Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After waiting 3 months, the Treo650 cradle finally arrived in today's mail from Palm One.

I can not get my Treo650 to reliably sync using it.

(1) If I disconnect the sync cable from the bottom and plug it directly into my 650, syncs every single time

(2) If I reconnect, and then seat the 650 in the cradle, lining up the angle just right, and making sure it seats ... power starts to recharge, but if I hit the sync bottom, nothing happens.

Got it to work for a few minutes earlier tonight, after several seat attempts, left the house, came back, put the phone in the cradle, and no sync again.

Is there some stupid trick to this, or is this just a poor expensive failure of engineering that I should get my money back from Palm?

David
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Got mine today as well. Plugged it in, no sync. Tried to plug in without the cradle, no sync. Finally got it to work by going back to my original power adapter (not the global adapter that shipped with it) and the sync cable that came with the cradle and now it syncs fine either way. I suspect that the POS power adapter somehow fried the sync cable.

After spending 20 mins on hold waiting for P1 support, I sent them an e-mail. Maybe I'll hear back before I die.....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlevin
    Got mine today as well. Plugged it in, no sync. Tried to plug in without the cradle, no sync. Finally got it to work by going back to my original power adapter (not the global adapter that shipped with it) and the sync cable that came with the cradle and now it syncs fine either way. I suspect that the POS power adapter somehow fried the sync cable.

After spending 20 mins on hold waiting for P1 support, I sent them an e-mail. Maybe I'll hear back before I die.....
    I just tried your suggestion, and it worked ONCE for me, I took the phone out of the cradle ... replaced it, and it stopped working. BUT every single time I plugged directly into the cable without the cradle itself, it works perfectly.

I'm sending mine back. Unfortuately, I'm going to have to eat the $8.50 shipping and return shipping for a defective product.

I certainly don't have the time to sit on the phone with P1 to argue the point ... my time is paid much more then the $12.00 or so this is going to cost me.

Does anyone have the cradle working well? I find it surprising that two of us are having the same problem when I thought maybe I just had something defective.

David
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I have same exact same problem. Only thing that seems to work is disconnecting the usb cable from my computer and reconnecting. Very frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by idfdavid
    Does anyone have the cradle working well?
    I haven't had any problems with mine. I've used the supplied cable/charger as well as those that came with the 650.

Another user reported that cleaning the contacts on the cradle connector helped get his working.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  6.    #6  
    I have tried all of the suggestions here, swapping cables, power supplies ... even cleaned the contacts with an eraser and compressed air ... no dice ... just won't sync.

This simply shouldn't be happening. I've already requested an RMA online.
    Are you syncing with outlook? I know there is a patch from PalmOne for people that have issues syncing the Treo 650.

Al
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Are you syncing with outlook? I know there is a patch from PalmOne for people that have issues syncing the Treo 650.
    I don't have any problems syncing with the cable plugged directly into the 650, only when using the cradle. This seems to be more of a hardware issue then software.
    I don't have any problems syncing with the cable plugged directly into the 650, only when using the cradle.
    What happens when you press the button... does the Hotsync app on the 650 start, or does it do nothing at all? If nothing, have you tried pushing the button a little firmer? My cradle takes a deliberate button press to start a sync... a casual press does nothing.

Have you tried wiggling the Treo slightly while pressing the button? Do all the contacts appear to be in proper alignment (the 2nd from the left and 4th from the right should be approximately twice the height of the others)?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    What happens when you press the button... does the Hotsync app on the 650 start, or does it do nothing at all? If nothing, have you tried pushing the button a little firmer? My cradle takes a deliberate button press to start a sync... a casual press does nothing.

Have you tried wiggling the Treo slightly while pressing the button? Do all the contacts appear to be in proper alignment (the 2nd from the left and 4th from the right should be approximately twice the height of the others)?
    Mark, when you hit the button, the hotsynch app starts on the Treo, BUT not on the computer. I push the button as hard as I can, but it doesn't change anything.

Yes, I have wiggled to make sure it is sitting correctly, all the pins looked aligned correctly, the 2 & 4 contacts are elevated.

I do not see any mechanical problems.

I have tried all the obvious, and some not so obvious ... still same result, sync happens only on T650, but not desktop.
    when you hit the button, the hotsynch app starts on the Treo
    That indicates that the Treo is making contact with the cradle, otherwise the Hotsync app wouldn't start. When you use the cradle is it connected to the same port as the cable that works?
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    did u blow air over the contacts?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Just got a cradle today from COMP-USA (Comp-USA on RT46 in Totowa NJ still has 2 in stock as of 11:30 AM today. They are hanging on the pegboard display with the phones. $49.99.). In any case, mine syncs fine. I am using the $6.00 combo usb/charger cable from eBay seller rjackson (I think that's his name). I've taken the 650 on/off the cradle numerous times and the cradle button works fine.
    Humor me, this worked for me. Try this, in this exact order:

Disconnect everything.
    Restart your computer.
    Plug the USB cable into your PC/Mac
    Plug the other end of this cable (only) into the cradle.
    Insert the Treo
    Plug the power cable into its place.
    (Cross your fingers)
    Press the Hot Sync button.

Yea? Nea?

doctor harrison

There's something about giving it power AFTER the USB connection is made or refreshed. After I did this once, it's worked ever since. Go figure...

In the words of Mark Twain, "once you're going downhill, you pick up speed".
    Last edited by doctorharrison; 03/14/2005 at 04:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Nay.
    I am having a weird issue. When I got the olerr error, I had to buy Chapura Standard XT to synch with outlook. When PalmOne and Sprint had me Install and Uninstall 16 times (no exagerration), not only could they not solve the olerr problem, but everytime hotsynch starts is says Cannot find c:/progra~/handspr~/packins.dll, Hotsynch will skip this file. PalmOne had me paly with the registry and cause the damn error and they have not clue what is causing it or how to fix it. When they called me back they said "Uninstall and reinstall (meaning I would have to hard reset my palm, reinstall Chapura Standard XT and spend at least an hour setting up my phone back to the way it was. My point is not that unsloved mystery (if anyone has answers for why I keep getting the error and how to fix it, please let me know), but since the Olerr error, and occassionally before that, the driver would get corrupted somehow and would tell me that my USB device was not functioning properly. Wiggling the connection to the Treo 650 would work sometime. Reseting the Treo 650 would work sometimes (all I had to do was count to ten and the unit resets itself, anyway. Rebooting my computer works sometimes. On my laptop, when my computer goes into hibernation, I have to reboot in order to Hotsynch since I have gotten that error. I have tried the repair installation when to see if it would fix it without a reboot and it did. However, I have not sent the laptop into hibernation mode since, but will post as soon as I do, and see if the repair installation fixed that problem.
    It worked. Man, I never had one bit of trouble with the Treo 600. What the hell did they do in this "upgrade".
    Good old P1...producing a cradle that will only charge batteries but won't sync. The cable works fine to sync when connected to the phone but won't do a single sync when connected to the cradle.

I wonder how many of these defective units exist?
    An update. I have a number of power adaptors for the T650 from original to 3rd party ones so I decided to try each in turn to see if I could trigger a sync from the cradle. What I found is that the only power adaptor that will trigger a hot sync from the cradle is an original P1 charger. Wonder why?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Not even the original power adapter helps me sync.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast