1.    #1  
    I find the sound a little poor for video recording using the built-in microphone. It occurred to me that you could attach a mic using the headset socket. So how does video recording go with the standard telephony headset? It sounds great compared to the built-in mic. You can easily do voice annotation of a movie you are recording by simply plugging in the headset and talking into it as you go.

Has anyone tried attaching a microphone of any sort to capture ambient noise and other voices?

I like the idea of video blogging. It seems to me that using the headset and recording a daily video diary is a cool way to expand the ideas of photo blogging and podcasting. Here is a site offering this kind of VidBlog hosting. Get yourself a mic and a mirror or just wander about.
    http://www.vidblogs.com/cgi-bin/publ...ogger=obreahny

PS I just started using www.splashblog.com with my 650 and love it.
    A video camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    I find the sound a little poor for video recording using the built-in microphone. It occurred to me that you could attach a mic using the headset socket. So how does video recording go with the standard telephony headset? It sounds great compared to the built-in mic. You can easily do voice annotation of a movie you are recording by simply plugging in the headset and talking into it as you go.

Has anyone tried attaching a microphone of any sort to capture ambient noise and other voices?

I like the idea of video blogging. It seems to me that using the headset and recording a daily video diary is a cool way to expand the ideas of photo blogging and podcasting. Here is a site offering this kind of VidBlog hosting. Get yourself a mic and a mirror or just wander about.
    http://www.vidblogs.com/cgi-bin/publ...ogger=obreahny

PS I just started using www.splashblog.com with my 650 and love it.

splashblog does seem cool- but with all the 'middleware' you have to throw $$ down for to get mp3 ringers, etc, I'll have to get to it later.

i like the video blog idea too, as it would be interesting to try and maintain a balance between something more self-serving like a video diary, and having more abstract footage.

just b/c there is a headphone jack, does that mean it's a microphone input? headphone jack typically means sound out- not in... either way, whatever mic used would be cheapened by all the connectors you'd have to glom together, but either way where did you hear this worked- has someone actually done it?
    go to www.textamerica.com and sign up for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    just b/c there is a headphone jack, does that mean it's a microphone input? headphone jack typically means sound out- not in... either way, whatever mic used would be cheapened by all the connectors you'd have to glom together, but either way where did you hear this worked- has someone actually done it?
    He said "headset" socket...like the kind of headsets that you use for cell phones The headset port on the treo is capable of audio in. It is also capable of stereo out, so it could be used as a headphone jack too...but ultimately, its primary purpose is for headsets.