Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My sync through the cradle just crapped out again. There has to be something with the circuitry on the cradle. I'm just wondering how big the problem might be on shipped cradles. I tried to contact P1 support to do a warranty exchange but gave up in frustration after spending too long on the phone with someone who didn't speak English as a native language. This cradle is becoming an expensive battery charger/paperweight. ARRGGGGHH!
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel
    My sync through the cradle just crapped out again.
    Check the cable connection into the cradle. My original cable that came with the 650 is a loose fit and sometimes works free if I slide the cradle across the desk. The cable that came with the cradle is much tighter, but I haven't found the time to swap them out yet (too much time on TC I guess).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #23  
    I gave up on mine ... requested an RMA return twice via the instructions on the shipping form. Got email confirmation twice that I would hear from someone within 48 hours. After two weeks nothing.

Today I contacted my bank and disputed the charge. More work for PalmOne ... amazing how poorly they handle this. I'm glad I'm not trying to return a telephone.
    Answered this in another thread but did ya swap cables or are ya still using the cables that came with the Treo. Swapping the cables out for the ones that came with the cradle fixed things for me.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Answered this in another thread but did ya swap cables or are ya still using the cables that came with the Treo. Swapping the cables out for the ones that came with the cradle fixed things for me.
    Yep, tried new and old cables ... new and old power plugs ... no difference.
    to get my cradle to synch properly... had to in/out & wiggle treo numerous x's... wonder if material used for contacts has a slight contact/corrosion problem.. meaning (like batteries) develop thin layer on exposed metal decreasing conductivity... they do look like copper/brass.. not surprised.
    bet gold plating would b better choice but would likely wear off eventually.
    I am in the same boat as all those who are reporting that their cradle won't sync.

I took the cable off the cradle and plugged it directly into the Treo, and it worked fine.

Hooked it back up to the cradle, and no sync.

I've tried various combinations: the original cable, the cable that came with the cradle, with and without power, etc etc. Result is always the same: not sync.

So, what am I to conclude, that, after taking months to finally get this cradle on the market, Palm is shipping a pile of defective units?

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    http://49chevy.com
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    I had the same problems not being able to sync. Tried re-seating the Treo multiple times - no luck. The thing that seemed to get it to work was unplugging then replugging the USB cable back into my computer. Have not had a problem since then.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by driver49
    So, what am I to conclude, that, after taking months to finally get this cradle on the market, Palm is shipping a pile of defective units?
    It appears that way based on the number of replies I got to my original post.

In addition, as I've posted ... I've requested twice RMA through Palm's return site as stated on their invoice. Never got a response. At this point, my bank has reversed the charges.
    I migjht have spoken too soon... after reading a couple more posts, I took a good look at the contacts in the cradle, and could see they're pretty cheesy.. so I reconnected the cable and just jammed it hard against the contacts, and... lo and behold, now I can HotSync with the Treo.

Well, it worked once, anyway... no telling what will happen next time I try.

BTW, this is with the original cable that came with the Treo. I don't see any dif. from the cable that came with the cradle.

--PS
    Paul Schatzkin
    http://49chevy.com
    "The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer." --Philo T. Farnsworth
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I must be an chronic early adopter: First a Palm Pilot, then a Palm V, a Treo 300, and now the Treo 650...(my, THAT was a long time ago!)
    Well, I was using the cradle for a week without the power cord, and it was working fine. Today, it stopped working. Pressing the button would start the "Connecting with the desktop" on the Treo, but I'd get a USB device error on my PC. If I unplug the sync cable from the cradle and connect directly to the Treo, it works fine. Plugging the power cable in makes no difference. It does charge, however, but won't sync. Ideas?
    I only have the orginal cable that came in the box and I can't seem to connect with the cable. I get the same error message. However the same cable works fine from my work computer. And I have two usb ports. One for my ipod and one that I try to hot synch with. I tried switching and the ipod works fine but still can't get the treo to get a connection.

It's so frustrating.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Yes everything is set to Hotsync using cradle/cable.
    Well, I have had my cradle for 3 weeks with no problems. Yesterday, I started to have the no sync issue. Have to unplug the usb cable and re-plug to get it to hot sync after a cold computer boot up otherwise it keeps syncing after the initial unplug / plug procedure while the computer is on. I can't figure this out. Anyone contact Palm One? I am so sick of waiting on hold with them.
    Palm One says they are not shipping these again for 2-4 weeks. Anyone know of another place to get them now?
    Boy, am I disgusted. I can't believe we're all using the products of a company that can't even make a cradle that works within the first six months after releasing the phone. If PalmOne can't even make a cradle, does anyone think that they can make decent phones? It's got to be about a thousand times harder to make a phone than to make a cradle. Also makes you wonder what on earth was going on when they replaced the perfectly fine old Treo 600 connectors with these fabulous new Treo 650 connectors that are so much worse.

I usually hate it when people just rant rather than having anything constructive to say, but, this situation with the cradles (first waiting and waiting forever and then finding out that they don't even work) is driving me completely nuts.
    Mine stopped working for one day exactly. And then it started working again the next morning and has (knock on wood) been fine since. BTW, nothing change. It was working and then not without me moving it or anything. And it started working in the same position I left it not working in the day before. In the interim, while not working, I unplugged, replugged, shook, begged, threatened the thing in its entirety. Very strange...
    I found the problem with mine. It was my USB hub. My Belkin hub was giving me problems and I replaced it. Since, no more syncing problems. What a relief.
    I have 2 cradles, one at home and one at work. The one at home failed last week and the one at work failed this week. Connecting to the cable works just fine. It's ONLY the cradle. Same symtoms as above. Cable fine, but fails when plugged into the cradle.
    Same here. Mine stopped working again today! Had worked, tried to sync again later in the morning and nothing. First got the USB device malfunction and then nothing.
    And now it just started working again, also for no apparent reason. I think it is possessed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast