Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see on PiC that Rogers now has the Treo 650. I'm a Fido customer and although Rogers just bought Fido, they're still a separate business unit. So they're selling GSM Treo 650's, locked to Rogers.

Obviously the question becomes..

How easy is it to unlock such a beastie?

Over the months I've seen posts here or there mentioning its doable, and sometimes people have a tool floating around to do it. Does this sort of thing work on any model, or does it work only on specific carrier builds? ie: Whatr'e my chances I can unlock one of these puppies if I pick it up?

jeff
    As of now .... none. There is no (for real) tool (yet). The only way as of now is by getting the code from your provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeezixcodejedi
    Whatr'e my chances I can unlock one of these puppies if I pick it up?

jeff
    For the immediate future, you'd have to get Rogers to give you the 8-digit unlock code unique to your phone.

I have no idea on what Rogers' policies are on doing that for you.
    If you stick with Fido and buy the phone from Rogers, even if you could get it unlocked (which as MisterEd correctly points out you can't as of right now,) you'll be paying full price so why not just order an unlocked phone direct from P1. Or you could switch to Rogers and get the deep discount (for signing your soul away for 2 years.) You're better off with Rogers anyway since Rogers towers support EDGE (the 650 is an EDGE) and Fido towers don't and while you can roam on Rogers towers as a Fido customer (I think you pay a $5 per month sur charge) your Fido sim card will seek Fido towers first.

The only issue with switching would be losing your number. (Well, I guess Rogers is more expensive also, but you can offset that by doing a bundle with Internet and Cable.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  5.    #6  
    yeah, quite a deal Given I can sell my Treo 600 for a few bucks, I don't mind paying something for the 650; I don't think theres a developer discount on that model (sigh), so its up to the usual methods to get one ... ebay, p1, or provider Hmmm..

Thanks guys

BTW, some Rogers agents suggest they can unlock for $250, while others say they cannot.

jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by skeezixcodejedi
    BTW, some Rogers agents suggest they can unlock for $250, while others say they cannot.
    I haven't heard of anyone having a way of unlocking a carrier locked 650, aside from the carrier specifically removing the lock on a particular phone. (There has been much discussion by the Cingular folks over this issue.) I know there was a way to unlock the 600 so be careful an agent isn't confused or is assuming that the same technique for unlocking the 600 will work for the 650 because by all accounts it won't.

I have no doubt that eventually someone will crack lock (all locks get picked eventually) and you'll be able to unlock a 650 for a "fee" but who knows when that will happen.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  7.    #8  
    OKay, thanks for the super speedy replies; sounds like the thing to do is to wait in this case, or just buy an unlocked model from P1 (minus carrier features etc.)

Thanks!

jeff
    Unlocked from P1 in Canadian funds is about $50 cheaper...but I am not factoring in any duty or shipping charges.
    ^what prices are you using

here is the math ive done for a buy a phone only situation

P1: 599USD
    Phone 599USD
    Tax: 89.85 USD (=15% of the phone price [subtotal])
    TOTAL: 688.85 USD (with xe.com 831.78CAD with an Ontario address)

P1: 699USD
    Phone 699USD
    Tax: 104.85USD (=15% of the phone price [subtotal])
    TOTAL: 803.85 USD (with xe.com 970.78CAD with an Onatrio address)

ROGERS: 899CAD
    Phone: 899CAD
    Tax: 134.85CAD
    TOTAL: 1033.85CAD (Ontario price, of walking into a store)

NB:
    1. the exchange rates from xe.com are variant and are that of the raw exchange rate...so thus it will be different with your CC
    2. Taxes (ie the 15%) were charged directly from P1 so that i would not recieve a waybill at all...free shipping was provided by DHL (apparently in the US) and Purolator Ground in Canada (to my house in Ottawa)
    I just used 1.23 for exchange, which is what I got on my credit card statement a few days ago. Since 599 version isn't really available any more, I went with $699 price...in your scenario there is $63 dif.

