1.    #1  
    I bought a used Treo 650 (love it - works great!), but the previous user doesn't remember the 4 digits for the phone lock. The sprint tech says they don't have the hardware or software to reset this pin and are going to replace the phone under warranty.

I hate to waste the 10 bucks and also use up one of the two 12 month warranty replacement allowances. Does it sound right that the sprint repair doesn't have the ability to reset this pin?

Max.
    I'm in Denver, CO.
    Maybe they won't unlock it because they cannot be sure the phone wasn't stolen (I am not accusing you). Of course, if my phone were lost/stolen, I'd report it and it would be black-listed (CDMA version).
  3.    #3  
    No it's not stolen - it's actually active, working and unlocked.

I just can't lock the phone because I don't know the old pin - if it does lock for some reason, then I'd be screwed.

I found it strange that they don't have the ability to reset that lock even with proof of ownership.
    You could probably get it done at your local Sprint repair center. Not your local Sprint Store, but a repair center. Back when I had Sprint service, I had to take my Nokia to my local repair center to get a firmware flash; I expect they'd have the necessary equipment to reset your device to factory fresh settings.

Alternative, you could try a "zero out" reset which completely resets your phone's memory to its factory-fresh state.

Whichever way you go, make sure you have a good backup first!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #5  
    The sad thing is I did take it to a sprint repair center - maybe the tech was just incompetent. I find it hard to believe they donít have the hardware/software to reset a pin.

Thanks for the Zero Out info, but it didnít wipe the phone lock pin

Oh well - I guess I found out an easy way to get your 650 replaced under warranty.
    have you tried the last 4 digits of the person's phone number? that's usually what it is...

ps-
    zero out reset?

"While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and release the RESET button on the back panel of your device. This is very difficult to do with only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync. "

are they kidding? oh my god... they actually made it so that you HAVE to stick something in your mouth to get the device to work...
    as if what was already being stuck there from palm wasn't enough
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 03/14/2005 at 10:47 AM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  7.    #7  
    Yep and those numbers didn't work (he didn't remember setting it either). I also tried numerous other defaults. Oh well the new phone will be here on Wednesday - I'm just worried because I haven't had any problems with this one.
    Did you try the last 4 of his social?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    try the last 4 of the phone number he had for that phone
  10.    #10  
    Well I had them replace the phone and got a refurbished model with all the problems that most people have complained about - so I just had them give me back the original one which works great. I just hope the phone doesn't lock on me
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteMax
    ...Thanks for the Zero Out info, but it didnít wipe the phone lock pin ...
    That's amazing. Are you really sure you got the zero-out process right - did you get the blank screen for a few minutes?

If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity ó such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing ó means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
    If you were indeed successful with that, perhaps you really do have a defective unit where somehow it asks for a PIN when it should not.
    I have a GSM phone but wouldn't a hard reset do the trick?
    No, there are some parameters that survive even a hard reset. Last crash info is one; it's not unreasonable to expect that phone security info would be another.