Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have a co worker that has an IBM T23 laptop and the Palm Desktop install CD will not install... Had him run autorun manually and setup.exe manually. Tried in safe mode. Nothing works. It starts to load and then stops.

Has anyone had similar problems? I have been searching and haven't found anything that looks like a similar situation.
    Hello slr001,

This is Kevin from palmOne. Does your co-worker have administrator rights on his laptop? XP will require that to install software.
    Desktop installation issues are rare. But you might take a look at this thread, it offers a solution that might apply to your situation. Note the parts of the conversation that refer to idriver.exe and installation farther into the thread.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Kevin,

THanks for the response. He does have administrator rights on it. I also asked if he ever had an older version of Palm Desktop loaded and he doesn't think so. I did have him check the registry and found a few entries.

I am going to check again and see if there is any error message, I don't think there is.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Kevin,

Here is a little more info...

IBM T30
    XP Pro SP2
    Admin rights

Palm desktop software starts, the user selects "English"
    The "install software from P1" dialog comes up and selects next.
    Installshield wizard starts.
    Installshield wizard completes
    Then there is a message that say the Installshield wizard was interrupted and the installation was not complete

Any ideas?
    Hello slr001,

Has he tried installing the Desktop with Windows firewall turned off and no antivirus software running? Best if nothing at all is running in the background, computers can be finicky sometimes. I'm still looking around for other leads.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    Hi slr001,

There are so many variables that can come into play regarding an unsuccessful install that it would be impossible to make an exact diagnosis. I've not found any specific references to IBM T30 install difficulties.
    We've covered the anti-virus and firewall possibilities.
    We've discussed the possibility that idriver.exe could be running multiple instances in Task Manager.
    We were not completely clear on whether a previous palm desktop had been installed and whether, in that event, all registry entries were cleared.
    Has he tried to install the CD on another computer to see if the software operates properly?
    Is it possible that some spyware may be interfering? It's not beyond the realm of possibility. I would recommend Adaware or Spybot to check on this.
    My last thought is that it may be a Windows related problem. For reasons beyond my expertise, the Windows Installer may have become dysfunctional, in which case there is the "Windows Installer Clean-Up Utility", available from Microsoft, that may be helpful. I hope you'll understand that I cannot vouch for Microsoft solutions and strongly urge you to research this possibility before deciding to attempt it or not.
    Perhaps someone here at TreoCentral has more familiarity with this utility.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    Kevin - first time I've seen your here on the "the boards". I just wanted to say it's GREAT to see manufacturer support out in the "community". PLEASE keep it up!
    He has posted before. Glad to see him stay out of the flame wars.

btw, look at his join date and post count.
    Yeah well what about when you have copied the 680 CD to your HD and then installed it several times. Like most recently I did a format and restore so the previous installed palm app. situation is moot. For some reason I keep getting the error this time. Does the Palm install program count the number of times it completes an install or something?
    Gone Tokin, gurgle gurgle...

JediChuckw/Treo

Going for my Treo 700p and icon thingy!!
    I have an IBM T22 and my husband has an IBM T23 laptop and we both have installed the Palm Desktop with no problems. I even had a previous install of an older version, which I merely removed through Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel. Can't your friend just download the Palm Desktop vers that he needs from the Palm.com website? Also, don't discount a problem with the optical drive in his laptop.