Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Unbelievable. I asked tech support via email if palmone was looking into fixing the low volume phone/speakerphone problem that persists even at maximum volume, and they first responded by telling me how to set my volume at maximum. Doh. After I pointed out I already did that, and that the volume on my unlocked 650 is half that of my 600, they simply said they were sorry I was unsatisfied with my 650, and that I could request a replacement by calling technical support:

"I sincerely apologize for the product that might have fallen short on the level of your expectation. Rest assured that we are committed to providing you with the best possible experience with our line of products. If you need to have it replaced, then I would advice you to please setup a Service Repair Order so you may get over with this frustration. Service Repair Order must be set up by our palmOne telephone Technical Support team."

So their lovely advice was to wait for an hour to speak to someone at tech support. And work through an hour of pointless soft & hard resets, and then another half hour of waiting to speak to someone at customer service to get the replacement, and then most likely another 15 minutes to get off the phone. ALL for a replacement that is just as likely to have the same volume problem! Thanks SO much. Tech support via email was SO helpful. And I'm SO glad they could acknowledge whether or not palmone is working on this problem or not.

Makes me wonder why I'm still a customer. If support was this bad when I'd gotten my 180 or 270 I would have bailed. But after the 600 I appear to be hooked, and now hate myself for it. Sorry to say, but palmone is despicable when it comes to customer service.
    I just got my other GSM unlocked 650 from VC. It is functionally identical to the first (which means its earpiece and speakerphone volume is unacceptably low, and has the same slight background hiss). I just put it away in the closet pending firmware improvements from pa1mOne. If I get impatient and decide to sell this one, too, it'll appear in the marketplace section.

Todd/Indy
    ^^^

Sorry to 'hear' that. Sounds like a 650 problem that's NOT fixed by getting a new 650. So...it's decision time...can't live with a phone+ that's not any good at being a phone!
    I came to the same realization today. I have sent my third 650 back to Palm asking for a full refund. I didn't want to get caught with a faulty $700.00 phone in my hands.

I am going to give the Cingular branded 650 a go, and start the whole 30 day process again.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhyte
    Unbelievable. I asked tech support via email if palmone was looking into fixing the low volume phone/speakerphone problem that persists even at maximum volume, and they first responded by telling me how to set my volume at maximum. Doh. After I pointed out I already did that, and that the volume on my unlocked 650 is half that of my 600, they simply said they were sorry I was unsatisfied with my 650, and that I could request a replacement by calling technical support:

"I sincerely apologize for the product that might have fallen short on the level of your expectation. Rest assured that we are committed to providing you with the best possible experience with our line of products. If you need to have it replaced, then I would advice you to please setup a Service Repair Order so you may get over with this frustration. Service Repair Order must be set up by our palmOne telephone Technical Support team."

So their lovely advice was to wait for an hour to speak to someone at tech support. And work through an hour of pointless soft & hard resets, and then another half hour of waiting to speak to someone at customer service to get the replacement, and then most likely another 15 minutes to get off the phone. ALL for a replacement that is just as likely to have the same volume problem! Thanks SO much. Tech support via email was SO helpful. And I'm SO glad they could acknowledge whether or not palmone is working on this problem or not.

Makes me wonder why I'm still a customer. If support was this bad when I'd gotten my 180 or 270 I would have bailed. But after the 600 I appear to be hooked, and now hate myself for it. Sorry to say, but palmone is despicable when it comes to customer service.
    I had the EXACT same experience with my unlocked 650.
    It is completely unacceptable on a device of this price.
    Since P1 is barely acknowledging it, I simply returned it for full refund and I advised everyone to do the same thing until P1 offers an update.
    Viewing the Q3 results of Palm, I don't see why they would rush to work on it.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    No update on the replacement phone yet, but I did find a response from a palmOne rep on this issue on 1src forums. The discussion topic was "Treo 650 voice problem". Its not someone who's directly working on the problem, and it lacks any details, but its at least something. At least he didn't suggest that the person turn the volume up!

-John

// begin quote
    Sorry, wish I could be of more help, but I'm just not in that loop. All I know is that palmOne is working diligently to address specific issues as we speak. And I absolutely guarantee that they are aware of issues raised in forums.
    Kevin
    //end quote
    It's hard to believe that something as simple as the call volume being too low wasn't addressed before this thing was released. I know there are other issues that should have been addressed, too, but this is part of the most basic aspect of the phone.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Bought unlocked GSM phone from palmOne in late February, 1.14/1.05 ROW... low call volume, caller heard echo when volume control maxed.

