Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Those with sync issues, please try this, it worked for me.

If you can't sync via cradle, shut the phone (not the treo, but the phone part). Turn it back on. Now try to sync.

Does it work? Mine seems to. Then it syncs for a while...all of a sudden one day it doesn't sync...I do it again and it works.

Please post results of this simple test.

Erik
    i've read this whole thread, adn it seems as though jamming the treo into the cradle (to make sure the contacts are touching each other) is the only thing that consistently works. otherwise, i get an "unknown USB device" error all the time. I have hardware A of the phone, and REV A 0507 of the cradle. what a crock.
    I recently had the same problem with the cradle, but solved by switching usb ports which seemed to do the trick. Also make sure the connector is firmly connected to the cradle...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I got my cradle (the official Palm one) yesterday, and, as others on here have noted, syncing just didn't work.

I think the problem is that all the contacts on it are coated in a film of some sort of muck. If yours doesn't work, try this:

1) Clean the protruding contacts on the supplied sync cable and on the front of the cradle with a cotton bud moistened in isopropyl alcohol. Really *scrub* them. (That's the easy bit...)

2) Use the tip of a pin or similar to scratch vigorously up and down on the metal contact at the bottom of each groove in the connector on the back of the cradle where you connect the HS cable - this area is next to impossible to clean with a cotton bud.

Doing that fixed mine - I think it's just poor manufacturing QC on Palm's part - annoying, but fixable.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Found the answer to the cradle syncing woes. Get the Seido cradle (http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...e=CRSIDPATR650). Been using it for over a week. Not a single problem. Frankly, works better than the USB cable that came with the Treo. Don't know why, but the original cable sometimes refused to sync for hours at a time.
    Mine doesn't sync either. Now I think of the cradle as a spare battery charger. I'm happy!
    It is pretty sad after spending $40+ on the cradle it is just a battery charger. Shame on Palm for the new connector what was wrong with the old one it worked fine. I have cradle care setup to sync over bluetooth at midnight everynight while it is sitting in the cradle. It takes an hour to sync but it is working. Pathetic Palm
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Don't bother buying the new Inno Dock cradle from Seidio... it doesn't do a hot-sync with your desktop, either.

So now I've spent like $100 on cradles and I still can't do a hot sync...

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    http://49chevy.com
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Inno-dock works for me.
    Then you must be one of the lucky ones. When I notified TreoCentral store of my problem, they informed me:

"We have had some issues with this cradle. Would you like to return it for a refund? Please provide your order number."

So apparently they are aware that they are shipping crap and don't bother to check before shipping.

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    http://49chevy.com
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    I had not been able to sync via the cable for months and just tried the posted suggestion to turn the radio (phone) off before syncing, and it worked instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by driver49
    and don't bother to check before shipping.
    Hmmm... maybe the manufacturer should be the one to bear this burden?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I recently purchased the cradle from an ebay store and received it today. I immediately had sync problems (wouldn't work at all), so I did some reseach and found this thread. I had already verified that the cable (w/o the cradle) synced fine, so I assumed it was something wrong with the connections between the cable and the cradle, or the cradle and my Treo 650.

I started trying user spl23's suggestions above, starting with using a metal pin (actually a metal toothpick I have) to scrape at the connection points in the back of the cradle where the cable attaches to it (as described in spl23's step 2). I was then able to sync fine.

It appeared to me that the plastic outlining each thin metal connection point was somewhat "fuzzy", possibly preventing the little metal protrusions in the cable end from touching the thin metal strips. It didn't look to me like I had removed any crud from the connection points, but I probably widened the access to them allowing the cable to connect better.
    Scraping the connectors worked for me too, thanks! You saved my cradle from a hard introduction to the pavement five floors below.
    Just bought a cradle that was backordered for some time. The sucker would not sync at all. Did a search and found this thread. Took a needle and scraped all the thin connections on the underside of the cradle. Worked like a charm. Syncing away with no problems now!
    I just wanted to confirm the fix summarized by spl23. As long as I have had my Sprint 650, I have gotten intermittent syncing with the cable (not the Cradle). Changing USB ports, rebooting, etc. would sometimes fix it but sometimes not. Sprint replaced the cable and it worked for a while then the same problem. Cleaning the Treo contacts with an X-Acto knife solved the problem (you need to see the shiny copper). The contacts are ugly dirty. Does anyone have any suggestions on other ways to clean the contacts or ways to cover them up when the phone is in your pocket?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1138
    Does anyone have any suggestions on other ways to clean the contacts or ways to cover them up when the phone is in your pocket?
    I typically use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and sometime a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Don't forget the contacts on the cable or cradle.

As for protection in your pocket, a case that covers the area is as good as you'll get. Dust and lint are still going to find a way inside the case, so it's not foolproof.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Had them for two weeks but I had not synced them yet, have been only using as a charger. Now that I just read this thread I tested them both with no sync problems.

You'd think Palm tech support would have come up with such a simple fix where they could just talk you through it, rather than just offering you a refund and you having to eat the postage at least one way if you bought it online. All the while making so many unhappy customers by offering a refund instead of a simple fix and sending you to the competition.

Seems to be a bad lot with some type of excess production solution on the contacts.

But I do like the design of this charger where the battery is hidden behind a door . Handy when someone is say cleaning my office at night or another office mate might be less likely to swipe my spare battery, if they don't know it's in there
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234