Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ringo Pro slows down the 'caller id' display. When a call comes in it takes almost a good 6-7 seconds for the caller id to display, I wonder if this is normal for Ringo Pro or is it just so in my case. Maybe it also has somethign to do with using KeyContacts as the main 'caller id' database.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I find it that it slows down as well. This needs to be resolved. It is unacceptable to wait that long for a call to come through. Any suggestions?
    Alex
    After reading this thread sounds like the Ringo developers released a BETA!! I just upgraded to 4.35 with Pspeak and am operating a Treo 650.

It is absolutely a pet peeve for devolopers to release buggy programs, that obviously, have not been thoroughly tested and expect that I pay my good money. "Here suckers! Pay for this and TEST it for us at the same time"

Why do we put up with this? Ringo has been around for a long time and they should KNOW better!

Is it me or doesn't this bother anybody else???
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    After reading this thread sounds like the Ringo developers released a BETA!! I just upgraded to 4.35 with Pspeak and am operating a Treo 650.

It is absolutely a pet peeve for devolopers to release buggy programs, that obviously, have not been thoroughly tested and expect that I pay my good money. "Here suckers! Pay for this and TEST it for us at the same time"

Why do we put up with this? Ringo has been around for a long time and they should KNOW better!

Is it me or doesn't this bother anybody else???
    There's no such thing as a bug-free program...even if something is bug free on a "clean" Treo, it might conflict with something else that the user has installed. With the thousands of Palm programs out there, there's no way to be able to test every possible combination of installed applications. No matter how much you test, there is no way in hell you can know what exactly users are installing on their Palms....so try to have a little tolerance. It's also hard to pinpoint where the fault lies in some of these applications - it could also be the way another program was written that was causing these seemingly "bugs" in Ringo.

The developers at Ringo are great, if you e-mail them. I don't think they check the message boards that much, but it's not really their responsibility to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    There's no such thing as a bug-free program...even if something is bug free on a "clean" Treo, it might conflict with something else that the user has installed. With the thousands of Palm programs out there, there's no way to be able to test every possible combination of installed applications. No matter how much you test, there is no way in hell you can know what exactly users are installing on their Palms....so try to have a little tolerance. It's also hard to pinpoint where the fault lies in some of these applications - it could also be the way another program was written that was causing these seemingly "bugs" in Ringo.

The developers at Ringo are great, if you e-mail them. I don't think they check the message boards that much, but it's not really their responsibility to.
    Its a matter of opinion, but I respectfully disagree! The developers DO have a responsibility to review forums where their customers are reviewing their programs. Hell, I'd say it is to their advantage to do so!

You are right, no program is perfect, but there are many developers out there who consistently develop stable programs. I still stand firm that Ringo should do more testing prior to releasing a paid version. Sure there are bound to be isolated incidences of "incompatibility bugs" but those bugs should be the exception NOT the norm. As a developer, they should be testing their program along side some of the most popular programs. Isn't that the idea behind releasing a free BETA; to test out the program under varying circumstances? After beta feedback, I've even seen developers warn customers that their program is NOT compatible along side various programs.

Kudos to Ringo support if they are as helpful as you say. But, if they would release semi-stable programs to begin with they could reduce their support staff by 1/2!

Sorry, but my tolerance is low for such nonsense, and my rant is purely for the sake of debate. Everybody has an opinion, I am just trying to get some feedback from others.

K
    Last edited by nchargreed; 04/13/2005 at 02:35 PM.
    not sure why some peoples phone takes 6-7 seconds to display a caller id but mines doesn't. While it is not super fast it doesn't take 6-7 seconds, maybe 2-3 seconds. I am running Ringo Pro 4.37 w/ EPSpeak.

I would not call Ringo Pro a beta version. The problem with the MP3 playing after hangup is interesting at best, as I think it is a conflict with Ptunes, as I have some other problems with the new ptunes and its resume feature and Ringo. As Lorea has mentioned, if you email your problems to the support team, they will respond. I have emailed them a number of times and always received a response.
    One more thing, if I am not running the announce feature, then my caller id pops right up, maybe 1 second if that.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanta
    I would not call Ringo Pro a beta version. The problem with the MP3 playing after hangup is interesting at best, as I think it is a conflict with Ptunes, as I have some other problems with the new ptunes and its resume feature and Ringo. As Lorea has mentioned, if you email your problems to the support team, they will respond. I have emailed them a number of times and always received a response.
    I think it is a pTunes problem. It's happened to me when I ran LW as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I think it is a pTunes problem. It's happened to me when I ran LW as well.
    thanks...I guess I will talk with the ptunes people to see what they have to say.
    I don't use Ptunes, and my phone is absolutely inoperable when Pspeak is installed. Ringo 4.35 works well enough, sans Pspeak, but the are minor bugs that need to be addressed.

K
    I don't use Ptunes, and my phone is absolutely inoperable when Pspeak is installed. Ringo 4.35 works well enough, sans Pspeak, but the are minor bugs that need to be addressed.

