Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by skeezixcodejedi
    I see on PiC that Rogers now has the Treo 650. I'm a Fido customer and although Rogers just bought Fido, they're still a separate business unit. So they're selling GSM Treo 650's, locked to Rogers.

Obviously the question becomes..

How easy is it to unlock such a beastie?

Over the months I've seen posts here or there mentioning its doable, and sometimes people have a tool floating around to do it. Does this sort of thing work on any model, or does it work only on specific carrier builds? ie: Whatr'e my chances I can unlock one of these puppies if I pick it up?

jeff
    Its a rip out from Roger's. you are locked in for 3 year contact with voice and have to purchase a data plan. That is BS. It would be cheaper to purchase the GSM unlocked version from palmOne and no committment on any plan.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    HoFo...

Thanks. I know about those packages. The problem is that you have to use the minutes in the month. And you get charged every month. I might travel three times in a month and then not travel for the next two and then back to travel again. So in the two months I don't travel, I am still paying the extra $40 or whatever.

The Roger's CSR response is to phone and change my plan every time I travel. It pisses me off to end when they tell me that. Yeah I have the time to stay on hold and keep changing my airtime plan every 15-30 days. No that's not inconvenient.

Here's a better solution...make your freaking rates competitive. I don't even care if they are a bit more expensive. But quadriple is just a little too much.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    saw you question on treo central. I just unlocked my partners treo 650 that was on rogers to be used on fido. It can be done I finally found a source.

email me if you want more info.

fibronet
    robert@bsdnetworks.com
    You guys are whacked paying the Rogers rates...What a rip...

I bought my 650 from P1 unlocked used the 15% of discount code and free shipping. Delivered to my door in ontario was around $850 Canadian all in.

I also am on Fido using their Country Fido plan $70/mth includes unlimited local calling anywhere in Canada that Fido has coverage, as well as $50/mth for an unlimited (truly unlimited, no cap) data plan.

So for $120/mth, I'm good to go. Oh, did I also mention that my Voice Plan also includes 850 long distance minutes anywhere in North America?

This plan is as good as it gets since I also roam on Rogers....and guess what? I don't pay a $5 per month roaming fee....it's all free.

Also, Fido has the best roaming agreements worldwide. I pay about .45 to .50 cents per minute in the U.S. (includes Fido per minute AND roaming charges)....My wife's Telus Mobility phone is almost $2/minute.

You can't get the Country Fido plan anymore and I locked into it until next May and I'll renew forever since nothing better will probably ever come out (No one is ever forced to change plans at renewal time with any of the wireless providers).

I'm in Toronto and roam on Rogers most of the time, so I get Rogers service for a fraction of what they charge directly.

Just my 2 cents....
    Quote Originally Posted by skeezixcodejedi
    Obviously the question becomes..

How easy is it to unlock such a beastie?

Over the months I've seen posts here or there mentioning its doable, and sometimes people have a tool floating around to do it. Does this sort of thing work on any model, or does it work only on specific carrier builds? ie: Whatr'e my chances I can unlock one of these puppies if I pick it up?

jeff
    There is http://www.e-tekware.com/services.htm a Canadian outfit that claims they can do it for $90 CND. And there is http://www.fonebooth.com/treo650.html a US outfit that claims they can do it for $40 USD. I *have not* tried either of them and *is not* affiliated with either of them. Anyone have any experience with either ?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12