I don't know if this was an isolated incident, but I may have bumped into a problem using an old 32k sim card in a 650.

I was on my way to Texas this weekend when suddenly my 650 started flashing red. My wife turns it on (I was driving) and says there is an error message. I read the message: Sim registration failure. We called Cingular customer support. They tried communicating with the phone. No luck. Finally, they credited my account for a new sim ($36) and told me I would need to have it replaced.

It went in and out of service. Sometimes I could just turn the phone radio off and back on a reconnect. Other times it would come up with the registration error.

Unfortunately, I do not know the brand of the sim. Just a warning for anyone using an older 32k sim card (mine was around 1 year old).

bwor
    I have a 32k sim in my 650 but have only had it for about a week. I haven't had any problems yet... And I hope I don't when I need it most.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwor
    I don't know if this was an isolated incident, but I may have bumped into a problem using an old 32k sim card in a 650.

I was on my way to Texas this weekend when suddenly my 650 started flashing red. My wife turns it on (I was driving) and says there is an error message. I read the message: Sim registration failure. We called Cingular customer support. They tried communicating with the phone. No luck. Finally, they credited my account for a new sim ($36) and told me I would need to have it replaced.

It went in and out of service. Sometimes I could just turn the phone radio off and back on a reconnect. Other times it would come up with the registration error.

Unfortunately, I do not know the brand of the sim. Just a warning for anyone using an older 32k sim card (mine was around 1 year old).

bwor

Oddly enough, this happend to me just the other day although I have the Gem 64k sim. I took the battery out and put it back in and everything came back although now my voicemail number is all "0"'s so I think I am going to have to go in and get it changed to the other sim... I just hate waiting at the Cingular store if I dont have to.

good luck

rob
    Just to add another data point, I'm using the 32k SIM that came with my GAIT phone, and I'm not seeing any of the problems associated with SIMs.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I think this was just a temporary error...perhaps because of going in and out of range...seen something similar a few times before and power cycling the phone seemed to clear it up.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Just got the sim replaced because my phone was going haywire (random resets, turn off all of a sudden then wouldnt turn on, wouldnt alart me of phone mail until 4 days later, etc. Went to cingular, the guy knew right away what the problem was (he had a 650 himself and had the same problem) swapped it out for the 32k sim, and presto, no more problems, at least not yet.

rob