Called palmOne for replacement phone, received yesterday, same problems but now 1.15/1.06 ROW.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jknuckey
    I have the same f/w, s/w, and h/w versions and low earpiece volume! This leads me back to an earlier conclusion I had that this is a hardware (phone audio circuit/earpiece speaker) and not a software problem. I think the cingular rep I talked to really did not know what they were talking about when they said its a software problem!

Regardless of the cause of the problem, I hope my replacement phone resolves the issue...

thanks for the info,
    John
    Well, I finally got my replacement phone today, and it has the exact same low handset earpiece/speaker volume problem!

I'm now trying to decide if I should just keep my original 650, return the replacement, and hope there will be a Cingular software update soon that will fix the volume problem (as it did for some of the Sprint updaters).

Other than the volume issue my original 650 has been working great. Only two resets in the ~30 days I've had it.

What do you guys think?

-John
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I'm on my 2nd 650 due to unacceptably low earpiece volume. This one isn't that much better so now I'll wait for a fix.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  11. noc
    actually is a little better on the volume issue. It's still not as loud as my 600 was, but it is better than the one replaced.
    This seems to be a major problem with lots of brands. The long anticipated Moto T710 (Verizon) had the same problem (and a lot other problems as well). They ended up calling back 10's of thousands of them over the last year. The Nokia 6620 had/has the same problem. You had to go through every phone in Cing's stock to find ones that were OK. When I bought my 6620 the manager (an aquaintance of mine) and I, on a Sunday morning before they opened, went through around 20 6620's sorting out the good from the bad. We found 4 good out of 20.

Now with the 650, I'm hoping Palm One makes good on this obvious defect either by a firmware update or by replacement. In the case of the T710 there were some class action suits filed. Personally I disagree with the class-action method (because I hate making lawyers rich with no benefit to the parties involved) but if it forces action and awareness on the manufacturer it would be worth it.
  13. ISA
    PalmOne team seems never using a cellphone (Now they 'try' to make a phone). From Treo 600 to 650, there is no pause function in the dialing but we need to use the lousy favorate keys. Please do let me know in the marketplace, which phone like Treo can not accept pause sign??

I doubt PalmOne Treo650 designer ever uses 650 when they make it. How can they think this kind of earpiece volume product is 'sellable'?

Can not hear clearly, how can this be a phone basically? And a 'smartphone'? That is a joke.
    Last edited by ISA; 03/25/2005 at 11:44 AM.
    Worldwide agreement on this issue!!

We have a global concensus.
    Cingular T650
    ...now back to Motorola and a Zire 72!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noc
    actually is a little better on the volume issue. It's still not as loud as my 600 was, but it is better than the one replaced.
    noc,

does your replacement phone have the same f/w and s/w versions as your original?
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Alright, I'm on my third 650 (one of which was Cingular, and the other two unlocked GSM) with a fourth en route. While tech support has never suggested this, I just saw in another thread that someone suggested turning the volume in Real Player to maximum, and that that seems to raise the volume on the Treo overall.

While I'd never opened or used the Real Player application before, and my Treos have all had horribly low volume even at maximum, I just went into Real Player and found that the volume was set very low. I raised it to maximum, and my phone is a lot louder now. It's still not as loud as the 600, but I may now actually be able to hear something on it when I'm outside (and not have to crush it against my ear).

Try this out and let me know if it helps you too. I'd love to think we found a fix, but would similarly like to kill tech support for never suggesting it to anyone.
    Tried it, made no difference at all. I used the 611 greetings as a comparison.
    I am thinking about replacing my 650 due to the same issue. It doesnt seem to fix the probelm but at least it will help motivate P1 to fix the problem and also document my issue. For me it is not unusable, I mostly use the HBH 660 earpiece, its low too but not as bad.

I have Egrips on my phone as well as a screen protector. I take it that I will have to remove both and buy new ones to put on the replacement? Will P1 reimburse me for the cost of the grips?

Do we know for sure if this is a hardware or software issue? My gut tells me software but I dont have anything solid to base that on.

Your thoughts,
    E44
    Well, on trying it outside where I get better reception, the volume was a little louder than usual, but not great. I still found I wanted to instantly use an earbud to hear better. And of course I just lost my bluespoon in a taxi today, so I'm back to the HBH 660 (*sigh*). Hopefully palm will ultimately admit this is an issue and address it. OR, my next Treo 650 will have normal volume. I can still hope, right?

Oh, and I'm guessing it's a software issue too....
    Is this problem exclusive to GMS (unbranded or cingular) or do the sprint phones have this problem as well?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast