KK-12C

It is a 12C. It rocks.

4800 posts. Yikes.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Kurt.

I guess I should have been more specific.

I need one for my treo 650. The one that came with it isn't working for me.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Yeah, that's what I meant. :-)

http://www.kktechnologies.com/kk-12c.html

I use it on my treo all the time.
  5.    #5  
    oh, well duh. The link helped

I looked at it and it looks good, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    PalmaryCalc might have it too but not sure. Palmarysoft.com
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    NeoCal also has financial stuff and RPN.

Tom
  8.    #8  
    thanks guys, giving them all a try.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I've used PowerOne Finance from Infinity Softworks for years (on Palm, Pocket PC, and Windows). I highly recommend it.
    What's wrong with the built-in finance calculator? Which formula doesn't it do that you are looking for?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by barky81
    What's wrong with the built-in finance calculator? Which formula doesn't it do that you are looking for?
    The time value of money section doesnt work well and there is no documentation that I can find.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    The best part of KK-12C is that there is nothing new to learn. You already know the 12-C and this is an exact clone (except it's faster, which is cool).
    BOb's Calculator
    http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...1&prodID=52183

Also, the yahoo group probably has a later Beta version
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RarM_Software/
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Time value of Any suggestions?
    Actually, the built-in calculator can "easily" perform time value of money calculations. Unfortunately, it was not real obvious to me until Barky81 posted. There is a menu option for the advanced financial calculator. If, for example, you are solving for a monthly payment, you enter the following:

Number of Payments: Enter number, then press N
    Interest Rate: Enter number, press "%", then press APR
    Present Value: Enter Number, then press PV

To solve for the PMT, press EDIT on the main screen, which will take you to a separate TVM screen. Next, erase any number currently in the "Pmt" line, then press Solve, and your answer is filled in on the "Pmt" line. From the TVM screen, you can also alter the scenarions for which you are solving.

There may be a way to get this answer from the main screen, but I haven't yet figured it out. So if you are just doing basic TVM calculations, save yourself the $15-$50 you'd spend on shareware.

Scott
    The thing that made me by KK-12C is that I use the 12C every day at work. I have gotten so hooked on it that I cannot use another calculator. I just screw things up. :-) So I bought the Palm clone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sperlsco
    Actually, the built-in calculator can "easily" perform time value of money calculations. Unfortunately, it was not real obvious to me until Barky81 posted.
    Yes, I think it is fine, thanks. You might also mention to him that it will display an amortization table as well...

After you've solved your formula, hit the "Amort" next to the "Edit" key.

It also runs a tape under the menu item "show history"; but I have found no way to save out or copy the actual amortization table.

For those that didn't realize it, there appear to be 10 modes of calculator operation, so check it out.

Of course, perhaps you could just use Docs2Go to built a couple of reusable spreadsheets for the specific scenarios you are working with. I would guess you could sync those back to the desktop for printing, etc. (Just a suggestion I stole from the PalmOne site.)
    Last edited by barky81; 03/16/2005 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Yeah, that's what I meant. :-)

http://www.kktechnologies.com/kk-12c.html

I use it on my treo all the time.

KRamsauer,

I did a search for the HP 12c calculator on this site and was surprised to find information on it. Thanks for the link you provided KRamsauer! I just went ahead and purchased the program today. Can't wait to get the registration password. My only confusion is that the KK Technologies website requests for "Your Palm ID", but I wasn't sure where to find that on my Treo 650. I have an app called "ChangeName Ver 3.2" that shows my "UserID" as 11364, so hopefully this number works. Did anyone else wonder what to enter for "Your Palm ID" when purchasing the program through the manufacturer's website??

I'm currently taking a quantitative analysis investment class, and apparently the HP 12c calculator is the Rolls Royce of calculators that all instructors use to figure out equations. If you can't follow along with the 12c, you'll be quickly lost in this class! The other alternative, the Texas Instrument BA-II is sort of a distant second, from what I can tell. I also have the TI-BAII model, but won't be using it anymore. It's a shame that I just recently spent $80 at Staples for the HP 12c calculator! Oh well, it's still a good idea to have the original 12c handy anyway.

Does anyone know if the KK-12c calculator is more similar to the original HP-12c, or more like the Platinum version of the 12c that has more functions??

Anyway, Palm OS rocks!! Can't believe all the software available out there!

-CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    The time value of money section doesnt work well and there is no documentation that I can find.
    This may be the manual, though under a different name. No guarantees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    KRamsauer,

I did a search for the HP 12c calculator on this site and was surprised to find information on it. Thanks for the link you provided KRamsauer! I just went ahead and purchased the program today. Can't wait to get the registration password. My only confusion is that the KK Technologies website requests for "Your Palm ID", but I wasn't sure where to find that on my Treo 650. I have an app called "ChangeName Ver 3.2" that shows my "UserID" as 11364, so hopefully this number works. Did anyone else wonder what to enter for "Your Palm ID" when purchasing the program through the manufacturer's website??

-CC.
    I believe they are looking for your hot sync id . . . . . . . alot of software is now being linked to your userid (hotsyncid) to prevent it from being given out.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/20/2005 at 01:15 PM.
    I still don't even know where to find my User ID, if not for the ChangeName app.

The KK Technologies website asked for both my User ID and my Hotsynch Name. I'm slightly concerned that maybe my User ID number won't work. I'm still waiting for the password. It appears that KK Technologies is located in Thailand, so it may take awhile to get my password reply.

Actually, this is the first time anyone has ever asked for my User ID. Everyone wants to know my Hotsynch Name instead which is understandable.

-CC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast