1.    #1  
    Attached is a document that we put together for a customer to enable the Palm contacts and Good contacts on a Treo 600.

Since the limitation of the Palm OS is to have only one application as the default application tied into the phone's hardware, which is the reason why Good did it this way, hardware features like Caller ID will only tie into the default program (i.e. the Palm Address Book). You will only be able to access the GoodLink Contacts through the GoodLink Home Screen or through the "GoodLink Contacts" icon on the Palm Home Screen. You will be able to access the Palm Address Book by hitting the Down Arrow in the Phone Application. Palm Contacts will not update via the synch and, as always when messing the the ROM, do this at your own risk.

This doc was prepared for admins that have pushed FileZ out via OTA. If you already have it or installing via HotSync, disregard steps 1-4.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Is there a way to do this AND have the outlook contacts sync? I was hoping I could sync my outlook contacts to the phone, and use things like voice dialing, but also have Good sync my contacts into Good.

I wish I could use their party voice dialing stuff with Good directly - but if I can't I was hoping I could figure out how to use voice dialing to the regular contacts app (synch'ed once in a while) and then I would still also have Good contacts (sync'ed continuously)
  3.    #3  
    The Outlook contacts (Good contacts) will sync. The Palm won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    The Outlook contacts (Good contacts) will sync. The Palm won't.
    I have been using the following work around on both my Treo 600 and now 650.

After installing Good, delete the "good contacts"

then sync normal Palm contacts... you can then only use the Good Contacts within good with the rest of the system interacting with the native address book
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    I have been using the following work around on both my Treo 600 and now 650.

After installing Good, delete the "good contacts"

then sync normal Palm contacts... you can then only use the Good Contacts within good with the rest of the system interacting with the native address book
    Key thing is to make sure you have backed up your contacts to the Palm desktop before doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Key thing is to make sure you have backed up your contacts to the Palm desktop before doing this.
    I actually have the contacts from the Palm DBase syncing with Outlook as well, instead of PALM Desktop... lemme know if you want me to explain how to get it to work.

-M
  7.    #7  
    I would be very interested in hearing how you are doing this
    To add to the questions (A new, and happy Treo 650 user with a Good install)

If I follow the steps in the Word doc in th orginal post, will the Good Contacts still be able to dial the phone from inside the Good Contacts app?

I'd prefer to have the buttons, caller ID, etc default to the orginal Palm contact app, but still be able to dial out of Good Contacts, if necessary. Will this work?

Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    aaron..

The Word doc is for 600's. Reason being if you delete the Good Contact database, it erases the Palm Contacts in the Palm database (don't ask me why as that is getting into code and I am a sales guy ). For the 650, I am going to verify on Monday the best way to have both, the steps required and what can and can't be done.

Thanks for your patience on this.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    GoodGuy,

Any word back from the tech guys on getting the Palm Contact database to be used as the main record of authority?

Has anyone tried the FileZ fix on a 650? If so, what happened??

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Is there a similar file attribute that can be changed for the Palm Calendar? One of our customers prefers the weekly view the Palm datebook gives on the Treo 600 better than any of the GoodLink options. I understand that the Palm data is not wirelessly synchronized with Outlook .

Thanks.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423
    Is there a similar file attribute that can be changed for the Palm Calendar? One of our customers prefers the weekly view the Palm datebook gives on the Treo 600 better than any of the GoodLink options. I understand that the Palm data is not wirelessly synchronized with Outlook .

Thanks.
    No way to do this for the calendar
    I actually have the contacts from the Palm DBase syncing with Outlook as well, instead of PALM Desktop... lemme know if you want me to explain how to get it to work.

-M
    Can you explain how you got this to work?
    Any news on how to do this with GoodLink V4 and the 650. I am not able to change the attribute. TIA.
  15.    #15  
    On the 650, we don't disable the Palm contact database.

-M

When ever your ready to explain it to us, we are all waiting.
  17.    #17  
    A user here with a 650 did the following. Do this at your own risk.

1. Make sure you Hotsync to get the latest information updated.
    2. On the Palm, Go to Palm Home and select the menu key and the Delete option
    3. At the top of the list, you should see GoodLink, GoodPrefs and then Contacts someplace close by. The size of Contacts will vary because this is REAL DATA, that is why it is important to Hotsync BEFORE doing this
    4. Delete Contacts and do a Soft Reset
    5. VERY IMPORTANT part II Change the Hotsync manager to Outlook or Palm Desktop overwrites Palm. If you do not do this, Hotsync will erase the Desktop information to get parity with the Palm which we ERASED the database for.
    6. After this crucial Hotsync life is back to normal and Hotsync manager can be changed back to Synch both. KEEP IN MIND!!!!! If the customer upgrades to a newer version of Good or Re-installs, the hack/redirect is re-initiated and these steps must be taken again.

He did this and has voicedial running on his 650. I did it and have voice dial running on my 600. Now, I don't have another application that access the contacts outside of my phone, however when I choose 'Contacts' from my phone app, it now goes to the Palm Contacts.
    this works perfectly... its what I did a long time ago
    I've approached this in a slightly different way. I've done this both on the 600 and 650.

(All this comes with the various caveats, etc. Be especially careful of what is overlaying what the first time you sync -- and always have a backup.)

I maintain two full sets of DB's: Address Book, Contacts, Tasks and Memos. Reason being, I use Good for work stuff and the Palm DB's for personal stuff.
    (I even do this in email and use ChatterEmail for personal email, but that is controlled differently.) I sync the palm/personal stuff via hotsync from home, and let Good sync the work stuff wirelessly.

The only mods I have to do is two deletes (or saves to a save folder on my SD card). GoodAddressBook.prc -- this restores the palm contacts db to the contacts view in the phone app. (and I guess changing the ID like in the doc achieves the same thing) and also Date Book.prc -- this is a modified version Good installed to overlay the native one in ROM -- until I discovered this I could not get my calendar items to sync correctly; items I created in palm desktop would not show up (or actuually, show up corrupted) after syncing to the treo.

This has worked for me on Good 3, 3.7 and 4 and on the Treo 600 and 650.

Hope it helps.
    and it's still syncs the contacts with outlook via wireless even though you r not using the good conduit?