I wasn't factoring tax either. Wouldn't you still have to pay GST?
    i factored in taxes

i am basing my prices on the free shipping (which did happen) the 15% tax applied on the Palmone US orders....

for the Canadian one, i am pretending i am walking into a store (hopefully thru the door) and purchasing a phone only...ie for 899 plus applicable taxes (15%)

my purchases were to be done, and were done in the province of Ontario
    I'm glad I bought the unlocked from P1 instead..I'm a Rogers customer and in the past got my P800 unlocked for $50 in 2003...then they changed to $250 for an unlock...haha, they are dreaming if they think I'd pay almost $1000 for the 650 and then also pay them to unlock it.

**I'm hoping the 650 becomes popular and they consider changing the damn data rates! I don't mind paying $100 for data but when its capped at 100MB thats a serious ripoff compared to U.S telco's offering unlimited data at half that...Fido has the unlimited data plan but I'm a Rogers customer and dont wanna be swapping sims to have a data connection.

When they get down to $399 I might buy one for the fiance and get her to ditch her Fido pay as you go.

*Some province's also pay PST, I'm in Alberta and luckily we don't pay PST..just GST...I think that stands for "Greedy Service Tax"
    i had to switch to the 100MB for 100, last month with my DAP and overages i paid 120 for data, so yeah might as well pay the 100 to cover my arse
    Rogers Data and Roaming rates are way up in the clouds. It drives me nuts. I wish Bell and Telus would get their act together on the Treo and wireless data side so there was some serious competition in Canada. Rogers always seems to get an exclusive on the Treo in Canada.

I know Bell has the 600 now..but it took like a year for them to come out with it and I don't know a single business user on Bell.
    oh i know eh...pretty dang retarded.. i dont leave canada...and well i am from this month on the 100 for 100 due to the fact in my february bill i used a total of 120$CAD for data (60CAD for my 15MB) and then another 60 for overages
    I frequently travel to US. In most places there is a .95 sent "roaming" charge and a .75 -.95 "LD" charge. Almost $2.00 per minute to talk in the US. It's not pretty dang retarded..it is absolutely freaking ratarded.

On Fido I paid .15 for roaming and .25 of LD. Pretty big difference. Frustration compounded by the fact that Rogers now owns Fido...and in effect all their roaming agreements.
    ghggggggggeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...the only thing i can recommend is adding US minutes to your plan thru the online manager or calling them up
    You can deal with the Rogers roaming charges by getting an unlocked 650 from P1. Since that is cheaper anyway, even before the Rogers $250 unlock fee, it is the obvious way to go. Then, when in the US you use a prepaid service from Cingular or T-Mobile or something. Sure, it is not as convenient to do that, but almost anything is better than Rogers' roaming rates.
    Im sure you knwo about these...but i thought to post them anyways

$40.00 US Add-On plan 60 MN
    $60.00 US Add-On plan 120 MN
    $75.00 US Add-On plan 240 MN
    $120.00 US Add-On plan 480 MN
    $170.00 US Add-On plan 720MN

US Add-On plan 60 MN
    Includes 60 local U.S. roaming minutes. Additional minutes are $0.95 / minute.
    Use the local minutes and additional minute rate included in this Add-On plan to make calls from the United States to anywhere in Canada and the U.S

US Add-On plan 120 MN
    Includes 120 local U.S. roaming minutes. Additional minutes are $0.95 / minute.
    Use the local minutes and additional minute rate included in this Add-On plan to make calls from the United States to anywhere in Canada and the U.S

US Add-On plan 240 MN
    Includes 240 local U.S. roaming minutes. Additional minutes are $0.95 / minute.
    Use the local minutes and additional minute rate included in this Add-On plan to make calls from the United States to anywhere in Canada and the U.S.

US Add-On plan 480 MN
    Includes 480 local U.S. roaming minutes. Additional minutes are $0.95 / minute.

US Add-On plan 720MN
    Includes 720 local U.S. roaming minutes. Additional minutes are $0.95 / minute.
    Use the local minutes and additional minute rate included in this Add-On plan to make calls from the United States to anywhere in Canada and the U.S.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast