1.    #1  
    Hey guys...

I must be retarded, but I can't figure out to how to turn my Treo 650 off. I realize that holding down the Power button turns the phone off, but the PDA portion still operates as usual.

I had to fly yesterday for the first time since getting my Treo and when the flight attendant announced that all electronic devices had to be put in the "Off" position, I didn't know what to do... so I just turned off the phone portion and let the PDA be.

So is there a way to turn off the Treo entirely? Or is it supposed to always be on??

Thanks guys... sorry for the noob question.

VNL.
    Turn off the phone and then turn off the screen. That's as good as your going to do, unless you take the battery out.
    Good lord! There's no way to turn the thing off completely? The OS is always on even with phone & screen off?
    Yes, it has to stay on at some level to keep basic PIM functionality, such as time and ability to alert you to upcoming appointments.

All PDA's are this way, Treo is consistent with all devices in this category, not an exception to it.
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
    Good lord! There's no way to turn the thing off completely? The OS is always on even with phone & screen off?
    How else would you expect the alarms and such to work, if everything shut down.

You don't really think your TV is fully off when you turn it off do you? How do you think the remote can turn it back on, if it was.
    Can this be a cause for reseting? Like when you leave windows 98 runing for a long time it tends to slow down and crash easily.
    Please don't tell me there really is a little man in the refrigerator who lights the light when I open the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy
    you're a n00by in PDA world?
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    Turn off the phone and then turn off the screen. That's as good as your going to do, unless you take the battery out.
    Thanks as always Creighton. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ipscone
    How else would you expect the alarms and such to work, if everything shut down.

You don't really think your TV is fully off when you turn it off do you? How do you think the remote can turn it back on, if it was.
    While I see your point, when I turn my Sony Ericsson T616 off "completely," my alarm still goes off. After I turn off the Alarm, it returns to being "off."

Thanks guys!

VNL.
    Last edited by vnguyenlong; 03/13/2005 at 12:43 AM.
    Turning off the phone, screen, and sliding the switch to mute should be "off" enough for flying I would think.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I fly with mine, I just turn the phone off and either use the PDA or leave it be and I have never had an airline issue.
    I was asked to disable "all wireless features including bluetooth devices" during a recent flight..
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    When they ask you to turn electronic devices off for takeoff and landing, make sure the phone connection is off and then just push the power button to turn off the display/keyboard. That's all they're asking for, really. In flight, leave the wireless features off but using the PDA functions is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy
    Please don't tell me there really is a little man in the refrigerator who lights the light when I open the door.
    LMFAO
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcnaught
    All PDA's are this way, Treo is consistent with all devices in this category, not an exception to it.
    While this is true, the 650 can be turned off completely... just remove the battery!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by vnguyenlong

While I see your point, when I turn my Sony Ericsson T616 off "completely," my alarm still goes off. After I turn off the Alarm, it returns to being "off."

Thanks guys!

VNL.

Please think about what you wrote, above. If your T616 is "completely" off, how could it possibly know what time it is, and when an alarm is supposed to go off? Even when off, the clock circuitry is still running, and so is a little bit of code that's constantly checking the time and looking for any events that are supposed to be triggered at that time.

Truth is, any device with a clock is never completely off, or it couldn't keep time when "off." The only way to turn your Ericsson off is to remove the battery (and then the alarm won't sound).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ....Truth is, any device with a clock is never completely off, or it couldn't keep time when "off."
    That makes sense. And yes, I'm a total nOOb to PDAs. I decided to jump right into the middle of the fray & buy a 650, which should arrive Wednesday or so. By the weekend, I will have pestered the hell out of all the experts here until I figure out my new gadget and what it can (& can't) do for me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Please think about what you wrote, above.
    I DID think about what I wrote, thanks. Thus, the quotes around "completely" and "off."

For all intents and purposes, my Sony Ericsson a whole lot more "off" than just turning the Treo's screen off. When I turn it "off" and "on" it has to boot up and shut down... it's a distinct process. Whereas just turning the screen off on the Treo 650 doesn't seem like a process to me... especially since turning it back "on" is instantaneous, whereas turning it off and on by removing and replacing the battery requires a full boot up.

But you guys definitely answered my question. Just wanted make sure I wasn't overlooking something simple.

Thanks for all the help.

VNL.
    dansamy ... Please don't pester the experts here all weekend. Myabe just part of the weekend? :-) Try doing a search on your questions before you ask.There is so much great info on this board you will find your answer easily.

Good luck with your new 650.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Thank you. I'm well aware of how to use the 'search' function and even the advanced search ability. However, being a complete neophyte, I may have questions that seem to be inane & simplistic that no one has previously asked. But, I will at least conduct a search before I hound ya'll.

Amelia