Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello

I recently notice that my media work speed is really slowly. I tried the dslreports.com/mspeed and got speed of 27~33. I have gotten above 110 before. I was just wondering if anyone seen the same problem.

I am in the bay area and my signal strength is full. I don't know why. Any help is good. Thanks!!
  2.    #3  
    hey thanx for the reply. i prolly didn't search hard enough....
    I just got my Cingular Treo 650 on March 5, and I have been disappointed with the data speed since the first day. I occasionally get >100 kbps, but it's rare. I usually get something in the 30-70 range at http://dslreports.com/mspeed.

I had a Sprint Treo 650 briefly back in December, and the data speed was much better. Are you saying that the Cingular data speed was better prior to last week?

I am in Santa Clara, CA. The more of these reports I hear, the more confident I am that the problem is with the Cingular network and not my phone.
    My data speeds vary with my location. At work in midtown Atlanta, it's usually in the 50-60kbps range, and at home (about 25 miles away, out in the burbs) it's usually around 130kpbs (just got 131). I figure it has something to do with user density (thousands of users in midtown versus me, myself, and I at home). Haven't noticed any slowdown the past couple of days, though there were a few days last week where the data network dropped out completely for short periods of time.
    <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLUE><PRE>
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Palm Tungsten C \<br> RIM 950 > palmOne Treo 650<br>Nokia ? -> Nokia ? -> Nokia ? -> Moto V60 -> Moto V600 /
    </PRE></FONT>
    If you're looking for speed, Cingular is not the answer. Even in supposedly EDGE covered areas I think the system tends to revert to GPRS speeds lots of times, and you end up with that 30~70 kbps, as indicated by DSLreports speed tests. The highest I've ever gotten was 76 kbps in EDGE area in NorCal.

I wish Verizon had EVDO coverage in my area, but they don't. So, I won't be switching back to Verizon any time soon. For now I'm back with Sprint at 115~142 kbps CDMA 1XRTT, and a PPC phone that is EVDO capable when the time comes.
    I wonder what 600 people in your coverage area on "umlimited data plans" listening to webradio 18/7 will do to bandwidth .
    I have seen the same drop in data speed that Ace1205 reported.

The first 2 weeks I had the Cingular 650, data speeds were amazingly fast. For the last week or so, it has definitely slowed down quite a bit here in Atlanta as well. Maybe coincidence? Maybe they're tweaking the network? Don't have a clue...
    Consistently 132kbps in downtown Houston on Cingular 650. 31-33kbps in Baytown. I'd love some sort of indicator to detect what speed tower I'm connected to. Or for that matter, *any* information about a particular tower, like its ID, so I can get a better idea about trouble spots and "good" spots beyond just intuitive mapping.
    Just bought a Cingular Treo 650. Under network prefs I only have access to a "Cingular CSD" or "Cingular GPRS" service profile. It will connect to GPRS, but the data speeds are horrible. I called cingular and they said that they haven't enabled all the ATTWS EDGE connection points.

Can anyone shed some light on whether this is BS or not? One of the main reasons I bought the device was to get decent speeds with EDGE on the treo and on my laptop via DUN.

Thanks,
    Joe.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    If you're looking for speed, Cingular is not the answer. Even in supposedly EDGE covered areas I think the system tends to revert to GPRS speeds lots of times, and you end up with that 30~70 kbps, as indicated by DSLreports speed tests. The highest I've ever gotten was 76 kbps in EDGE area in NorCal.
    This would be an acceptable reason, except that people were getting fast speeds before, and now they are more like GPRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    The first 2 weeks I had the Cingular 650, data speeds were amazingly fast. For the last week or so, it has definitely slowed down quite a bit here in Atlanta as well. Maybe coincidence? Maybe they're tweaking the network? Don't have a clue...
    I'm gonna guess too many Treo usrs on "unlimited data plans" streaming audio off the web 18/7
    Well, dslreports says 138kbs again today and feels great.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Mine's down to 70-90kbps lately after being in the 130-140 range a week or so ago.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I'm getting 48 kbps, down from around 100 a few days ago. This looks like bad news:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78026
    sunil
    I think the problem is all the new Cingular T650 owners (like me) doing 200k bandwidth tests constantly, all day long:

"C'mon, I know you can do better than 40kbps!"
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd13
    I'm getting 48 kbps, down from around 100 a few days ago. This looks like bad news:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78026
    Again, that was just a postulation on my part s the new data plans / descriptions and reported speed drops seemed to coincide with one another.
    don't know what it is but I have the unlimited pda plan and my speed has dropped from around 120 to roughly 40
    I'm showing downloads at 40kbps here in Atlanta...
    Last week while I was in Houston it was doing over 100. I used to get that speed in Atlanta as well until the recent slowdown. Something different is definitely going on now...
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanguynn
    don't know what it is but I have the unlimited pda plan and my speed has dropped from around 120 to roughly 40
    Well that kills one of my guesses <g>.

Jack
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast