1.    #1  
    Greetings,

We recently deployed Exchange 2003 on our network. Checking the profiles, Mobile user status is enabled for my account and I can get to the OWA client via a browser. However, when I try to connect using VersaMail, I get denied with the following error:

(0004) The server
    refused the connection.
    Check the network
    security settings.

Something is happening, because I'm getting the dialog for "Forming Secure Connection" and then "Receiving" and then immediately the error message.

We're not Microsoft experts at our office, but it should be a fairly stock install. Are there any additional permissions that need to be enabled or IP addresses to authorize?

Thanks,
    MB
    You have to hack your Exchange Server setup as described on MS's KB and elsewhere.

I don't have the link handy, but I've posted it here previously. Check my past messages...
  3.    #3  
    Hi Barky,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could find the message you were referring to. I didn't see one that had any step by step instructions. Do recall the subject by any chance?

Thanks again,
    MB
    Good luck getting this working. In my experience, Exchange ActiveSync can be very difficult to set up correctly. Having said that however, I have also seen it work on SBS2003 out of the box. I think that the difficulty lies in the fact that the documentation on Exchange ActiveSync is incredibly poor and often error messages are vague and ambiguous. I by no means claim to be an IIS and Exchange expert, but I have managed to get Exchange ActiveSync working with several Exchange servers. Unfortunately I have not been able to get it to work with the Exchange server my mail resides on. What's frustrating is that I have done a side by side with a server I know it works with and as far as I can tell the setup's are nearly identical. Obviously I'm missing something, but I've read through all of the related MS knowledgebase articles and everything else I could find, and I don't know what it is. I continuously receive the dreaded HTTP 500 error which seems to be about as generic as they come. Reviewing the IIS logs shows each of my connection attempts, but nothing in the Exchange logs. Somehow the connection is not being made. I gave up trying to figure it out b/c I was about to go crazy. I think I gave up too late. Anyway, I've resorted, for now at least, to using ChatterEmail which works great for e-mail. Unfortunately no calendar syncs to go along with it. I do hope one day I'll figure this darned thing out. I hope you do too.
    I couldn't get any support from the company IT department and I don't remember all of the errors I encountered when I tried. In the end running Mergic VPN did the trick.

It is an extr step before syncing but getting corporate email and calendar wirelessly was a big bonus for me.
    So how do you do it with Mergic VPN? You PPTP VPN into your server, and then do an ActiveSync?
    Quote Originally Posted by belanger
    Hi Barky,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could find the message you were referring to. I didn't see one that had any step by step instructions. Do recall the subject by any chance?

Thanks again,
    MB
    Hey, sorry, just found your response. I have not been tracking this thread.

Follow the link in this thread. Do the "Method #2 (easy and cheap)"
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaugher
    So how do you do it with Mergic VPN? You PPTP VPN into your server, and then do an ActiveSync?
    Yep. I run Mergic first, which typically get the data connection started and then logs me into the VPN. The I switch over to VersaMail and do a synch. I then use the red phone button which disconnects from the VPN.

It looks like the VPN piecce can be made automatic ... but I was just happy to get corporate email and calendar I didn't invest in automation.

Looks like loading the firmware update is the next big thing though.

I can provide some of the settings I used if you find that useful?

Mike