K

What happens to your phone? I just upgraded to 4.37 today. I was running 4.35 and EPSpeak(off the Electric Pocket website) and it worked fine. You say your phone is inoperable with Pspeak. Do note that EPSpeak and Pspeak while they can be thought of as the same, if you are not using the EPSpeak off of the Electric Pocket website then you can/will have problems. I ran another older form Pspeak of this program and the announce feature was intersting at best. When I stayed with what I downloaded from the Electric Pocket website it worked like it is supposed to.
    What happens to your phone? I just upgraded to 4.37 today. I was running 4.35 and EPSpeak(off the Electric Pocket website) and it worked fine. You say your phone is inoperable with Pspeak. Do note that EPSpeak and Pspeak while they can be thought of as the same, if you are not using the EPSpeak off of the Electric Pocket website then you can/will have problems. I ran another older form Pspeak of this program and the announce feature was intersting at best. When I stayed with what I downloaded from the Electric Pocket website it worked like it is supposed to.
    Can you put a link where we can download the new version?

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Can you put a link where we can download the new version?

Thanks,

Al
    I just did an update thru my phone directly from their website.
    No luck, mine says that I have the latest version. Can you email it to me BeLion007 @ aol.com

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    No luck, mine says that I have the latest version. Can you email it to me BeLion007 @ aol.com

Thanks,

Al

do you have your orginal ringo prc you got when you purchased Ringo Pro. Install that one then check updates it will update you to 4.37 (that is how I upgraded today, or d/l from the website and install over your Ringo Pro, that will also work. Even though the website says 4.34 it is really 4.37 they just didn't update the website, even EPSpeak is updated, as it installed differently. When you download and open the zip file, notice the date of the file is 4/12/05.
    I call it Pspeak because that is the name of the file on my file list. I did download it from the Electric Pocket website and I am operating Ringo 4.35.

When Pspeak is installed, my phone NEVER rings. It lights up and I see a call coming in, but I never get the caller ID, nor does the phone EVER ring. Its almost like the caller ID delay that other are reporting is exaggerated to the point that my voicemail picks up before the phone resolves the caller ID.

When Pspeak is installed I also experience white screen lock ups that can only be resolved by soft resetting the phone. For the record, I don't have many 3rd party apps on my phone, and all are very stable database type programs, so there really is nothing that SHOULD conflict with Ringo.

And, for the record, I have contacted Ringo support, 3 days ago in fact, and have yet to hear back from them.

K
    I call it Pspeak because that is the name of the file on my file list. I did download it from the Electric Pocket website and I am operating Ringo 4.35.

When Pspeak is installed, my phone NEVER rings. It lights up and I see a call coming in, but I never get the caller ID, nor does the phone EVER ring. Its almost like the caller ID delay that other are reporting is exaggerated to the point that my voicemail picks up before the phone resolves the caller ID.

When Pspeak is installed I also experience white screen lock ups that can only be resolved by soft resetting the phone. For the record, I don't have many 3rd party apps on my phone, and all are very stable database type programs, so there really is nothing that SHOULD conflict with Ringo.

And, for the record, I have contacted Ringo support, 3 days ago in fact, and have yet to hear back from them.

K

Not sure why the lag in response from support because I got a response within 24hours.

The problem you are experiencing is a known problem (to the support people anyways) with EPSpeak. I have only seen this happen when the phone has experienced a soft reset. After a soft reset, the announce feature has problems, it doesn't reintialize correctly or something. They way I have gotten around this, is by "bouncing" (disable/enable) the announce feature after a soft reset as that resets the announce feature and everything works great. If you experience a lot of soft resets then bouncing the announce feature may be a little more then what you want to do, so until Electric Pocket & Mapopolis figure out why EPSpeak and Ringo are not playing well after a soft reset, you may want to disable that feature.

I do know this issue is being worked on by Electric Pocket, as I have an email from them about this issue.

I have never experience white screen lockups with EPSpeak, so I cannot help you with that.
    Last edited by shanta; 04/14/2005 at 09:54 AM.
    Not sure why the lag in response from support because I got a response within 24hours.

The problem you are experiencing is a known problem (to the support people anyways) with EPSpeak. I have only seen this happen when the phone has experienced a soft reset. After a soft reset, the announce feature has problems, it doesn't reintialize correctly or something. They way I have gotten around this, is by "bouncing" (disable/enable) the announce feature after a soft reset as that resets the announce feature and everything works great. If you experience a lot of soft resets then bouncing the announce feature may be a little more then what you want to do, so until Electric Pocket & Mapopolis figure out why EPSpeak and Ringo are not playing well after a soft reset, you may want to disable that feature.

I do know this issue is being worked on by Electric Pocket, as I have an email from them about this issue.

I have never experience white screen lockups with EPSpeak, so I cannot help you with that.
    Thanks, I did finally hear back from Electric Pocket and they did say they are investigating alternate voice synthesis programs.

Thanks for your help.

K
    I have a CDMA 650 and am running a trial version of Ringo Pro 4.33. I tested it and it shows the picture caller ID right away, no 6-7 delay here, and when I hang up, I do NOT hear the mp3 play again. Everything works perfectly for me here.
    I just upgraded to 4.37 and the only woe I have is when I answer a call the other person hears their ringtone for a very quick second (sounds like loud static). I do not have much installed on mine besides what comes standard -- has anyone had this issue?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast